Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Deep State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    No, he didn't remember it, he had to be told by Sen. Paul. He didn't remember it because he obviously knew nothing about the Dept. of Energy or what it did going in.

Bologna. He was simply trying to memorize what he thought that his conservative constituency, to whom he was speaking, wanted to hear and he forgot because he had no clear idea about the Dept. or what it was responsible for in the first place.
    I can't help but notice that you haven't provided any actual evidence for the claim Rick Perry didn't know what the Department of Energy did. As I noted, the original source for that claim didn't provide actual basis for it, as the quote given by McKenna was (1) stated to be taken out of context by McKenna, and (2) didn't back up the claim Rick Perry didn't know what the Department of Energy did anyway. So therefore the reporter's apparent source is knowing what Rick Perry was thinking, meaning they're a magical mind reader. Unless you're going to argue that ESP exists--and, for that matter, that after more than a decade of being governor of Texas, Rick Perry was somehow unaware that the Department of Energy managed nuclear weapons when their primary facility for doing so is in Texas--you don't really have anything to back you up on this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
      I can't help but notice that you haven't provided any actual evidence for the claim Rick Perry didn't know what the Department of Energy did. As I noted, the original source for that claim didn't provide actual basis for it, as the quote given by McKenna was (1) stated to be taken out of context by McKenna, and (2) didn't back up the claim Rick Perry didn't know what the Department of Energy did anyway. So therefore the reporter's apparent source is knowing what Rick Perry was thinking, meaning they're a magical mind reader. Unless you're going to argue that ESP exists--and, for that matter, that after more than a decade of being governor of Texas, Rick Perry was somehow unaware that the Department of Energy managed nuclear weapons when their primary facility for doing so is in Texas--you don't really have anything to back you up on this.
      Six years ago, Rick Perry could not remember the name of the federal agency he wanted to scrap. it made headlines. It turns out that Rick Perry wanted to abolish an agency he didn't even understand. Now he gets to run it. Brilliant!

"When President-elect Donald J. Trump offered Rick Perry the job of energy secretary five weeks ago, Mr. Perry gladly accepted, believing he was taking on a role as a global ambassador for the American oil and gas industry that he had long championed in his home state.

In the days after, Mr. Perry, the former Texas governor, discovered that he would be no such thing —"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/u...ald-trump.html

Trump can sure pick 'em.
      Last edited by Tassman; 10-19-2018, 12:50 AM.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Perry's apology after being named to the post.

My past statement about abolishing the DOE do not reflect my current thinking. In fact "after being briefed" on so many of the vital functions of the Dept. of Energy, I regret recommending its elimination.

In other words, he was calling for the elimination of a Dept for which he, self admittedly, had no clue.
        Last edited by JimL; 10-19-2018, 10:52 AM.

Comment

My past statement about abolishing the DOE do not reflect my current thinking. In fact "after being briefed" on so many of the vital functions of the Dept. of Energy, I regret recommending its elimination.

In other words, he was calling for the elimination of a Dept for which he, self admittedly, had no clue.
          There's a positive side to this: he's proven himself to be capable of learning and changing his mind based on further evidence. Perhaps he's not the irredeemably stupid ideologue you've made him out to be.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            There's a positive side to this: he's proven himself to be capable of learning and changing his mind based on further evidence. Perhaps he's not the irredeemably stupid ideologue you've made him out to be.
            unlike a certain group of posters here.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              It's not a matter of changing his mind, dopey. The point was that he wanted to do away with the Dept. of Energy without having a clue about what the Dept. did in the first place. He's also taking the place of a nuclear phycisist when his own degree is in Animal Science. So now he may understand what the Dept. of energy is responsible for, but he still has no clue, no experience in the field. I'll bet he's loyal to Trump though, and we all know that's all that counts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                Six years ago, Rick Perry could not remember the name of the federal agency he wanted to scrap. it made headlines.
                It making headlines was a joke. Pretty much every blanks on things now and then, they're just lucky they don't do it when on TV with millions of people watching. Like I said, it was something to laugh about a little (in the video I'm going to show later, he makes a joke about it), but nothing to linger on.

It turns out that Rick Perry wanted to abolish an agency he didn't even understand. Now he gets to run it. Brilliant!

"When President-elect Donald J. Trump offered Rick Perry the job of energy secretary five weeks ago, Mr. Perry gladly accepted, believing he was taking on a role as a global ambassador for the American oil and gas industry that he had long championed in his home state.

In the days after, Mr. Perry, the former Texas governor, discovered that he would be no such thing —"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/u...ald-trump.html

Trump can sure pick 'em.
                I'm not sure how appealing to a source after I repeatedly explained why said source wasn't reliable is supposed to mean anything.

Originally posted by JimL View Post

I'm not here to try to defend whether his idea was a good one or not or say he didn't flip-flop on his overall opinion of the Department of Energy. What I'm doing is pointing out that the claim he somehow didn't know what the Department of Energy did is clearly false. The quote you pulled up at most indicates that he might not have been aware of some of the very specific aspects (e.g. I can know know the Department of Energy manages nuclear weapons without knowing all the minutiae of how they do it), but not that he was under the impression it only involved energy (which was the claim made). Heck, that claim is pretty clearly debunked by this video:

(it's 29 minutes in)

Specifically, this part of the discussion:

Greg Dalton: "You served in the Air Force and probably know a big part of the Department of Energy is national security."
                Rick Perry: "Yep."

This occurred several years before his nomination. So clearly he wasn't under the impression the Department of Energy was solely about energy before he was offered the position.
                Last edited by Terraceth; 10-19-2018, 10:53 PM.

Comment

It's not a matter of changing his mind, dopey. The point was that he wanted to do away with the Dept. of Energy without having a clue about what the Dept. did in the first place. He's also taking the place of a nuclear phycisist when his own degree is in Animal Science. So now he may understand what the Dept. of energy is responsible for, but he still has no clue, no experience in the field. I'll bet he's loyal to Trump though, and we all know that's all that counts.
                  I'm well aware of what you're trying to say, Jim. Thanks.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I'm not sure how appealing to a source after I repeatedly explained why said source wasn't reliable is supposed to mean anything.
                    Why, because Perry answered, Yep? Please. What did you expect him to say, "no, I really am an idiot, I have no idea what the Dept. of Energy is responsible for."
                    I'm not here to try to defend whether his idea was a good one or not or say he didn't flip-flop on his overall opinion of the Department of Energy. What I'm doing is pointing out that the claim he somehow didn't know what the Department of Energy did is clearly false. The quote you pulled up at most indicates that he might not have been aware of some of the very specific aspects (e.g. I can know know the Department of Energy manages nuclear weapons without knowing all the minutiae of how they do it), but not that he was under the impression it only involved energy (which was the claim made). Heck, that claim is pretty clearly debunked by this video:

(it's 29 minutes in)

Specifically, this part of the discussion:

Greg Dalton: "You served in the Air Force and probably know a big part of the Department of Energy is national security."
                    Rick Perry: "Yep."
                    Yep, " I'm convinced!
                    This occurred several years before his nomination. So clearly he wasn't under the impression the Department of Energy was solely about energy before he was offered the position.
                    If Perry knew what the Dept. of Energy was responsible for and still called for getting rid of it, then you are making him out to be an even bigger idiot than if he just didn't know. Yep!
                    Last edited by JimL; 10-20-2018, 07:57 AM.

Comment