Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

New Bird/Dinosaur intermediate species found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

An interesting example is the evaluation of old discoveries. In the slates where the first archaeopteryx was found they also found a complete feather they thought belonged to the archaeopteryx, but based on further discoveries it was found to be a more evolved avian dinosaur with bird flight or a bird's feather that lived at the same time as the Archaeopteryx.
    Correction: The fossils were found in thin platy limestone, not slates.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Actually Darwin predicted that there would be periods of stasis since organisms will evolve at different rates pretty much from the get go.

Source: On The Origin of the Species, First Edition

”Species of different genera and classes have not changed at the same rate, or in the same degree. In the oldest tertiary beds a few living shells may still be found in the midst of a multitude of extinct forms. Falconer has given a striking instance of a similar fact, in an existing crocodile associated with many strange and lost mammals and reptiles in the sub-Himalayan deposits. The Silurian Lingula differs but little from the living species of this genus; whereas most of the other Silurian Molluscs and all the Crustaceans have changed greatly.”

Source

© Copyright Original Source

But change when it happens in evolution needs to be gradual, that is why punctuated equilibrium is a departure from classical Darwinism.

Blessings,
      Lee
      "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Please note that the book observed that by the present evidence at the time there were gaps that indicated stasis, and not the conclusion, and not the conclusion that stasis was not the fact.
        The conclusion was stasis, and this conclusion still stands!

Source: Ridley

Stasis is the situation in which evolutionary lineages persist for long periods without change. In the fossil record, stasis is common but it has recently taken on a new importance with the punctuated equilibrium debate.

Blessings,
        Lee
        "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post

You need to more completely cite your source (which source?) and what is Riley's view of evolution.

Stasis is the situation in which evolutionary lineages persist for long periods without change. In the fossil record, stasis is common but it has recently taken on a new importance with the punctuated equilibrium debate.

Blessings,
          Lee
          I did not reject stasis I just clarified it. We are talking millions and billions of years of evolution. Periods of apparent stasis does not mean evolution does not take place, even during periods of apparent stasis.

In a previous thread you argued for evolution must always change. No stasis.

This thread is about bird evolution, and the evolution is documented continuous over millions of years in the Cretaceous and after without apparent stasis.

The longest period of stasis is likely the set of twenty amino acids. If there is no evolutionary pressure nor need to change, there will be no change throughout the history of evolution.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-02-2019, 07:43 PM.
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Blessings,
            Lee
            Incomplete reference. You need the context and a more complete reference, and clarify how Riley considers stasis the theme of evolution. Which reference is this?

Frank

Comment

But change when it happens in evolution needs to be gradual, that is why punctuated equilibrium is a departure from classical Darwinism.

Blessings,
              Lee
              Not at all. As Darwin wrote "Species of different genera and classes have not changed at the same rate." IOW, evolutionary change can be very gradual or come in relatively quick (geologically speaking) bursts.

From a post I made on the pre-crash Tweb concerning Punctuated Equilibrium and Gradualism:
              There are still papers being published on fossil data that shows that gradualistic evolutionary change is still recognized as completely legitimate: Gradual evolution in bacteria: evidence from Bacillus systematic and here is an earlier one: Parallel gradualistic evolution of Ordovician trilobites. And perhaps you might want to read this as well:

Source: Large Punctuational Contribution of Speciation to Evolutionary Divergence at the Molecular Level

A long-standing debate in evolutionary biology concerns whether species diverge gradually through time or by punctuational episodes at the time of speciation. We found that approximately 22% of substitutional changes at the DNA level can be attributed to punctuational evolution, and the remainder accumulates from background gradual divergence.

Source

In fact, Eldredge and Gould went out of their way to repeatedly point out that “Punk Eek” in no way supplanted gradualism but worked alongside of it as Donald Prothero notes in a review of the subject:

Source: PUNCTUATED EQUILIBRIUM AT TWENTY: A PALEONTOLOGICAL PERSPECTIVE, pages 42-43

As Gould and Eldredge (1977) pointed out in their five-year retrospective on the debate, it's easy to pick one specific example of either gradualism or punctuation, but the important issue is one of generality. Which pattern is dominant among the species in the fossil record, since both are known to occur? If you sample all the members of a given fauna, which pattern is most common? In the twenty years since the paper, more and more case studies have been generated, and by now a pattern seems to be emerging (Gould, 1992; Stanley, 1992).

