Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Deep State

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    No, he didn't remember it, he had to be told by Sen. Paul. He didn't remember it because he obviously knew nothing about the Dept. of Energy or what it did going in.

Bologna. He was simply trying to memorize what he thought that his conservative constituency, to whom he was speaking, wanted to hear and he forgot because he had no clear idea about the Dept. or what it was responsible for in the first place.
    I can't help but notice that you haven't provided any actual evidence for the claim Rick Perry didn't know what the Department of Energy did. As I noted, the original source for that claim didn't provide actual basis for it, as the quote given by McKenna was (1) stated to be taken out of context by McKenna, and (2) didn't back up the claim Rick Perry didn't know what the Department of Energy did anyway. So therefore the reporter's apparent source is knowing what Rick Perry was thinking, meaning they're a magical mind reader. Unless you're going to argue that ESP exists--and, for that matter, that after more than a decade of being governor of Texas, Rick Perry was somehow unaware that the Department of Energy managed nuclear weapons when their primary facility for doing so is in Texas--you don't really have anything to back you up on this.

2. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraceth View Post
    I can't help but notice that you haven't provided any actual evidence for the claim Rick Perry didn't know what the Department of Energy did. As I noted, the original source for that claim didn't provide actual basis for it, as the quote given by McKenna was (1) stated to be taken out of context by McKenna, and (2) didn't back up the claim Rick Perry didn't know what the Department of Energy did anyway. So therefore the reporter's apparent source is knowing what Rick Perry was thinking, meaning they're a magical mind reader. Unless you're going to argue that ESP exists--and, for that matter, that after more than a decade of being governor of Texas, Rick Perry was somehow unaware that the Department of Energy managed nuclear weapons when their primary facility for doing so is in Texas--you don't really have anything to back you up on this.
    Six years ago, Rick Perry could not remember the name of the federal agency he wanted to scrap. it made headlines. It turns out that Rick Perry wanted to abolish an agency he didn't even understand. Now he gets to run it. Brilliant!

"When President-elect Donald J. Trump offered Rick Perry the job of energy secretary five weeks ago, Mr. Perry gladly accepted, believing he was taking on a role as a global ambassador for the American oil and gas industry that he had long championed in his home state.

In the days after, Mr. Perry, the former Texas governor, discovered that he would be no such thing —"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/u...ald-trump.html

Trump can sure pick 'em.
    Last edited by Tassman; Today at 05:50 AM.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

4. Amen JimL amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraceth View Post
    Perry's apology after being named to the post.

My past statement about abolishing the DOE do not reflect my current thinking. In fact "after being briefed" on so many of the vital functions of the Dept. of Energy, I regret recommending its elimination.

In other words, he was calling for the elimination of a Dept for which he, self admittedly, had no clue.
    Last edited by JimL; Today at 03:52 PM.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Perry's apology after being named to the post.

My past statement about abolishing the DOE do not reflect my current thinking. In fact "after being briefed" on so many of the vital functions of the Dept. of Energy, I regret recommending its elimination.

In other words, he was calling for the elimination of a Dept for which he, self admittedly, had no clue.
    There's a positive side to this: he's proven himself to be capable of learning and changing his mind based on further evidence. Perhaps he's not the irredeemably stupid ideologue you've made him out to be.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist