Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Manafort fesses up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
    That is, that the supreme court advance conservative values.
    If by "advance conservative values" you mean uphold the law and the Constitution and not attempt to legislate from the bench then absolutely.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      I'm not seeing "such a [large] number of criminal associates" - I see a couple people who panicked and lied to the FBI, and a couple people convicted of fiscal impropriety, and a bunch of Russians who aren't actual associates. It seems that those who broke financial laws did so surreptitiously; not sure Trump is culpable for stuff other people tried to hide. Cynical me is of the opinion that pretty much any wealthy business man could be found to have violated financial laws if one looks closely enough, and targets of investigation have been chosen mostly for their association with Trump.

No idea if you're aiming at me with the last bit, but I've stated several times that Trump needs to reign in his Twitter account, and be much more careful about what he says. I'm also not at all happy with his crude womanizing past, but he seems to be behaving these days.
      Not to mention just about every president has a goodly number of associates convicted of various crimes -- especially those heavily scrutinized.
      Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      convicted of 18 felonies and died in prison. Before his death he turned on Clinton who he previously staunchly defended[1]

Susan McDougal served 18 months for refusing to answer questions for a grand jury, on whether President Bill Clinton lied in his testimony during her Whitewater trial and immediately afterwards began a two year sentence for four counts of fraud and conspiracy relating to the Whitewater scandal but was later pardoned by Bill Clinton (a reward for keeping her mouth shut?).

Jim Guy Tucker was convicted of one count of conspiracy and one count of mail fraud and forced to resign as Governor. He was given a lenient sentence of four years' probation and house detention because of his poor health (a month after his conviction he received a liver transplant).

And then there was Hillary's law partner Webster Hubbell, who Bill appointed Associate Attorney General, who pled guilty to one count of wire fraud and one count of tax fraud and sentenced to 21 months. Later he entered a plea bargain agreement where he pled guilty to one charge of failing to disclose a potential conflict of interest in exchange for having all charges dropped against his his wife, his lawyer, his accountant and got probation.

What makes Hubbell especially interesting is what he said while in prison during a phone call to his wife (all calls from prisoners are recorded)

Source: Jail Tapes Portray Hubbell As Clinton Loyalist

Talking to his wife in 1996 while in a federal prison serving out his sentence for embezzling from his former clients and partners at Little Rock's Rose Law Firm, Hubbell repeatedly expressed concern for one of those former partners: Hillary Rodham Clinton.

"I will not raise those allegations that might open it up to Hillary," Hubbell told his wife Suzanna in one phone call, responding to a White House friend's fear that his dispute with the law firm could create problems for the first lady. "So I need to roll over one more time."

Source

© Copyright Original Source

"So I need to roll over one more time."

And just for giggles, here is a list of 40 Clinton associates who were convicted of various crimes

Source: James McDougal's Last Word Is A Tell-All Book

McDougal alleged that in the 1980s, he and a longtime businessman at McDougal's S&L, Henry Hamilton, "developed a system to pass money to Clinton," then governor of Arkansas. "I considered it just another way of helping to take care of Bill.

"A contractor agreed to pad my monthly construction bill by $2,000," McDougal wrote. "The contractor put the figure on his invoice as a cost for gravel or culvert work. After I paid the full amount ... the contractor reimbursed me the $2,000. I turned the money over to Henry to give to Clinton."

Hamilton is dead.

"Once, after I handed Henry his latest consignment of 20 hundred-dollar bills to relay to the governor's office, he turned the bills over and over in one hand, like a magician," McDougal said. "Henry grinned. `You know,' he said, `Caesar had his Brutus, Charles the First had Cromwell. Clinton could profit from these examples if he crosses us.'"

Source

And of course there were also those associated with all of the money funneled from China to the Clinton-Gore campaign through Buddhist monasteries and other means -- the one where FBI agents came forward at the time (unheard of back then) to publicly complain that Clinton's DoJ interfered with the investigation and folks like "Charlie" Trie, John Huang, James Riady, and Maria Hsia were convicted of various crimes.

This isn't to excuse having so many associates with shady behavior but rather to note that it isn't anything new, again especially if the president is being heavily investigated.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        No, to protect us from activist judges.
        Originally posted by Mountain Man
        If by "advance conservative values" you mean uphold the law and the Constitution and not attempt to legislate from the bench then absolutely.
        You say potayto, I say potahto. You guys can hold your noses and vote him all you want, but the key point was ideology over integrity. Trump's no better than Bill Clinton.
        "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
        Hear my cry, hear my shout,
        Save me, save me"

Comment

You say potayto, I say potahto. You guys can hold your noses and vote him all you want, but the key point was ideology over integrity. Trump's no better than Bill Clinton.
          Bill Clinton wasn't running. Hillary was.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Bill Clinton wasn't running. Hillary was.
            The point of comparison was slick Willy's predatory sexuality and shameful behavior that liberals overlooked or out-right defended.
            "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
            Hear my cry, hear my shout,
            Save me, save me"

Comment

The point of comparison was slick Willy's predatory sexuality and shameful behavior that liberals overlooked or out-right defended.
              There is no evidence that Trump is a sexual predator. Trump had extramarital affairs with consenting partners. Bill Clinton, on the other hand, committed rape. And please don't insult our intelligence by trying to create a moral equivalence between what Trump merely said on the infamous Access Hollywood recording, and what Clinton actually did.

Trump is no choir boy, but there is a BIG difference between him and Slick Willy

Comment

And you don't see me defending any of Trump's sexual escapades. Not a single time.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  There is no evidence that Trump is a sexual predator. Trump had extramarital affairs with consenting partners. Bill Clinton, on the other hand, committed rape. And please don't insult our intelligence by trying to create a moral equivalence between what Trump merely said on the infamous Access Hollywood recording, and what Clinton actually did.

Trump is no choir boy, but there is a BIG difference between him and Slick Willy
                  While I am no fan of Bill Clinton, you say here he 'commited' rape, which was never proven. In fact:

Source: wikipedia

noting that (in the case of Broaddrick and Willey) they previously testified under oath that Clinton never made unwanted advances. Several witnesses close to Willey and Jones have stated that the two women described their encounter with Clinton as consensual

Broaddrick is the one accusing him of rape.

So, if we combine those simple facts with the continued and unabated refrain that no accusations against Trump have been proven, it is complete hypocrisy to then change the standards when applying them to someone you dislike and who is a Democrat. Further, if you are to expect those same standards to apply to Kavanaugh, you would best limit yourself to what has been proven when attacking those whose politics you disagree with.

Jim
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Ah, the "guilt by association" fallacy.
                    Trump was going to clean the swamp remember guys, he was going to hire all the best people, remember. Trump is the king of the swamp and he filled it with a bunch of crooks which all of a sudden doesn't seem to bother you clowns any more. Now, stop complaining about the swamp that is our government since the swamp is a reflection of you.

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                      Trump was going to clean the swamp remember guys, he was going to hire all the best people, remember. Trump is the king of the swamp and he filled it with a bunch of crooks which all of a sudden doesn't seem to bother you clowns any more. Now, stop complaining about the swamp that is our government since the swamp is a reflection of you.
                      And now the ad hominem tu quoque fallacy.

Well played.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmuddle View Post
                        While I am no fan of Bill Clinton, you say here he 'commited' rape, which was never proven. In fact:

Source: wikipedia

noting that (in the case of Broaddrick and Willey) they previously testified under oath that Clinton never made unwanted advances. Several witnesses close to Willey and Jones have stated that the two women described their encounter with Clinton as consensual

Wikipedia? Seriously?

Also, don't think I didn't notice how you carefully cut out the part stating that this is what Clinton claims. The women themselves tell quite a different story.

Here's from a more reputable source:

Source: These are the sexual-assault allegations against Bill Clinton

(June 2018) Juanita Broaddrick has made the most serious allegations against Clinton, accusing him of raping her in 1978 while Clinton was Arkansas' attorney general.

Broaddrick, then a 35-year-old nursing-home administrator, met Clinton when he visited her nursing home on a campaign stop. After Clinton asked to meet with her on her next trip to Little Rock, the two set up a meeting in a hotel coffee shop.

Broaddrick, who first made the accusation publicly in 1999, told BuzzFeed News last year that when Clinton arrived at the hotel he asked to meet in Broaddrick's room instead and, after he arrived, violently raped her. Broaddrick said he bloodied her lip by biting it.

