Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Average FICO credit score hits all-time high

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average FICO credit score hits all-time high

Average FICO credit score hits all-time high

When it comes to credit, Americans are scoring well.

For the first time, the average national credit score has reached 704, according to FICO, developer of one of the most commonly used scores by lenders. FICO scores range from 300 to 850.

Your credit score plays a big role in daily life. It can determine the interest rate a consumer is going to pay for credit cards, car loans and mortgages — or whether they will get a loan at all.

Average credit scores most recently bottomed at 686 during the housing crisis about a decade ago, when there was a sharp increase in foreclosures. They have since steadily ticked higher, according to Ethan Dornhelm, vice president for scores and analytics at FICO. Now scores are at an all-time high.

A score of 704 is considered "solidly good," Dornhelm said. "Consumers will be qualifying for most credit that they are hoping to get." A good score generally is above 700, and those over 760 are considered excellent.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

mine is 821, it said it dropped because I have too many open accounts with balances on them, which I have no idea what they are talking about. The only loan I have is my home loan. I pay off my credit cards every month so there is no balance there. I looked at the accounts on my credit report and there is nothing out of the ordinary there. no hidden loans I don't know about.

ETA - I checked another FICO score (both of my credit cards give free FICO scores) and it says 809.

Both say they are from Transunion.
    Last edited by Sparko; 09-24-2018, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      mine is 821, it said it dropped because I have too many open accounts with balances on them, which I have no idea what they are talking about. The only loan I have is my home loan. I pay off my credit cards every month so there is no balance there. I looked at the accounts on my credit report and there is nothing out of the ordinary there. no hidden loans I don't know about.

ETA - I checked another FICO score (both of my credit cards give free FICO scores) and it says 809.

Both say they are from Transunion.
      You know you're allowed to get a complete credit report once a year for FREE, yes? Not just your score, but all the detail.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        You know you're allowed to get a complete credit report once a year for FREE, yes? Not just your score, but all the detail.
        yeah. that is why I said I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary that would fit the idea that I have too many accounts with balances on them.

Comment