Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: New Bird/Dinosaur intermediate species found

  1. #1
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,210
    Amen (Given)
    1324
    Amen (Received)
    906

    New Bird/Dinosaur intermediate species found

    New species found that is an intermediate between bird-like dinosaurs and birds that is more like a bird with attributes of a dinosaur.

    [cite]=https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2018/09/news-new-species-fossil-bird-dinosaurs-flight-evolution-paleontology/]

    'Messy' New Species of Dinosaur-Era Bird Discovered
    The odd animal, named Jinguofortis perplexus, displays an unusual mosaic of bird and dinosaur features.

    BY JOHN PICKRELL
    PUBLISHED SEPTEMBER 24, 2018

    Paleontologists in China have discovered a new species of fossil bird that they say reveals a pivotal point in the evolution of flight, when birds had lost the long bony tail seen in dinosaurs such as Tyrannosaurus and the early bird Archaeopteryx, but before they had developed the fan of feathers on a shortened tail seen in flying birds today.

    The 127-million-year-old species, which they have named Jinguofortis perplexus, retains other features of its dinosaur ancestors, such as claws on the fingers of its wings, a jaw with tiny teeth rather than a beak, and a fused shoulder girdle. That last trait is seemingly poorly adapted to flight, hence the name “perplexus.” (Read more about the evolutionary link between dinosaurs and modern birds.) [/cite]
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  2. #2
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,210
    Amen (Given)
    1324
    Amen (Received)
    906
    Another important Intermediary species found in the Archaeopteryx avian-dinosaur group of species demonstrating the progressive bird like characteristics of the species over time.

    Source: http://www.sci-news.com/paleontology/archaeopteryx-albersdoerferi-06544.html



    Paleontologists Discover New Species of Archaeopteryx

    Archaeopteryx was first described as the ‘missing link’ between reptiles and birds in 1861 — and is now regarded as the link between dinosaurs and birds. Only 12 specimens have ever been found and all are from the late Jurassic of Bavaria, Germany, dating back approximately 150 million years. Now, Dr. Martin Kundrát from the University of Pavol Jozef Šafárik and co-authors have identified a new species of Archaeopteryx — named A. albersdoerferi — that is closer to modern birds in evolutionary terms.

    Using synchrotron microtomography, Dr. Kundrát and colleagues examined one of 12 Archaeopteryx specimens, known as ‘specimen number eight.’

    “This Archaeopteryx individual is physically much closer to a modern bird than it is to a reptile,” the paleontologists said.

    “Therefore, it is evolutionary distinctive and different enough to be described as a new species — Archaeopteryx albersdoerferi.”

    Some of the differing skeletal characteristics of Archaeopteryx albersdoerferi include the fusion of cranial bones, different pectoral girdle (chest) and wing elements, and a reinforced configuration of carpals and metacarpals (hand) bones.

    These characteristics are seen more in modern flying birds and are not found in the older Archaeopteryx lithographica species, which more resembles reptiles and dinosaurs.

    Specimen number eight is the youngest of all the 12 known specimens by approximately half a million years. This age difference in comparison to the other specimens is a key factor in describing it as a new species.

    “By digitally dissecting the fossil we found that this specimen differed from all of the others,” said co-author Dr. John Nudds, from the School of Earth and Environmental Sciences at the University of Manchester.

    “It possessed skeletal adaptations which would have resulted in much more efficient flight.”

    “In a nutshell we have discovered what Archaeopteryx lithographica evolved into — i.e. a more advanced bird, better adapted to flying — and we have described this as a new species of Archaeopteryx.”

    “This is the first time that numerous bones and teeth of Archaeopteryx were viewed from all aspects including exposure of their inner structure,” Dr. Kundrát said.

    “The use of synchrotron microtomography was the only way to study the specimen as it is heavily compressed with many fragmented bones partly or completely hidden in limestone.”

    “Whenever a missing link is discovered, this merely creates two further missing links — what came before, and what came after,” Dr. Nudds said.

    “What came before was discovered in 1996 with the feathered dinosaurs in China. Our new species is what came after. It confirms Archaeopteryx as the first bird, and not just one of a number of feathered theropod dinosaurs, which some authors have suggested recently. You could say that it puts Archaeopteryx back on its perch as the first bird.”