"There was no remorse," Broaddrick told BuzzFeed News. "He acted like it was an everyday occurrence. He was not the least bit apologetic. It was just unreal."

The Washington Post reported that two people close to Broaddrick said she described the rape to them at the time.

Kathleen Willey said Clinton kissed her, fondled her breasts, and forced her to touch his crotch during a meeting in the Oval Office in 1993, while Willey was a volunteer in the White House correspondence office.

Willey made her allegations public in 1998, and Clinton "emphatically" denied that the interaction was sexual, arguing that he hugged Willey and may have kissed her on the forehead.

Willey says she was "friends" with Clinton and confided in him during the meeting that she and her husband were having financial troubles. She asked him for a promotion from her volunteer position to a paying job and says that Clinton was sympathetic and asked to talk with her in a small room off of the Oval Office. Willey says Clinton cornered and assaulted her in that room.

"My mind was racing and I thought: 'Should I slap him? Or should I kick him? Or knee him?'" Willey recalled thinking during an October 2016 interview with the Fox News host Sean Hannity. "What do I do? Scream? Is the Secret Service gonna come in and descend upon me with guns?"

https://www.businessinsider.com/thes...linton-2017-11

The Washington Post story referenced above:

Source: Another Clinton Accuser Goes Public

(1999) With no witnesses and the passage of so much time, Broaddrick's story is difficult if not impossible to verify, although her husband and a friend told The Post in separate interviews that she related her account to them contemporaneously. Norma Rogers, an employee and friend who traveled with her to the conference, said that she returned to the hotel room that day to find Broaddrick badly shaken and her lip swollen. They quickly packed and left, stopping to get ice for Broaddrick's lip on the way back to Van Buren, both later said.

Rogers, who has since moved to a suburb of Tulsa, Okla., and uses a married name, and Broaddrick said they had not talked for several years until the episode was resurrected in the Jones lawsuit. "It's true unless she has been lying to me for 20 years and I don't think she did," Rogers told The Post last spring, before the two reestablished contact. "We were close enough at the time that if something else had happened I believe she would have told me."

[...]

Broaddrick's current husband, Dave Broaddrick, also backs up her story, saying she told him about the alleged encounter with Clinton days afterward. At the time, both Dave and Juanita Broaddrick were married to other people, but having an affair. They eventually married in 1981.

"I was very angry but there was nothing I could do," he said yesterday. "I was put in a very helpless situation. If it happened today, it wouldn't matter who it was, I would confront it. At the time I was not able to because of my personal situation and I have to live with that."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-sr...edoe022099.htm

So, yeah, these accusations have more teeth than some woman claiming that Trump did the impossible by raising the armrest in a first class cabin to grope her (armrests in first class cabins are immovable), or another woman claiming that Trump groped her at a concert that never happened. And curiously, these women only surfaced when Trump was about to win the election and then immediately disappeared afterwards, never to be heard from again. Clinton, on the other hand, has been dogged by credible accusations of sexual assault pretty much his entire political career.

Comment

Wikipedia? Seriously?

Also, don't think I didn't notice how you carefully cut out the part stating that this is what Clinton claims. The women themselves tell quite a different story.

Here's from a more reputable source:

Source: These are the sexual-assault allegations against Bill Clinton

(June 2018) Juanita Broaddrick has made the most serious allegations against Clinton, accusing him of raping her in 1978 while Clinton was Arkansas' attorney general.

Broaddrick, then a 35-year-old nursing-home administrator, met Clinton when he visited her nursing home on a campaign stop. After Clinton asked to meet with her on her next trip to Little Rock, the two set up a meeting in a hotel coffee shop.

Broaddrick, who first made the accusation publicly in 1999, told BuzzFeed News last year that when Clinton arrived at the hotel he asked to meet in Broaddrick's room instead and, after he arrived, violently raped her. Broaddrick said he bloodied her lip by biting it.

"There was no remorse," Broaddrick told BuzzFeed News. "He acted like it was an everyday occurrence. He was not the least bit apologetic. It was just unreal."

The Washington Post reported that two people close to Broaddrick said she described the rape to them at the time.

Kathleen Willey said Clinton kissed her, fondled her breasts, and forced her to touch his crotch during a meeting in the Oval Office in 1993, while Willey was a volunteer in the White House correspondence office.

