Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Militant Atheism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Even in 2018, the Alabama constitution still calls for the segregation of black and white students, and every attempt to amend the constitution to eliminate this component has failed.
    Originally posted by Roy View Post
    Really? Wow.
    Surprised me as well...
    It's actually a little more complicated than you present it, Carpe.

NPR, that bastion of right wing extremism, reports that there were attempts to amend it in 2012 (Alabama Segregation Reference Ban Amendment), but it was opposed by the state's teachers union and black political caucus, called the Alabama Democratic Conference over the way it might mess up school funding.

I do agree, however, with a sentiment expressed in that article with regard to race - "To put it mildly, Alabama's constitution is an absurd document.... "
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      It's actually a little more complicated than you present it, Carpe.

NPR, that bastion of right wing extremism, reports that there were attempts to amend it in 2012 (Alabama Segregation Reference Ban Amendment), but it was opposed by the state's teachers union and black political caucus, called the Alabama Democratic Conference over the way it might mess up school funding.

I do agree, however, with a sentiment expressed in that article with regard to race - "To put it mildly, Alabama's constitution is an absurd document.... "
      I didn't present it in any particular way, CP. I merely noted the reality: the constitution calls for segregation and attempts to repeal it have failed. You fleshed out the latest exchange, but there were previous ones (2004, etc.). The situation is, frankly, pretty ugly.

And the larger issue remains. This mentality that keeps being expressed that systemic and institutional racism in this country does not exist flies in the face of reality. That there is generally more privilege for those who are white than there are for those who are black is simply a fact. That much of the black and white community continues to feel the effects of centuries of slavery and decades of Jim Crow and racial disparity is simply a fact. That people would turn a blind eye to it, or deny it exists, is not all that different from those who deny the holocaust and/or its impact on the Jewish community.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I didn't present it in any particular way, CP. I merely noted the reality: the constitution calls for segregation and attempts to repeal it have failed. You fleshed out the latest exchange, but there were previous ones (2004, etc.). The situation is, frankly, pretty ugly.
        Which affirms that it's more complicated than "it's still racist".

And the larger issue remains. This mentality that keeps being expressed that systemic and institutional racism in this country does not exist flies in the face of reality. That there is generally more privilege for those who are white than there are for those who are black is simply a fact. That much of the black and white community continues to feel the effects of centuries of slavery and decades of Jim Crow and racial disparity is simply a fact. That people would turn a blind eye to it, or deny it exists, is not all that different from those who deny the holocaust and/or its impact on the Jewish community.
        And I said.... I do agree, however, with a sentiment expressed in that article with regard to race - "To put it mildly, Alabama's constitution is an absurd document.... "
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I haven't looked into that particular Alabama law, but I know that a number of states have a variety of absurd and/or stupid laws that are still, technically, on the books but that aren't enforced in any way.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            I haven't looked into that particular Alabama law, but I know that a number of states have a variety of absurd and/or stupid laws that are still, technically, on the books but that aren't enforced in any way.
            I think there's a distinction between the classic "spitting on the sidewalk" type laws, and the various constitutions.

Comment

I think there's a distinction between the classic "spitting on the sidewalk" type laws, and the various constitutions.
              I missed the mention of the Alabama constitution...my bad.

Comment

Comment

BAD Zym... BAD!
                  The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

BAD Zym... BAD!
                    I am ashamed.

Comment

I am ashamed.
                      Shame is over-rated.

Go for smug condescension.

It seems to work for everyone else...

Comment

Shame is over-rated.

Go for smug condescension.

It seems to work for me
                        Fixed that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                          Fixed that for you.

Yeah...I'd run too if I were you. I personally don't find it amusing when people edit my posts to say what THEY want it to say. I find the practice childish.

And, for the record, the concept of "everyone else" already includes me...

Comment

Yeah...I'd run too if I were you. I personally don't find it amusing when people edit my posts to say what THEY want it to say. I find the practice childish.
                            And I think it's childish to gripe about it.

ETA: No, not childish... INFANTISH!!!!

Comment

And I think it's childish to gripe about it.

ETA: No, not childish... INFANTISH!!!!
                              Your opinion is duly noted.

Comment

Your opinion is duly noted.
                                Why, thank you... thankyouverymuch.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X