    The discovery is reported in the Historical Biology, an international journal of paleobiology.

    © Copyright Original Source

    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  3. #3
    tWebber lee_merrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    598
    Amen (Given)
    216
    Amen (Received)
    119
    Well, that would be evidence for macro-evolution. The evidence against macro-evolution in the fossil record is that we see long periods of stasis, followed by the sudden appearance of new forms.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

  4. #4
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,210
    Amen (Given)
    1324
    Amen (Received)
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Well, that would be evidence for macro-evolution. The evidence against macro-evolution in the fossil record is that we see long periods of stasis, followed by the sudden appearance of new forms.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    Species that are well adapted to environments will remain as along as that environment persists and long periods of stasis in common in the fossil record of life. It is not a problem for evolution. Some species have persisted for millions and if not billions of years, because they well adapted to a given environment, though some may evolve as new environmental niches are available. The evolution of species is a response to environment changes, competition for survival, and new environmental opportunities.


    As far as birds in Cretaceous there were many species of small dinosaurs with feathers, avian dinosaurs, and birds of various lineages which after the great extinction event only some branches of birds survived and they show a rapid diverse evolution after the extinction event. I believe there are more diversity and intermediates and there are more found all the time.

    Source: https://phys.org/news/2018-11-rare-fossil-bird-deepens-mystery.html



    During the late Cretaceous period, more than 65 million years ago, birds belonging to hundreds of different species flitted around the dinosaurs and through the forests as abundantly as they flit about our woods and fields today.

    But after the cataclysm that wiped out most of the dinosaurs, only one group of birds remained: the ancestors of the birds we see today. Why did only one family survive the mass extinction?

    A newly described fossil from one of those extinct bird groups, cousins of today's birds, deepens that mystery.

    The 75-million-year-old fossil, from a bird about the size of a turkey vulture, is the most complete skeleton discovered in North America of what are called enantiornithines (pronounced en-an-tea-or'-neth-eens), or opposite birds. Discovered in the Grand Staircase-Escalante area of Utah in 1992 by University of California, Berkeley, paleontologist Howard Hutchison, the fossil lay relatively untouched in University of California Museum of Paleontology at Berkeley until doctoral student Jessie Atterholt learned about it in 2009 and asked to study it.

    Atterholt and Hutchison collaborated with Jingmai O'Conner, the leading expert on enantiornithines, to perform a detailed analysis of the fossil. Based on their study, enantiornithines in the late Cretaceous were the aerodynamic equals of the ancestors of today's birds, able to fly strongly and agilely.

    "We know that birds in the early Cretaceous, about 115 to 130 million years ago, were capable of flight but probably not as well adapted for it as modern birds," said Atterholt, who is now an assistant professor and human anatomy instructor at the Western University of Health Sciences in Pomona, California. "What this new fossil shows is that enantiornithines, though totally separate from modern birds, evolved some of the same adaptations for highly refined, advanced flight styles."

    The fossil's breast bone or sternum, where flight muscles attach, is more deeply keeled than other enantiornithines, implying a larger muscle and stronger flight more similar to modern birds. The wishbone is more V-shaped, like the wishbone of modern birds and unlike the U-shaped wishbone of earlier avians and their dinosaur ancestors. The wishbone or furcula is flexible and stores energy released during the wing stroke.


    If enantiornithines in the late Cretaceous were just as advanced as modern birds, however, why did they die out with the dinosaurs while the ancestors of modern birds did not?

    "This particular bird is about 75 million years old, about 10 million years before the die-off," Atterholt said. "One of the really interesting and mysterious things about enantiornithines is that we find them throughout the Cretaceous, for roughly 100 million years of existence, and they were very successful. We find their fossils on every continent, all over the world, and their fossils are very, very common, in a lot of areas more common than the group that led to modern birds. And yet modern birds survived the extinction while enantiornithines go extinct."

    One recently proposed hypothesis argues that the enantiornithines were primarily forest dwellers, so that when forests went up in smoke after the asteroid strike that signaled the end of the Cretaceous—and the end of non-avian dinosaurs—the enantiornithines disappeared as well. Many enantiornithines have strong recurved claws ideal for perching and perhaps climbing, she said.