Willey made her allegations public in 1998, and Clinton "emphatically" denied that the interaction was sexual, arguing that he hugged Willey and may have kissed her on the forehead.

Willey says she was "friends" with Clinton and confided in him during the meeting that she and her husband were having financial troubles. She asked him for a promotion from her volunteer position to a paying job and says that Clinton was sympathetic and asked to talk with her in a small room off of the Oval Office. Willey says Clinton cornered and assaulted her in that room.

"My mind was racing and I thought: 'Should I slap him? Or should I kick him? Or knee him?'" Willey recalled thinking during an October 2016 interview with the Fox News host Sean Hannity. "What do I do? Scream? Is the Secret Service gonna come in and descend upon me with guns?"

https://www.businessinsider.com/thes...linton-2017-11

The Washington Post story referenced above:

Source: Another Clinton Accuser Goes Public

(1999) With no witnesses and the passage of so much time, Broaddrick's story is difficult if not impossible to verify, although her husband and a friend told The Post in separate interviews that she related her account to them contemporaneously. Norma Rogers, an employee and friend who traveled with her to the conference, said that she returned to the hotel room that day to find Broaddrick badly shaken and her lip swollen. They quickly packed and left, stopping to get ice for Broaddrick's lip on the way back to Van Buren, both later said.

Rogers, who has since moved to a suburb of Tulsa, Okla., and uses a married name, and Broaddrick said they had not talked for several years until the episode was resurrected in the Jones lawsuit. "It's true unless she has been lying to me for 20 years and I don't think she did," Rogers told The Post last spring, before the two reestablished contact. "We were close enough at the time that if something else had happened I believe she would have told me."

[...]

Broaddrick's current husband, Dave Broaddrick, also backs up her story, saying she told him about the alleged encounter with Clinton days afterward. At the time, both Dave and Juanita Broaddrick were married to other people, but having an affair. They eventually married in 1981.

"I was very angry but there was nothing I could do," he said yesterday. "I was put in a very helpless situation. If it happened today, it wouldn't matter who it was, I would confront it. At the time I was not able to because of my personal situation and I have to live with that."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-sr...edoe022099.htm

So, yeah, these accusations have more teeth than some woman claiming that Trump did the impossible by raising the armrest in a first class cabin to grope her (armrests in first class cabins are immovable), or another woman claiming that Trump groped her at a concert that never happened. And curiously, these women only surfaced when Trump was about to win the election and then immediately disappeared afterwards, never to be heard from again. Clinton, on the other hand, has been dogged by credible accusations of sexual assault pretty much his entire political career.
                          You never disappoint MM*.

As I said, I am no fan of Clinton - he is as much a cad in this area as anyone.

However, while I realize you will defend Trump till his dying breath, and that your absolute hatred of all things non-Republican knows no real bounds, nevertheless, nothing in your response says anything contrary to or of any value in rebuttal against my comment. In summary, it is simply hypocritical to hold two different standards of proof for nefarious goings on. One very loose and hyper-skeptical of any accusers, which you apply to Republicans, and one very strict and naively trustful of the accusers, which you apply to Democrats.

Jim

*And I do always appreciate additional information on any topic, regardless the source - so thanks for that element of your post.
                          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 09-18-2018, 08:36 AM.
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

You never disappoint MM.

While I realize you will defend Trump till his dying breath, and that your absolute hatred of all things non-Republican knows no real bounds, nevertheless, nothing in your response says anything contrary to or of any value in rebuttal against my comment. In summary, it is simply hypocritical to hold two different standards of proof for nefarious goings on. One very loose and hyper-skeptical of any accusers, which you apply to Republicans, and one very strict and naively trustful of the accusers, which you apply to Democrats.

Jim
                            I desperately searched your post for any kind of substance worth engaging, but I came up empty. Sorry.

Comment

I desperately searched your post for any kind of substance worth engaging, but I came up empty. Sorry.
                              Well of course. Nothing I said supports a Republican or praises you directly. I would not expect you to find such a post of any substance given your fanatical support of the same.

But go back, you responded too soon. I added a comment line thanking you for the additional info .

Jim

Comment

Well of course. Nothing I said supports a Republican or praises you directly. I would not expect you to find such a post of any substance given your fanatical support of the same.
                                No, it's because I gave you a substantive response citing credible, relevant sources, and you just laughed it off.

Comment