Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Manafort fesses up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    I thought it was a pretty devastating comeback, actually.
    Careful. Jim might think you're being serious.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      I thought it was a pretty devastating comeback, actually.
      I'm amazed OBP hasn't resigned in disgrace!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        Corroboration.
        From who? other people pressured into saying what Mueller wants them to say?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          From who? other people pressured into saying what Mueller wants them to say?
          “Follow the money.”
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I'm amazed OBP hasn't resigned in disgrace!
            Fair point. After this is all over, there might have to be a few changes around here.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

One thing I've actually wondered- ok, none of the publicly announced convictions from those closely tied to trump from his campaign or afterwards have been about collusion as such, they are criminal convictions of those close to him.

Why does he have such a number of criminal associates, and why is this not really discussed by people who voted for him? Especially by those who voted for him as the lesser of two evils (the ones who claim not to support him, but at the same time don't attack him either)

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                One thing I've actually wondered- ok, none of the publicly announced convictions from those closely tied to trump from his campaign or afterwards have been about collusion as such, they are criminal convictions of those close to him.

Why does he have such a number of criminal associates, and why is this not really discussed by people who voted for him? Especially by those who voted for him as the lesser of two evils (the ones who claim not to support him, but at the same time don't attack him either)
                It wasn't about voting for the lesser of two evils; it was about advancing a world view. For all practical considerations, it doesn't matter to most conservatives that Trump is a scumbag so long as he supports key conservative doctrines. It didn't matter to liberals that Clinton was a scumbag either.
                "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                  It wasn't about voting for the lesser of two evils; it was about advancing a world view. For all practical considerations, it doesn't matter to most conservatives that Trump is a scumbag so long as he supports key conservative doctrines. It didn't matter to liberals that Clinton was a scumbag either.
                  Ah, another mind reader! I have consistently said it was, for me, the lesser of two evils (or the evil of two lessers) and that my main objective was...

A) Hillary not be POTUS
                  2) SCOTUS not be Hillary's.

I really didn't know much about Trump at the time except that he wasn't Hillary and the liberals hated him.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

For myself at least, not speaking for anyone else, I've just become accustomed to the down right dirtiness of politics. I mean, how do we think all these people in both houses of congress get so rich while on a gov't salary? I know some of them were rich to start off, but by no means are they all that way. It's not that we like it, but acceptance as BAU has settled in I'm afraid...
                    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                      For myself at least, not speaking for anyone else, I've just become accustomed to the down right dirtiness of politics. I mean, how do we think all these people in both houses of congress get so rich while on a gov't salary? I know some of them were rich to start off, but by no means are they all that way. It's not that we like it, but acceptance as BAU has settled in I'm afraid...
                      That's a good point -- if any of the friends or associates of any of the other politicians or POTUS candidates were given the relentless anal exam that Trump's associates are receiving, you'd probably come up with quite a bit of stench there, also.

Comment

I'm not seeing "such a [large] number of criminal associates" - I see a couple people who panicked and lied to the FBI, and a couple people convicted of fiscal impropriety, and a bunch of Russians who aren't actual associates. It seems that those who broke financial laws did so surreptitiously; not sure Trump is culpable for stuff other people tried to hide. Cynical me is of the opinion that pretty much any wealthy business man could be found to have violated financial laws if one looks closely enough, and targets of investigation have been chosen mostly for their association with Trump.

No idea if you're aiming at me with the last bit, but I've stated several times that Trump needs to reign in his Twitter account, and be much more careful about what he says. I'm also not at all happy with his crude womanizing past, but he seems to be behaving these days.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          I'm not seeing "such a [large] number of criminal associates" - I see a couple people who panicked and lied to the FBI, and a couple people convicted of fiscal impropriety, and a bunch of Russians who aren't actual associates. It seems that those who broke financial laws did so surreptitiously; not sure Trump is culpable for stuff other people tried to hide. Cynical me is of the opinion that pretty much any wealthy business man could be found to have violated financial laws if one looks closely enough, and targets of investigation have been chosen mostly for their association with Trump.

No idea if you're aiming at me with the last bit, but I've stated several times that Trump needs to reign in his Twitter account, and be much more careful about what he says. I'm also not at all happy with his crude womanizing past, but he seems to be behaving these days.
                          I amen'd this post. BEFORE I reported it!

Comment

Ah, the "guilt by association" fallacy.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

A) Hillary not be POTUS
                              2) SCOTUS not be Hillary's.
                              That is, that the supreme court advance conservative values.
                              "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                              Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                              Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                                That is, that the supreme court advance conservative values.
                                No, to protect us from activist judges.

Comment