Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Kids Raised With Religion Do Much Better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids Raised With Religion Do Much Better

Imagine that...

Associations of Religious Upbringing With Subsequent Health and Well-Being From Adolescence to Young Adulthood: An Outcome-Wide Analysis

...Compared with no attendance, at least weekly attendance of religious services was associated with greater life satisfaction and positive affect, a number of character strengths, lower probabilities of marijuana use and early sexual initiation, and fewer lifetime sexual partners. Analyses of prayer or meditation yielded similar results. Although decisions about religion are not shaped principally by health, encouraging service attendance and private practices in adolescents who already hold religious beliefs may be meaningful avenues of development and support, possibly leading to better health and well-being.

https://academic.oup.com/aje/advance...kwy142/5094534
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Imagine that...
    The point being...?
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      The point being...?
      That religion is good for the soul because we are intuitively fulfilling what we were created for.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

That religion is good for the soul because we are intuitively fulfilling what we were created for.
        Or it's a habit deeply ingrained after centuries of indoctrination, and the process of separating from it will be disruptive. Change is pretty much always disruptive.

You cannot demonstrate your assertion to be true. You can merely assert it. Correlation is not causation...
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

This thread is about me, isn't it?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Or it's a habit deeply ingrained after centuries of indoctrination, and the process of separating from it will be disruptive. Change is pretty much always disruptive.

You cannot demonstrate your assertion to be true. You can merely assert it. Correlation is not causation...
            Just as you can not demonstrate your assertion to be true, but that is exactly what I would expect an atheist say. Try and be a bit more original Carp...

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Yes Rachel, it is...

Comment

Yes Rachel, it is...
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Imagine that...
                  Seems to satisfy the priests as well!

Comment

I think we can safely say that all of TWeb is about you, CP...

Comment

Just as you can not demonstrate your assertion to be true, but that is exactly what I would expect an atheist say. Try and be a bit more original Carp...
                      I made no assertion, Seer, other than to point out that there are other possibilities.

And sometimes the truth is not all that original...

Comment

I made no assertion, Seer, other than to point out that there are other possibilities.
                        The other possibilities are also assertions, ones that would be necessary from an atheistic worldview.

And sometimes the truth is not all that original...
                        Which truth is that?

Comment

I think we can safely say that all of TWeb is about you, CP...
                          Gorsh, you say the sweetest things!

Comment

The other possibilities are also assertions, ones that would be necessary from an atheistic worldview.
                            Yes - every statement is an assertion. My point was that I was not asserting "it is this way." I was pointing out that you have correlation without an explanation for causation. You asserted the cause is one thing, and I pointed out that other possibilities exist which you have not excluded. You've merely asserted "it has to be my way."

Which truth is that?
                            I was not speaking of a particular truth. I was making a general observation about "truth." The measure of "truth" is not "originality." Just like the measure of "truth" is not "influence."

Comment

Gorsh, you say the sweetest things!
                              Only to you, big-guy...

Comment