Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Manafort fesses up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Wikipedia? Seriously?

Also, don't think I didn't notice how you carefully cut out the part stating that this is what Clinton claims.
    That would be a characterization. There was no 'careful cut', which would imply somehow I'm on Clinton's side with this. I am not.

That is Clinton's defense. But that defense has no teeth if they did not testify to the same under oath. Or if they did not describe the interactions as consensual to friends.

The point of my post was NOT to defend Clinton (though that is consistent with how you interpret any post that pushes back against a Republican or your own POV)

The point was to say 'what is good for the goose is good for the gander'. You can't objectively (or morally) use two opposing standards of proof, one for Democrats and the other for Republicans.

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

No, it's because I gave you a substantive response citing credible, relevant sources, and you just laughed it off.
      No - MM - i did not. I gave no response to it at all, because it wasn't relevant to my point. I did read it and, as I said, always appreciate any additional information on a topic. And that information reinforces my own view that Clinton - in this area - is a pretty bad apple.

But that isn't the point. I was responding to your double standard of proof as regards Clinton and Trump*, and the impact of an unfair standard potentially on Kavanaugh.

Jim

*Most specifically that you give a major pass Trump on area's you willingly crucify Clinton. With the caveat that it is not Clinton you should go lighter on, but rather Trump you should be more critical of.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        You never disappoint MM*.

As I said, I am no fan of Clinton - he is as much a cad in this area as anyone.

However, while I realize you will defend Trump till his dying breath, and that your absolute hatred of all things non-Republican knows no real bounds, nevertheless, nothing in your response says anything contrary to or of any value in rebuttal against my comment. In summary, it is simply hypocritical to hold two different standards of proof for nefarious goings on. One very loose and hyper-skeptical of any accusers, which you apply to Republicans, and one very strict and naively trustful of the accusers, which you apply to Democrats.

Jim

*And I do always appreciate additional information on any topic, regardless the source - so thanks for that element of your post.
        Jim you said it was never proven he committed rape (true) but then you went on to say in your quote that he was not even accused of it by the women, that is was entirely consentual. MM showed you that last part was false, the women DID accuse him of rape.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Jim you said it was never proven he committed rape (true) but then you went on to say in your quote that he was not even accused of it by the women, that is was entirely consentual. MM showed you that last part was false, the women DID accuse him of rape.
          I did not say he was never accused. I said it was never proven and pointed out contradictions in their testimony.

Your mantra is that none of the charges against Trump have been proven. You repeatedly point to contradictions as justification for dismissing the accusations.

My point is not your failure to properly assess Clinton, but rather your turning of a blind eye to the same or similar offenses when it comes to Trump.

Read more carefully MM.

Jim

Comment

Two different testimonies* at two different times == contradiction.

I'm not sure how you are being confused by this Sparko.

Jim

Source: wikipedia

noting that (in the case of Broaddrick and Willey) they previously testified under oath ...

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by oxmixmudd; 09-18-2018, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmuddle View Post
              I ... pointed out contradictions in their testimony.
              No, you pointed out a self-serving Wikipedia quote from Bill Clinton claiming a contradiction but deceptively cut the quote to avoid revealing the fact that it was coming from Bill Clinton (what other reason is there for you to start the quote in the middle of a sentence instead of quoting the entire thing?). To counter this, I gave you sources quoting the women themselves along with other sources who were told about the incident at the time it happened, and you literally laughed it off and launched into a pathetic ad hominem fallacy.

Originally posted by oxmixmuddle View Post
              Read more carefully MM.
              Speaking of reading more carefully, you were responding to Sparko, not me.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I did not say he was never accused. I said it was never proven and pointed out contradictions in their testimony.

Your mantra is that none of the charges against Trump have been proven. You repeatedly point to contradictions as justification for dismissing the accusations.

My point is not your failure to properly assess Clinton, but rather your turning of a blind eye to the same or similar offenses when it comes to Trump.

Read more carefully MM.

Jim
                Oh the irony. I am not MM.

Comment

Though you are sometimes hard to distinguish.
                  Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                  MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

DIf I do that? Sorry about that. I do see you two the same at all, though I was Hasting the both of you at the same time

Comment

There is no evidence that Trump is a sexual predator. Trump had extramarital affairs with consenting partners. Bill Clinton, on the other hand, committed rape. And please don't insult our intelligence by trying to create a moral equivalence between what Trump merely said on the infamous Access Hollywood recording, and what Clinton actually did.

Trump is no choir boy, but there is a BIG difference between him and Slick Willy
                      The point is that both liberals and Christian conservatives hold to a doctrine of ideology over integrity.
                      "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                      Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                      Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        And you don't see me defending any of Trump's sexual escapades. Not a single time.
                        And the point wasn't really about defending sexual escapades, but about overlooking them, because "he's on our side."
                        Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                          And the point wasn't really about defending sexual escapades, but about overlooking them, because "he's on our side."
                          He hasn't had any escapades while in office or for a long time previous. He claims to have become a Christian. Maybe give him the benefit of the doubt that he has changed until he proves differently?

Comment

DIf I do that? Sorry about that. I do see you two the same at all, though I was Hasting the both of you at the same time
                            Could you please translate this?
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Ok, let's try that again. Running to catch a plane and the speach recognition on this phone is not the best.

Sorry about the mix up. I do NOT see you and MM as 'the same', though I do seem to be confusing 'names and faces' a bit here. A life long frustration that I work to avoid but I've been rushing around a lot lately and have not had time in many cases to proof my posts.

Jim

Comment

He hasn't had any escapades while in office or for a long time previous. He claims to have become a Christian. Maybe give him the benefit of the doubt that he has changed until he proves differently?
                                I'll give him the benefit of the doubt when I see some of the fruit of the spirit in his life. Being a Christian doesn't mean I have to accept the claims of everyone else who says they're a Christian, especially a politician who thinks he can manipulate my vote. If we are cynics and believe that we should suspect that most politicians are dishonest, then it is wise to be cynical about Trump's claims of finding Jesus.
                                Save me, save me"

Comment