    © Copyright Original Source



    Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-11-rare-f...stery.html#jCp

    After the great extinction event apparently there were at least three groups of orders of main class of birds that survived, The Ratites,
    Anseriformes (duck billed birds) and the rest of the bird orders. All the forest dwelling birds of the time apparently did not survive of the time did not survive, and the surviving birds evolved and adapted to forest environments..
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  5. #5
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    44,413
    Amen (Given)
    960
    Amen (Received)
    16553
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Well, that would be evidence for macro-evolution. The evidence against macro-evolution in the fossil record is that we see long periods of stasis, followed by the sudden appearance of new forms.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    "Sudden" is an extremely relative term. In the geologic record "sudden" might mean over the course of hundreds of thousands or even more than a million years.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  6. #6
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    44,413
    Amen (Given)
    960
    Amen (Received)
    16553
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Well, that would be evidence for macro-evolution. The evidence against macro-evolution in the fossil record is that we see long periods of stasis, followed by the sudden appearance of new forms.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    I should also point out that there really is no doubt that macroevolution took place and continues to take place as it has been repeatedly been observed both in nature and the lab. You see speciation, which is when a lineage splits into two or more genetically distinct groups, is a form of macroevolution[1] and occurs so often that even the major Young Earth Creationist (YEC) groups have abandoned the claim that it does not take place and a few even fully embrace it with at least a couple of them now relying on it as an explanation for how a boatload of animals could be responsible for the incredibly wide diversity of lifeforms that inhabit the planet today.






    1. macroevolution by definition is evolutionary change AT or above the species level.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  7. #7
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,210
    Amen (Given)
    1324
    Amen (Received)
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    I should also point out that there really is no doubt that macroevolution took place and continues to take place as it has been repeatedly been observed both in nature and the lab. You see speciation, which is when a lineage splits into two or more genetically distinct groups, is a form of macroevolution[1] and occurs so often that even the major Young Earth Creationist (YEC) groups have abandoned the claim that it does not take place and a few even fully embrace it with at least a couple of them now relying on it as an explanation for how a boatload of animals could be responsible for the incredibly wide diversity of lifeforms that inhabit the planet today.






    1. macroevolution by definition is evolutionary change AT or above the species level.
    One of the reason I pick birds as an example of macro evolution is the vast amount of intermediaries and the variety of species in the fossil record evolving from feathered dinosaurs to avian dinosaurs to birds. China's vast finds of near perfectly preserved examples over a period of millions of years in slates primarily from lake sediments in volcanic regions during the periods birds evolved, and more are being discovered all the time. I have been to the primary sites in Liaoning Province, China where most of these discoveries were made. Fossil hunters are blessed by vast amount of species asphyxiated by volcanic gases and fall into the lakes and quickly covered with ash. The finds in the rest of the world like Germany fill in many of the gaps in the fossil record.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-25-2018 at 01:57 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  8. #8
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    44,413
    Amen (Given)
    960
    Amen (Received)
    16553
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    One of the reason I pick birds as an example of macro evolution is the vast amount of intermediaries and the variety of species in the fossil record evolving from feathered dinosaurs to avian dinosaurs to birds. China's vast finds of near perfectly preserved examples over a period of millions of years in slates primarily from lake sediments in volcanic regions during the periods birds evolved, and more are being discovered all the time. I have been to the primary sites in Liaoning Province, China where most of these discoveries were made. Fossil hunters are blessed by vast amount of species asphyxiated by volcanic gases and fall into the lakes and quickly covered with ash. The finds in the rest of the world like Germany fill in many of the gaps in the fossil record.
    My favorite is the transition from primitive amniotes to mammals via the synapsids, commonly referred to "mammal-like reptiles." The record is so complete that there is spirited debated over whether to categorize some as "mammal-like reptiles" or as "reptile-like mammals."

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  9. #9
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,210
    Amen (Given)
    1324
    Amen (Received)
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    My favorite is the transition from primitive amniotes to mammals via the synapsids, commonly referred to "mammal-like reptiles." The record is so complete that there is spirited debated over whether to categorize some as "mammal-like reptiles" or as "reptile-like mammals."
    Yes, this is a good example. I object the concept of a 'sudden appearance' of species, because this only based on the limitations of fossil finds and 'argument from ignorance' asserting, because there are no fossils found at present there is a sudden unexplained appearance.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •