Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Manafort fesses up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manafort fesses up.

I hope all of you are having as much fun as I am. Rachel rocks!
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Another nothing-burger as far as Trump and the mythical "Russian collusion" narrative is concerned.

Source: Manafort Plea Deal Casts New Scrutiny on Lobbyists He Recruited

WASHINGTON — In 2012, Paul Manafort had a problem. He was seeking a way to bolster the interests of his pro-Russian Ukrainian clients in Washington, but he did not want to set off tough federal disclosure rules for foreign lobbying.

His solution, federal prosecutors say, was to help the Ukrainians create a nonprofit group in Brussels. He then recruited a pair of top lobbying firms to represent the group, an arrangement intended to obscure the fingerprints of the ultimate beneficiary of the lobbying — the Russia-aligned president of Ukraine, Viktor F. Yanukovych, and his oligarch-backed political party.

But even some people at the lobbying firms he recruited saw the nonprofit group, the European Center for a Modern Ukraine, as a sham, according to new evidence laid out by prosecutors when they unveiled a plea agreement with Mr. Manafort in federal court in Washington on Friday.

[...]

Nonetheless, the Podesta Group and Mercury went along with Mr. Manafort’s ruse, despite the reservations now coming to light. Relying on the written attestation from the European Center, which paid them more than $1 million each, the firms initially registered their engagement with the center under less rigorous congressional lobbying disclosure rules, and not under the foreign lobbying disclosure rules. It was not until last year, when the work came under scrutiny from the Justice Department — about three years after it ended in 2014 (In other words, 2-years before Trump announced his candidacy. -MM) — that the firms retroactively registered their work for the European Center under the more rigorous Foreign Agents Registration Act.

Now, that work, and the decision not to disclose it under the Foreign Agents Registration Act, has turned Podesta and Mercury into subjects of interest in a series of linked investigations that have roiled Washington’s lobbying industry by exposing the sometimes surreptitious ways in which foreign interests try to buy influence.

[...]

The plea deal ignited speculation about how prosecutors might try to use Mr. Manafort to build a case against President Trump, for whom Mr. Manafort served as a top campaign official for nearly five months in 2016.

But Mr. Manafort’s friends, and associates who worked with him in Ukraine, say that he might have more valuable information about Russian and Ukrainian oligarchs and politicians, and the Western firms that have helped them, including ones that he recruited, such as Podesta, Mercury and Skadden.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/14/u...sclosures.html

© Copyright Original Source

So what does this have to do with Trump? Well, nothing, actually:

Source: Paul Manafort’s Plea…

Former convention delegate manager Paul Manafort, entered into a plea deal today with Special Counsel Robert Mueller for issues related to his lobbying firm and FARA registry violations. The plea has nothing to do with candidate Trump, president-elect Trump, or President Trump. Manafort agrees to cooperate with federal prosecutors regarding other issues surrounding his lobbying network and affiliates.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...anaforts-plea/

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Another nothing-burger as far as Trump and the mythical "Russian collusion" narrative is concerned.

Source: Manafort Plea Deal Casts New Scrutiny on Lobbyists He Recruited

WASHINGTON — In 2012, Paul Manafort had a problem. He was seeking a way to bolster the interests of his pro-Russian Ukrainian clients in Washington, but he did not want to set off tough federal disclosure rules for foreign lobbying.

His solution, federal prosecutors say, was to help the Ukrainians create a nonprofit group in Brussels. He then recruited a pair of top lobbying firms to represent the group, an arrangement intended to obscure the fingerprints of the ultimate beneficiary of the lobbying — the Russia-aligned president of Ukraine, Viktor F. Yanukovych, and his oligarch-backed political party.

But even some people at the lobbying firms he recruited saw the nonprofit group, the European Center for a Modern Ukraine, as a sham, according to new evidence laid out by prosecutors when they unveiled a plea agreement with Mr. Manafort in federal court in Washington on Friday.

[...]

Nonetheless, the Podesta Group and Mercury went along with Mr. Manafort’s ruse, despite the reservations now coming to light. Relying on the written attestation from the European Center, which paid them more than $1 million each, the firms initially registered their engagement with the center under less rigorous congressional lobbying disclosure rules, and not under the foreign lobbying disclosure rules. It was not until last year, when the work came under scrutiny from the Justice Department — about three years after it ended in 2014 (In other words, 2-years before Trump announced his candidacy. -MM) — that the firms retroactively registered their work for the European Center under the more rigorous Foreign Agents Registration Act.

Now, that work, and the decision not to disclose it under the Foreign Agents Registration Act, has turned Podesta and Mercury into subjects of interest in a series of linked investigations that have roiled Washington’s lobbying industry by exposing the sometimes surreptitious ways in which foreign interests try to buy influence.

[...]

The plea deal ignited speculation about how prosecutors might try to use Mr. Manafort to build a case against President Trump, for whom Mr. Manafort served as a top campaign official for nearly five months in 2016.

But Mr. Manafort’s friends, and associates who worked with him in Ukraine, say that he might have more valuable information about Russian and Ukrainian oligarchs and politicians, and the Western firms that have helped them, including ones that he recruited, such as Podesta, Mercury and Skadden.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/14/u...sclosures.html

So what does this have to do with Trump? Well, nothing, actually:

Source: Paul Manafort’s Plea…

Former convention delegate manager Paul Manafort, entered into a plea deal today with Special Counsel Robert Mueller for issues related to his lobbying firm and FARA registry violations. The plea has nothing to do with candidate Trump, president-elect Trump, or President Trump. Manafort agrees to cooperate with federal prosecutors regarding other issues surrounding his lobbying network and affiliates.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...anaforts-plea/

You have no idea what Manafort knows and what he will, under this plea agreement, have no choice but to divulge to Mueller. But keep those fingers crossed MM. And btw, Manafort was working on behalf of Russia in Ukraine, not on behalf of Ukraine.

Comment

Then there's this from NPR:

npr.jpg
        https://twitter.com/nprpolitics/stat...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

And from MSNBC Legal Analyst Danny Cevallo:

"I take issue with the assumption that it must relate to Russia. Mueller is investigating things that may arise from his investigation of Russia, and we’ve seen he has the authority to do that. And when you look at those pictures that you put up a few minutes ago, George Papadopoulos, not connected to Russia in his plea. He pleaded guilty to lying. Michael Flynn pleaded guilty to lying. … Alex Van Der Zwaan, pleaded guilty to lying. Now, of course, when you talk about, is it related to Russia? Yeah, I realize there are two Russian flags in the bottom right corner of the screen. So, the indictments are related somewhat to Russia. But when I look at that screen there, I see one, two, three, four, five faces that arguably had very little, if anything at all, to do with Russia."

And now to help put things into perspective:

Source: Manafort Deal Looks Like Good News for Trump, Terrible News for Democrats

Something rarely brought up by our utterly useless but still corrupt establishment media is that in order for someone to “flip,” that someone has to have the goods on someone else. In other words, if you want to deal your way out of prison time, you have to have something to deal with; you actually have to serve someone’s head up on a platter.

Nevertheless, all throughout the Russian Collusion Hoax, and every time someone agrees to “cooperate” with Mueller, the media squee like the 14-year-old girls they all are and then intentionally mislead the public by matter-of-factly saying, “This is bad news for Trump.”

Well, no, actually it is not.

The only way someone “flipping” is bad news for Trump is if he has indeed done something illegal, and as of right now, after nearly three years of 24/7 scrutiny at the hands of a beyond-corrupt FBI, two years of scrutiny from a rabidly partisan media, two congressional investigations, and 18 months of an unaccountable fishing expedition by a herd of Democrat Dirty Cops in the special counsel office, they got exactly zippo.

In other words, so far none of these so-called flippers has flipped on Trump.

One wonders how many other politicians could weather the kind of scrutiny Trump is facing.

[...]

