Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Militant Atheism

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    As I said, I suspect the problem is "militant." Many atheists I encounter are more anti-theists than a-theists. There is a significant difference.
    I think that the whole New Atheist movement is largely anti-theist in their atheism. That's what makes it militant.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

2. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    I think that the whole New Atheist movement is largely anti-theist in their atheism. That's what makes it militant.
    Any movement that attempts to correct perceived wrongs will inevitably be militant. E.g. The Civil Rights Movement to gain equal rights and freedom from discrimination for all. And the New Atheists (with organisations such as Freedom from Religion) attempt to get rid of the notion that Christianity has certain privileges in society that are unavailable to all.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Any movement that attempts to correct perceived wrongs will inevitably be militant. E.g. The Civil Rights Movement to gain equal rights and freedom from discrimination for all. And the New Atheists (with organisations such as Freedom from Religion) attempt to get rid of the notion that Christianity has certain privileges in society that are unavailable to all.
    It is very hard for a group to recognize it's own privileges. And when the under-privileged stand up and say, "let's have some balance here," the usual response is an angry "you're persecuting us." Losing privileges others don't have feels like a diminishment - and nobody likes to feel diminished. It's the human condition...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

5. Amen Starlight amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    That isn't what militant atheists want. They want to suppress religion. Period. Employing violence if need be (see the League of Militant Atheism). They are not all about equal treatment or equal rights.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

7. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It is very hard for a group to recognize it's own privileges. And when the under-privileged stand up and say, "let's have some balance here," the usual response is an angry "you're persecuting us." Losing privileges others don't have feels like a diminishment - and nobody likes to feel diminished. It's the human condition...
    No.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

9. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    No.
    Yeah, no.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

11. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I prefer the term "clueless Atheist" to "militant Atheist" -- calling these internet twerps "militant" is giving them too much credit. They are just hateful anti-theists who are completely clueless and just beat the same dead horse while patting themselves on the back at how they put the Christians in their place.

You know, like JimL and Tassman.

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Garbage.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    No.
    Yes...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, no.
    Yeah, yes...