Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

International Space Station LEAK: NASA and Russia remain tight-lipped over findings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Yeah definitely done by a drill.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31125[/ATTACH]
    Lots of speculation going on why and when it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      Lots of speculation going on why and when it happened.
      a lot of scratches there. Either it was really hard to control a drill in zero G, or maybe they were drilling something else held over the spot and drilled too far?

I wonder if it also could have happened down on the ground and they just didn't notice until they were docked? Some maintenance gone wrong?

Comment

a lot of scratches there. Either it was really hard to control a drill in zero G, or maybe they were drilling something else held over the spot and drilled too far?

I wonder if it also could have happened down on the ground and they just didn't notice until they were docked? Some maintenance gone wrong?
        The notion that it happened pre-orbit has been advanced, and seems plausible. That it was not intended, but accidental.

HOWEVER, "sabotage in space" makes a MUCH more interesting story!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It was a tiny hole. Even when they found it, they had weeks before the leak would become a real problem. I wouldn't surprised if it turned out to be an oversight on the ground. The people they put up there are vetted a lot.

Comment

It was a tiny hole. Even when they found it, they had weeks before the leak would become a real problem. I wouldn't surprised if it turned out to be an oversight on the ground. The people they put up there are vetted a lot.
            You're really killing a perfectly good conspiracy, you meanie!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              The notion that it happened pre-orbit has been advanced, and seems plausible. That it was not intended, but accidental.

HOWEVER, "sabotage in space" makes a MUCH more interesting story!
              yeah when it was in the ISS, it would have had to be sabotage. but since it was in the Soyuz it could have happened on the ground and been that way all along. If it was sabotage, it was really sloppy work, like someone had never used a drill before.

Comment

yeah when it was in the ISS, it would have had to be sabotage.
                No new parts have been added to the ISS in a long time, and the Shuttle isn't there anymore. It happened on the Soyuz module and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the Shuttles weren't perfectly air tight. If it had been in any of the lab modules the leak would have been detected years ago.

If it was sabotage, it was really sloppy work, like someone had never used a drill before.
                The idea is that whoever sabotaged it wanted to get down earlier. Only problem is that the issue is so easily fixed. I mean they applied a quick patch of ducttabe and slapped on some epoxy and rubber, and likely applied a third patch of something else on top of that to satisfy the engineers down on the surface.

Comment

No new parts have been added to the ISS in a long time, and the Shuttle isn't there anymore. It happened on the Soyuz module and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the Shuttles weren't perfectly air tight. If it had been in any of the lab modules the leak would have been detected years ago.

The idea is that whoever sabotaged it wanted to get down earlier. Only problem is that the issue is so easily fixed. I mean they applied a quick patch of ducttabe and slapped on some epoxy and rubber, and likely applied a third patch of something else on top of that to satisfy the engineers down on the surface.
                  Yeah that makes it sound more like some accident.

Comment