Ken Vogel, a Democrat-operative who plays the role of “reporter” at the far-left New York Times, has been forced to report that powerful Democrats linked to Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama might be in the Mueller crosshairs.

[...]

Wouldn’t it be something if, like the #MeToo movement, this whole Russian Collusion Hoax blew up in the smug face of Democrats?

https://www.breitbart.com/big-journa...for-democrats/

Sorry, dirtfloor, but if your girlfriend Rachel Madcow is hyperventaliting about this and hollering, "We got Trump! We finally got him! We finally got him!" then somebody needs to tell her to calm down before she breaks the hearts you precious snowflakes all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
          You have no idea what Manafort knows and what he will, under this plea agreement, have no choice but to divulge to Mueller. But keep those fingers crossed MM. And btw, Manafort was working on behalf of Russia in Ukraine, not on behalf of Ukraine.
          You still don't understand how this works, do you? If a prosecutor is trying to get the small fish to flip on the big fish, he first charges the small fish with the big crime, gets him to plead guilty in exchange for a reduced sentence, and then uses that guilty plea as evidence to go after the big fish.

Now consider the fact that none of Mueller's indictments to date have so much as laid a pinky on Trump, and see if you can figure out the rest for yourself.

Comment

You still don't understand how this works, do you? If a prosecutor is trying to get the small fish to flip on the big fish, he first charges the small fish with the big crime, gets him to plead guilty in exchange for a reduced sentence, and then uses that guilty plea as evidence to go after the big fish.

Now consider the fact that none of Mueller's indictments to date have so much as laid a pinky on Trump, and see if you can figure out the rest for yourself.
            Once again, you have no idea what Manafort knows, or what Mueller now knows as a result of Manaforts plea deal. Prosecuters don't make these plea deals in the hope that the little fish "just might" know something that implicates the big fish, they make them when they know exactly what it is that the little fish has and whether it is worth the deal. It's just a matter of time, MM, just a matter of time.

Comment

Once again, you have no idea what Manafort knows, or what Mueller now knows as a result of Manaforts plea deal. Prosecuters don't make these plea deals in the hope that the little fish "just might" know something that implicates the big fish, they make them when they know exactly what it is that the little fish has and whether it is worth the deal. It's just a matter of time, MM, just a matter of time.
              What you say is true... only the "big fish" in this case isn't Trump. Read the sources I've provided, Jimmy. No point wallowing in partisan ignorance when the information is literally right in front of your face.

Comment

Comment

What you say is true... only the "big fish" in this case isn't Trump. Read the sources I've provided, Jimmy. No point wallowing in partisan ignorance when the information is literally right in front of your face.
                  I know you like to think that you do, MM, but you know nothing.

Comment

I know you like to think that you do, MM, but you know nothing.
                    You remind me of a high school student preparing for a debate who writes a note in the margin that reads, "Weak point; shout louder."

Comment

Podesta Group.... Where have I seen that before?
                      Source: NBC

In October, NBC News was the first to report that Democratic lobbyist Tony Podesta and the Podesta Group were being investigated by Mueller’s office.

Tony Podesta is the chairman of the Podesta Group and the brother of John Podesta, Hillary Clinton's former presidential campaign chairman. John Podesta is not currently affiliated with the Podesta Group and is not part of the investigation.

The probe of Tony Podesta and his Democratic-leaning lobbying firm grew out of Mueller's inquiry into the finances of former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, according to the sources.

link

Oh, THAT Podesta Group.

Methinks Trump is not the 2016 candidate who should be worried about this.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        Methinks Trump is not the 2016 candidate who should be worried about this.
                        "But Rachel Maddow said...!"

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                          I hope all of you are having as much fun as I am. Rachel rocks!
                          Fesses up? Do you live in Mayberry or something?
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

You remind me of a high school student preparing for a debate who writes a note in the margin that reads, "Weak point; shout louder."
                            High School? THAT advanced?
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I take it from the answers so far that, no, you’re not having as much fun as I am. I’m thinking Alec Baldwin for the movie with the usual cast from SNL.
                              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment