Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Celebrated Australian atheist, political leader converts to Christianity at 85

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    How does a conversion prove anything about god? If he converted to Islam would that prove Allah is good, and that it's never to late, even for you?
    No, it is just a cause of celebration!

I would celebrate even more if you became a Christian one day Jim!

Comment

What, someone converted? Hooray for Christianity!
      Yes! And Hooray for God, for he is a good God!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Yes! And Hooray for God, for he is a good God!
        But you don't even know how to define good. Is a thing good in its own right, or is it good because god says so? Another way to ask that question is, 'is god good because "he says so," or is he good because good has some intrinsic meaning of its own separate from god?

Comment

But you don't even know how to define good. Is a thing good in its own right, or is it good because god says so? Another way to ask that question is, 'is god good because "he says so," or is he good because good has some intrinsic meaning of its own separate from god?
          How do you define right Jim? Is a thing good in its own right or because we say so? And how can something be good in its own right? What does that even mean?
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

You are the one who couldn't define Good except as what you wanted it to be.

Comment

His conversion proves that there's hope even for the most stubborn atheists.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                one day it would be great to see Tassman and JimL in this thread telling about their conversion.

Comment

one day it would be great to see Tassman and JimL in this thread telling about their conversion.
                  How true.

It's just that I have a feeling that one would become a Mormon and the other a Jehovah's Witness and they'd still keep telling us how we got everything wrong

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    That it's never too late?
                    The conversion of one 85 year old Australian recovering from a stroke proves very little in the Australian context, where religion has very little place in the national discourse and the churches are virtually empty on Sundays. In Australia “Places of worship are closing for no other reason than that the people who live around them no longer attend. It’s where the closures are happening that is new—in predominantly Anglo-Saxon middle-class suburbs that were once the heartland of mainstream denominations”.

https://quadrant.org.au/magazine/201...burban-church/
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      How do you define right Jim? Is a thing good in its own right or because we say so? And how can something be good in its own right? What does that even mean?
                      I have told you, there is no such thing as an absolute objective good, or an absolute objective evil. Doing unto others as you would have done to you is about you, isn't it, and it's about others, isn't it? It has nothing to do with god or some objective existing law writ in stone. The underlying reason that makes a good, good, or a bad, bad, is the effect it has on people living together in community. If you lived completely isolated, by yourself on an island, what would you put on your immoral behavior list?

Comment

I have told you, there is no such thing as an absolute objective good, or an absolute objective evil. Doing unto others as you would have done to you is about you, isn't it, and it's about others, isn't it? It has nothing to do with god or some objective existing law writ in stone. The underlying reason that makes a good, good, or a bad, bad, is the effect it has on people living together in community. If you lived completely isolated, by yourself on an island, what would you put on your immoral behavior list?
                        Jim, I asked you how something can be good in its own right, apart from someone's say so.
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          Jim, I asked you how something can be good in its own right, apart from someone's say so.
                          And I answered you. Try reading it again, maybe.

Comment

And I answered you. Try reading it again, maybe.
                            Jim you are doing no more than asserting. You said: The underlying reason that makes a good, good, or a bad, bad, is the effect it has on people living together in community.

Why is that the case apart from your say so?

Comment

That God is good and it is never too late. Even for you!
                              Oh, OK. My mistake. Since this is an apologetics forum, I thought maybe it was supposed to prove something to people who didn't already believe. But, it's just you believers congratulating yourselves. Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                Stubbornness is relative.
                                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment