Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ted Cruz forced from restaurant amid Kavanaugh drama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    When democrats win, they win in spite of the EC, not because of it, winning the majority vote. Republicans win because of the EC as is proven in 3 of the ladst 5 elections wherein they lost the majority vote, by 3 million in 2016, and still won the election.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

When democrats win, they win in spite of the EC, not because of it, winning the majority vote. Republicans win because of the EC as is proven in 3 of the ladst 5 elections wherein they lost the majority vote, by 3 million in 2016, and still won the election.
      Another way to look at it is that the Republicans are simply better at campaigning where it will do the most good lately. It's not as if this was something dreamed up and implemented by Republicans a couple decades ago.
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Another way to look at it is that the Republicans are simply better at campaigning where it will do the most good lately. It's not as if this was something dreamed up and implemented by Republicans a couple decades ago.
        Republicans: We need to get more runners across home plate to win the game.
        Democrats: But we had far more hits!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Republicans: We need to get more runners across home plate to win the game.
          Democrats: But we had far more hits!
          Such a poor analogy, CP. Republicans didn't get more runners across home plate, democrats did. That's the whole point.

Comment

Such a poor analogy, CP. Republicans didn't get more runners across home plate, democrats did. That's the whole point.
            No, Jim - you're still not getting it. The "plate" is the Electoral College. One team can have far more runners hit the ball, but the only thing that matters is how many runs are actually scored.

You can have way more people casting a vote for one party, but the only thing that matters is how many Electoral College votes are scored.

It is a very fitting analogy to anybody with half a brain.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No, Jim - you're still not getting it. The "plate" is the Electoral College. One team can have far more runners hit the ball, but the only thing that matters is how many runs are actually scored.

You can have way more people casting a vote for one party, but the only thing that matters is how many Electoral College votes are scored.

It is a very fitting analogy to anybody with half a brain.
              Gee, too bad you can't even understand that the only thing that matters in your analogy is the exact reason that it is unjust.

Comment

Gee, too bad you can't even understand that the only thing that matters in your analogy is the exact reason that it is unjust.
                It's no more unjust than the tyranny of the majority which it is intended to mitigate.
                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  It's no more unjust than the tyranny of the majority which it is intended to mitigate.
                  You mistake tyranny with democracy.

Comment

OK, you can scream and kick and pitch a little sissy hissy - until the system changes, it is what it is, and both sides campaign to win the majority of the electoral college votes. That is how presidential elections are won.

Whine on!

Comment

You mistake tyranny with democracy.
                      Nope. I understand, as did the Federalists and Democrat-Republicans who drew up the Constitution, that democracy is the tyranny of the majority, aka mob rule. It is, of course, not the only possible form of tyranny.
                      sigpic

Comment

I didn't suggest eliminating the Senate, but a state like Wyoming with a population of 590 thousand shouldn't have the same representation in the powerful Senate as a state like Texas with a population of 29 million. It's completely ridiculous and it is why the minority of the country gets majority representation when it comes to things like confirming SC justices.
                        That is what the house of Representatives is for. It allows equal representation of the people by population. The Senate allows equal representation to the states regardless of population. That is the whole reason we have two houses in congress. It was a compromise. Allowing the states to have an equal say without some states bullying others, and having a system where the population can have a say without being beat up by the states.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          That is what the house of Representatives is for. It allows equal representation of the people by population. The Senate allows equal representation to the states regardless of population. That is the whole reason we have two houses in congress. It was a compromise. Allowing the states to have an equal say without some states bullying others, and having a system where the population can have a say without being beat up by the states.
                          But how does this help LIBERALS?

Comment

But how does this help LIBERALS?
                            I thought this was the United STATES of America, not the United Liberals of America? This country is a union of states. like a bunch of separate countries all banding together. Each state has its own government and citizens and wants to have equal representation in the union. They don't want one state who has more people to boss them around.

Heck at one point wasn't it supposed to be the Senate who elected the President? And the Electoral College was set up as a way to allow the people to vote within each state for who the state would choose as the president.

Comment

• It's ok, the liberals are going to equalize everything by having a bunch of Californians move to Montana.
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                I thought this was the United STATES of America, not the United Liberals of America? This country is a union of states. like a bunch of separate countries all banding together. Each state has its own government and citizens and wants to have equal representation in the union. They don't want one state who has more people to boss them around.

Heck at one point wasn't it supposed to be the Senate who elected the President? And the Electoral College was set up as a way to allow the people to vote within each state for who the state would choose as the president.
                                But, but, but.....

Comment