Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Manafort fesses up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
    I'll give him the benefit of the doubt when I see some of the fruit of the spirit in his life. Being a Christian doesn't mean I have to accept the claims of everyone else who says they're a Christian, especially a politician who thinks he can manipulate my vote. If we are cynics and believe that we should suspect that most politicians are dishonest, then it is wise to be cynical about Trump's claims of finding Jesus.
    I, for one, am generally pretty cynical about any politician's claims to Christianity.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Could you please translate this?
      And you wonder why I have doubts about AI

That would be a combo of the spell checker and speach recognition functions on my phone doing their best and failing miserably.

Basically just an apology for calling Sparko MM.

Jim
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt when I see some of the fruit of the spirit in his life. Being a Christian doesn't mean I have to accept the claims of everyone else who says they're a Christian, especially a politician who thinks he can manipulate my vote. If we are cynics and believe that we should suspect that most politicians are dishonest, then it is wise to be cynical about Trump's claims of finding Jesus.
        I mean about claiming he is acting promiscuously. There has not been even a hint of any affairs or improprieties in many years or since he has been in office. All of that stuff seems to be several years in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I mean about claiming he is acting promiscuously. There has not been even a hint of any affairs or improprieties in many years or since he has been in office. All of that stuff seems to be several years in the past.
          I didn't claim he is acting promiscuously (though I don't know how we'd know, in the moment). I believed that Clinton's lack of sexual integrity disqualified him from the presidency and that Hillary's accommodation of it disqualified her from office. I believe that Trump's sexual immorality, were it in the past or not--and it is not so far in the past for me to be comfortable, disqualifies him from the office.
          "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
          Hear my cry, hear my shout,
          Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            DIf I do that? Sorry about that. I do see you two the same at all, though I was Hasting the both of you at the same time
            Yes you dif.

Comment

I didn't claim he is acting promiscuously (though I don't know how we'd know, in the moment). I believed that Clinton's lack of sexual integrity disqualified him from the presidency and that Hillary's accommodation of it disqualified her from office. I believe that Trump's sexual immorality, were it in the past or not--and it is not so far in the past for me to be comfortable, disqualifies him from the office.
              So even if he did become a Christian and repented (or is not a Christian and changed) you will not forgive him of his past sins? Will you only vote for a completely clean and sinless president?

Comment

So even if he did become a Christian and repented (or is not a Christian and changed) you will not forgive him of his past sins? Will you only vote for a completely clean and sinless president?
                Forgiveness and fitness for office are two different things. There is no such thing as a completely clean and sinless president, but faithlessness in the comparatively small things can presage faithlessness in the big things. If he was self-serving enough to violate his oath to his wife (uh, repeatedly), why should I expect him to be a paragon of altruism in respect to his country.

That speaks to the idea of a clean and sinless president. I don't expect 100% ethical purity from any person. It is our nature to sin. However, even in that, there are sins that are disqualifying to wider service unless considerable spiritual change has happened in a person's life--I'm talking a dramatic, Damascus road type change in a person's life. I don't see that in Trump's life. Could he be a Christian? Sure. Does that mean he's done dealing with all of his sexual issues? Not if my understanding of salvation is correct.
                "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                Save me, save me"

Comment

Forgiveness and fitness for office are two different things. There is no such thing as a completely clean and sinless president, but faithlessness in the comparatively small things can presage faithlessness in the big things. If he was self-serving enough to violate his oath to his wife (uh, repeatedly), why should I expect him to be a paragon of altruism in respect to his country.

That speaks to the idea of a clean and sinless president. I don't expect 100% ethical purity from any person. It is our nature to sin. However, even in that, there are sins that are disqualifying to wider service unless considerable spiritual change has happened in a person's life--I'm talking a dramatic, Damascus road type change in a person's life. I don't see that in Trump's life. Could he be a Christian? Sure. Does that mean he's done dealing with all of his sexual issues? Not if my understanding of salvation is correct.
                  King David wasn't exactly pure in that department either. Not that I am comparing Trump to King David. Just the fact that you claim sexual faithfulness is such an important factor. Pretty much all of the main characters in the bible were faithless in the sexual area.

Comment

King David wasn't exactly pure in that department either. Not that I am comparing Trump to King David. Just the fact that you claim sexual faithfulness is such an important factor.
                    Yep.
                    Pretty much all of the main characters in the bible were faithless in the sexual area.
                    Eh, you're way overstating things here.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      Yep.

Eh, you're way overstating things here.
                      probably. but if you include multiple wives...

Comment

King David wasn't exactly pure in that department either. Not that I am comparing Trump to King David.
                        AFAIK Trump never had anyone killed so he could get his wife.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Careful, when you say something really stupid like that* and the Dems hear about it, it just might go viral!

*the stupid idea that Trump would have somebody killed, not that you mentioned it.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            ...that we know of. Who knows what Mueller will find?
                            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                              ...that we know of. Who knows what Mueller will find?
                              It was probably a Russian he had killed!
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                No, you pointed out a self-serving Wikipedia quote from Bill Clinton claiming a contradiction but deceptively cut the quote to avoid revealing the fact that it was coming from Bill Clinton (what other reason is there for you to start the quote in the middle of a sentence instead of quoting the entire thing?). To counter this, I gave you sources quoting the women themselves along with other sources who were told about the incident at the time it happened, and you literally laughed it off and launched into a pathetic ad hominem fallacy.
                                My 'laughter' was aimed at your absurd and paranoid notion that there was some sort of attempt to 'hide' that Clinton was the one noting the facts contained in the quote.

As to the claim of ad hominem - can you point me to a post where you agreed Trump acted badly instead of defending him and/or ripping into whoever pointed out the absurdity or immoral nature of what Trump did?

Speaking of reading more carefully, you were responding to Sparko, not me.
                                Yep, that was an ironic mistake. I have to laugh at myself over that as well.

Jim
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment