Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Kids Raised With Religion Do Much Better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    Again, if you spend a life pursuing worldly happiness, getting a wife, kids, filling your time with activity at the job, and doing all those things, then you'd ironically be slothful. You might be having the time of your life, but I'm just saying that as a Christian you've been given a higher purpose than not doing drugs, or scoring well in school.

We agree that its the mark of a Christian to feel joy at conforming themselves to God's will.

Not in the worldview no. Though atheists are still humans, and so, still have telos, which they can know through natural reason. I'd use that to point out flaws in their worldview mind you, but they'd still be doing it.

I disagree on this. We are more similar than we are different. There's hardly any difference between you and carpedm9587, in terms of what makes you feel happy and fulfilled lives.
    Probably one of the wiser things I've seen posted on TWeb...(emphasis mine)
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I just like Leon - he's good people.
      Likewise...
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

You mean like Mr. Ackerman from High School? I think his first name was Vernon.
        ARRGG....

Comment

You mean like Mr. Ackerman from High School? I think his first name was Vernon.
          Looks like just because lao hasn't been around that someone is seeking to claim his crown as biggest jerk.

Oh wait. One grammar/spelling Nazi picking on another grammar/spelling Nazi.... Never mind.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Looks like just because lao hasn't been around that someone is seeking to claim his crown as biggest jerk.

Oh wait. One grammar/spelling Nazi picking on another grammar/spelling Nazi.... Never mind.
            He gets his fair share of shots at me! Sometimes I slip up on purpose just to let him think he got me!

It's TRUE!!!!

[fingers crossed behind my back]
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Us GSNs have to stick together. We're under appreciated...

Comment

He gets his fair share of shots at me! Sometimes I slip up on purpose just to let him think he got me!

It's TRUE!!!!

[fingers crossed behind my back]
                And you're flies unziped

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                  And you're flies unziped
                  You mean my fly's unzipped?

You did that just to allow me to ....

yeah, sure.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You mean my fly's unzipped?

You did that just to allow me to ....

yeah, sure.
                    Who...me?

Comment

I dont no witch of the too of ewe iz worserest

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I dont no witch of the too of ewe iz worserest
                        Obviously...eye yam!

Comment

I think we can safely say that all of TWeb is about you, CP...
                          I thought it was about bacon?

Comment

Obviously...eye yam!
                            Your both their in the winners circle.

Comment

As I understand it, teleos (is that the right word?) is a principle that springs from the concept of "design" or "purpose" or "intent." I think the term can be separated from creator/gods and refer to "suitability of form." In other words, if I understand the structure and form of a piece of wood, I will know that using it as a lever to lift a 2 ton block is not suitable to its form (i.e., it's too slender) and likely to result in a bent/broken piece of wood. By this sense, a human person (like any other "object") has a teleos. So, living in recognition of that is likely to result in more happiness.
                              What does that mean? Weren't you telling me that a hammer had no teleology?

But Seer is speaking about a "god-given purpose" for a god he cannot even show actually exists. So, ultimately, Seer is trying to impose his definition of our "purpose" on those around him, and label anyone who does not conform as "blind" or "deluded."

It's not really a position with which a rational discussion can be had.
                              On certain subjects Carp, like theology or ethics, we begin with presuppositions that can not be reconciled. And you are constantly trying to get me to accept your presuppositions or worldview and argue from your position, what you find reasonable, what you find compelling or acceptable.
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Your both their in the winners circle.

Comment