Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

McRaven resigned from Pentagon board days after criticizing Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McRaven resigned from Pentagon board days after criticizing Trump

McRaven's response mirrors the theme of Woodward's book and the OP ED in the newspaper.

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/13/politics/mcraven-pentagon-advisory-board-trump/index.html

McRaven resigned from Pentagon board days after criticizing Trump

Washington (CNN)Retired Adm. William "Bill" McRaven resigned from the Pentagon's Defense Innovation Board last month, just days after issuing a stunning rebuke of President Donald Trump's decision to revoke the security clearance of former CIA Director John Brennan, the Pentagon confirmed Thursday.

"I can confirm that Admiral (ret) William H. McRaven resigned from the Defense Innovation Board, effective August 20, 2018," Pentagon spokesperson Heather Babb told CNN in a statement. "The Department appreciates his service and contribution on the board."
    The Defense Innovation Board serves as an independent advisory committee to the Pentagon specializing in issues related to technology and innovation. McRaven's picture has been removed from the board's website.
    While his departure was first reported by Defense News on Thursday, the Pentagon confirmed that McRaven, the former head of Special Operations Command, officially resigned last month, just four days after he authored a blistering op-ed in The Washington Post slamming Trump's decision to revoke Brennan's clearance.
    "Through your actions, you have embarrassed us in the eyes of our children, humiliated us on the world stage and, worst of all, divided us as a nation," McRaven said of Trump's unprecedented use of a presidential authority over the classification system to strike back at one of his prominent critics.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

You mean handing secret information to the press should result in losing said clearance? Oh the horror that an elitist loses his TS clearance that normal people would be in prison if they had done the same thing.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      You mean handing secret information to the press should result in losing said clearance? Oh the horror that an elitist loses his TS clearance that normal people would be in prison if they had done the same thing.
      There is no report of releasing National Security secret information to the press by McRaven.

As far as Woodward's book and the OP ED there was no report of of National Security secret information to the press.

As far as is reported in the news none of those who had there security revoked released National Security secret information to the press.I believe McRaven would be very much aware of National Security secret information released to the press, and indicated nothing of the sort. Again . . .

"Through your actions, you have embarrassed us in the eyes of our children, humiliated us on the world stage and, worst of all, divided us as a nation," McRaven said of Trump's unprecedented use of a presidential authority over the classification system to strike back at one of his prominent critics.
      Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-14-2018, 09:50 AM.
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        There is no report of releasing National Security secret information to the press by McRaven.

As far as Woodward's book and the OP ED there was no report of of National Security secret information to the press.

As far as is reported in the news none of those who had there security revoked released National Security secret information to the press.I believe McRaven would be very much aware of National Security secret information released to the press, and indicated nothing of the sort. Again . . .

I wasn’t talking about that sweety, I was talking about pulling John Brennan’s. Even at that, why does a former director need a TS?

BTW, military officers have to follow different rules vs civilians when it comes to criticism’s of the president. Plenty of officers have been sacked for doing just that, IE General MacAuthor being sacked by Truman.
        Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 09-14-2018, 10:25 AM.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

As I understand it, his resignation is mostly protest against Trump's treatment of Clapper. He didn't do anything wrong.

Based on the facts surrounding the so called 'release of classified info', the accusation against Clapper is as 'Trumped up' as what appears to be happening the Kavanaugh.

IIRC Clapper made a vague statement and another person familiar with goings on made a lucky guess as to what it might mean and was stupid enough to declare his guess in a news interview.

JIm
          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 09-14-2018, 11:00 AM.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Shouldn't that be "mCraven"?

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Shouldn't that be "mCraven"?

No, because he is an honorable, honest highly respected veteran with the integrity that tRump totally lacks.

Frank

Comment

I wasn’t talking about that sweety, I was talking about pulling John Brennan’s. Even at that, why does a former director need a TS?

BTW, military officers have to follow different rules vs civilians when it comes to criticism’s of the president. Plenty of officers have been sacked for doing just that, IE General MacAuthor being sacked by Truman.
                Talk about using a shotgun approach to avoid addressing the topic of the thread. Stop throwing 'Red Herring' manure bombs and address the topic of the thread.

I have seen many accusations that John Brennan released National Security State secrets, but no documentation. McRaven does not think this is the case.

Can you please be specific what National Security State secrets John Brennan released to the press?

Again and again, please be specific.

Frank

Comment

No, because I like what he says.
                  Fixed that for you.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Fixed that for you.
                    No, because he is an honorable, honest highly respected veteran with the integrity that tRump totally lacks.

Fixed. Please do not misrepresent my posts. It is unethical. What I stated concerning McRavan reflects his reputation in the Military and the intelligence community.

Still waiting . . .

Frank

Comment

Fixed. Please do not misrepresent my posts. It is unethical. What I stated concerning McRavan reflects his reputation in the Military and the intelligence community.

Still waiting . . .
                      Oh, please. You'd praise Lucifer himself if he said something that made Trump look bad. You're not fooling anyone here, shunya.

sigpic

Comment

Oh, please. You'd praise Lucifer himself if he said something that made Trump look bad. You're not fooling anyone here, shunya.
                        The issue is not me.

Still waiting . . .

Is there any error here in this? Can you cite anyone in the professional intelligence community and the military that disagrees.

Frank

Comment

This is ridiculous OBP. Trump IS basically the bottom of the barrel. Very few can stoop as low as he does. So you might prefer his ideology over Clinton's, but please at least acknowledge there are a large number of people out there whose integrity and honor far exceeds Mr. Trump. And most of them are very offended by Trump. This fellow was so offended by Trump's action against Clapper he felt he needed to resign in protest. Good on him. Trump needs to be confronted with the fact there are people in the world that have integrity, and he is not one of them.

Jim
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            This is ridiculous OBP. Trump IS basically the bottom of the barrel. Very few can stoop as low as he does. So you might prefer his ideology over Clinton's, but please at least acknowledge there are a large number of people out there whose integrity and honor far exceeds Mr. Trump. And most of them are very offended by Trump. This fellow was so offended by Trump's action against Clapper he felt he needed to resign in protest. Good on him. Trump needs to be confronted with the fact there are people in the world that have integrity, and he is not one of them.

Jim
                            Despite shunya's assertion otherwise, this is indeed all about him. I have said nothing about the merits (or lack thereof) of McRaven's criticism of Trump.

On the subject of McRaven, he got his actions backwards; he should've resigned, THEN criticized.

sigpic

Comment

Despite shunya's assertion otherwise, this is indeed all about him. I have said nothing about the merits (or lack thereof) of McRaven's criticism of Trump.

On the subject of McRaven, he got his actions backwards; he should've resigned, THEN criticized.
                              Would that you could bring yourself to put that fine a microscope on what Trump should be doing ...

Jim

Comment