Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Update on Ketil following heart surgery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on Ketil following heart surgery.

I'm sorry I completely forgot to post an update here.

Almost a year ago I posted a message about my nephew Ketil who had defect in his heart valve which required surgery. We knew about the heart valve, and the constricted blood vessels in the heart before he was born, so we were all very worried.

The moment he was born he turned blue, and only a few minutes later my little sister - who is his mother - had to wait outside the ward, while the surgeons did an emergency balloon expansion procedure on his heart, by threading a needly up through the veins of his chest. The procedure worked, but for a couple of months it was touch and go. He was too weak to cry, but still did soundlessly on occassion.

Examinations showed a huge number of defects in his heart. The full description of their extent filled at least two sheets of papers. Because of the extent of them, and in particular because of the possibility of other anomalies that would only show up during surgery, they delayed an operation to fix his heart valves until they had gathered a dream team of the best surgeons available for this.

Half a year ago, they operated on him for sixteen hours. The original plan was to replace his valve with an artificial one - which would have required him to take immunosupressants for the rest of his life - but we were very happy to see that the head surgeon was smiling when he came out. They were able to avoid using the artificial heart valve.

We'll always be indepted to that hospital (figuratively - universal healthcare).

And I want to thank all of you for your prayers. God was merciful.

Ketil rapidly improved, grew up a happy and healthy (lagging a bit behind in his growth at first because of the low blood supply, but he's getting there). Mentally he's alert and no one has found anything missing on him. If we do he's surrounded by a loving family and we'll take it from there. He's growing up now very well, not quite a baby anymore, and is slowly turning into a little boy.

I dug out this image, only a few weeks after surgery, and home for the first time. One happy baby.

Fantastic!
    3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

great news!

Comment

Glory to God! If it weren't for modern medicine, I woudn't be here, either. My problem was pyloric stenosis, so I'd have lived a little bit longer on my own, but not much.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Glory to God! If it weren't for modern medicine, I woudn't be here, either. My problem was pyloric stenosis, so I'd have lived a little bit longer on my own, but not much.
          I probably never woulda made it out of the hospital if it weren't for antibiotics. Apparently I had an incredibly bad staph infection that just about covered my entire body.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

More baby pictures.

Comment

Cute kid

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment