Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Celebrated Australian atheist, political leader converts to Christianity at 85

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    But what if I have the power to take what you have and prevent you from retaliating? You know like leftist do, or dictators.
    You always have that power seer, but so does everyone else. If someone murders you, then you obviously can't retaliate, right? And vice versa, it works both ways. What you don't seem to want to grasp is that morals are founded upon human interelationships, i.e. behaviors that serve the best interests of all involved, in the best interests of the group, because if everyone had the attitude that you suggest in the above, everyone would always be at risk the one from the other. Even dictators and tyrants are always at risk and are often overthrown and imprisoned or worse. The adage "do unto others........." should make it clear to you that morals are not arbitrary divine rules, but are human based behaviors that, based on human reason, have come to be understood to be in the best interests of everyone involved, to be in the best interests of the group. Again, if you lived alone, isolated on an island, morality, moral laws concerning behavior, wouldn't even make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      You always have that power seer, but so does everyone else. If someone murders you, then you obviously can't retaliate, right? And vice versa, it works both ways. What you don't seem to want to grasp is that morals are founded upon human interelationships, i.e. behaviors that serve the best interests of all involved, in the best interests of the group, because if everyone had the attitude that you suggest in the above, everyone would always be at risk the one from the other. Even dictators and tyrants are always at risk and are often overthrown and imprisoned or worse. The adage "do unto others........." should make it clear to you that morals are not arbitrary divine rules, but are human based behaviors that, based on human reason, have come to be understood to be in the best interests of everyone involved, to be in the best interests of the group. Again, if you lived alone, isolated on an island, morality, moral laws concerning behavior, wouldn't even make sense.
      Sparko did not want us to continue this in his thread, so I answered you here: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...226#post578226
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
        One old atheist becomes a Christian, and that's supposed to convince other atheists that God is good?
        I never said anything about convincing other atheists. But if it does, that is just that much more joy in heaven.

Sometimes an example is worth a thousand sermons.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I never said anything about convincing other atheists. But if it does, that is just that much more joy in heaven.

Sometimes an example is worth a thousand sermons.
          It shows there's hope. Hope is a good thing.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            When my dad became a Christian, all of his drinking buddies eventually became Christians, several cousins of his became Christian. I and my brother and his family all became Christian.

When everyone saw my dad, an old alcoholic who used to say if he stepped foot in a church it would probably cave in on him, changed and people saw that change, not to mention saving him from a stroke, it made a lot of people examine themselves and decide to turn to God. I think about 12 to 15 directly, no telling how many secondary converts.

Comment

I dedicate this song to your Dad. This is my friend, George Younce, now living in Glory.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

God is Good.

Excellent news.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Sure, because heaven couldn't care less about why people believe. Any reason is a good reason, no matter how irrational.

Comment

Hope in fictitious outcomes is not "a good thing", it's delusional.

Comment

Sure, because heaven couldn't care less about why people believe. Any reason is a good reason, no matter how irrational.
                      Just because you think a reason is irrational doesn't mean it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                        Hope in fictitious outcomes is not "a good thing", it's delusional.
                        What's the worst thing that happens if what I believe is not true, Tass? On the other hand, what's the worst thing that could happen to you if what I believe IS true?

Comment

What's the worst thing that happens if what I believe is not true, Tass? On the other hand, what's the worst thing that could happen to you if what I believe IS true?
                          Atheists 'round here don't care much for Pascal's famous wager.
                          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Atheists 'round here don't care much for Pascal's famous wager.
                            Understood, but I'm having a great time living the lie!

Comment

I dedicate this song to your Dad. This is my friend, George Younce, now living in Glory.

Good song!

Here is my Dad being baptized. The guy on the left is his brother Carl, who is a preacher and had been praying for my dad for many years. The guy in the back with the big grin is Dad's pastor, Bill who previously baptized my mom a few years earlier and me a few months later than my dad.

dadbaptism.jpg

Comment

Although you are mocking, it is a fairly true statement. God doesn't care what causes you to believe the gospel, just that you do. For some it is logic. For some, preaching. For others tragedy. The means are many, but the result is the same: rejoicing in heaven.

Comment