It is now clear that among microscopic protistans, gradualism does seem to prevail (Hayami and Ozawa, 1975; Scott, 1982; Arnold, 1983; Malmgren and Kennett, 1981; Malmgren et al., 1983; Wei and Kennett, 1988, on foraminiferans; Kellogg and Hays, 1975; Kellogg, 1983; Lazarus et al., 1985; Lazarus, 1986, on radiolarians, and Sorhannus et al., 1988; Fenner et al., 1989; Sorhannus,1990, on diatoms). As discussed by Gould and Eldredge (1977) and Lazarus (1983), this may be due to the fact that most of these organisms are either asexual clones, or show alternation of of sexual and asexual generations.

Source

So the observations actually reveal that both take place. It isn't an either-or situation but rather a complementary one. So as Prothero notes, Eldredge and Gould were aware of examples of both gradualism and PE, and like everyone else, wondered "which pattern is dominant." ... The only question that remains is which process is the dominant one.

Source: Is evolution gradual or punctuated?: Large Punctuational Contribution of Speciation to Evolutionary Divergence at the Molecular Level

A long-standing debate in evolutionary biology concerns whether species diverge gradually through time or by punctuational episodes at the time of speciation. We found that approximately 22% of substitutional changes at the DNA level can be attributed to punctuational evolution, and the remainder accumulates from background gradual divergence.

Source

I should also note that due to the incompleteness of the fossil record something that might appear to have changed rather suddenly may indeed have evolved gradually
              Last edited by rogue06; 03-03-2019, 02:20 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

More like a "sudden" discovery then a sudden species popping up. The word play certainly can be confusing. Birds and fish.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnHermes View Post
                  More like a "sudden" discovery then a sudden species popping up. The word play certainly can be confusing. Birds and fish.
                  More like resorting to 'blue smoke and mirrors' and 'arguing from ignorance' to selectively manipulate the physical evidence to justify an 'Intelligent Design' religious agenda.

When the curtain is removed from the side show it is not confusing at all.
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-03-2019, 07:34 AM.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    From a post I made on the pre-crash Tweb concerning Punctuated Equilibrium and Gradualism...
                    Well, I'm not sure that examining DNA is the way to find out whether changes were sudden or gradual! It would be helpful to know what their methodology was.

I should also note that due to the incompleteness of the fossil record something that might appear to have changed rather suddenly may indeed have evolved gradually
                    Certainly, though in the case of the Cambrian explosion, the fossil record should show some intermediates--only it doesn't.

Blessings,
                    Lee

Comment

Incomplete reference. You need the context and a more complete reference, and clarify how Riley considers stasis the theme of evolution. Which reference is this?
                      The reference is in the link I posted, which is found here.

Blessings,
                      Lee

Comment

Certainly, though in the case of the Cambrian explosion, the fossil record should show some intermediates--only it doesn't.
                        Intermediates between what? Where should they be found? Be specific.

Show us that this isn't another case of you claiming that no evidence exists despite knowing sod all about the subject.

Otherwise it's not that there are no intermediates, it's only that you don't know of any intermediates.
                        Last edited by Roy; 03-04-2019, 05:20 AM.
                        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Well, I'm not sure that examining DNA is the way to find out whether changes were sudden or gradual! It would be helpful to know what their methodology was.
                          ... but you can't be bothered to click on the link and find out.
                          Last edited by Roy; 03-04-2019, 05:56 AM.
                          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

The reference is in the link I posted, which is found here.

Blessings,
                            Lee
                            OK, but too brief to explain the role of stasis in the history of evolution. If you read a more complete reference to Riley's works you can put his views of stasis in the context of evolution you read a more comprehension of the role of stasis in evolution.

Like the example given of the coelecanth the surviving species was one of many closely related species coelecanth that lives in a very deep water protected environment for which it survived the catastrophic events that killed off many species including the shallow sea and river species related to the coelecanth found in the fossils. This was a long term stable environment that the coelecanth was best suited and there was no pressure, competition, nor change in environment.

Evolution is based on survival of the best suited and adapted to the environment. The set of 20 amino acids remained the foundation of RNA and DNA, because it was the best suited and adapted to the requirements of independent energy transfer and utilization in life, and remains the best suited from the first microorganisms in the oxygen-phosphorous- iron environment to the present. Like the coelecanth it was best adapted, and persisted without change. In the case of the set of 20 amino acids no other basic combination could compete and therefore did not survive. Nonetheless the basic set of amino acids has evolved to add more amino acids.

Frank

Comment

[/qoute]

Blessings,
                              Lee
                              Certainly, if you would do your homework you would find that they are finding some intermediates. The problem remains that you are resorting to an unethical 'argument from ignorance' claiming that the present lack of fossil finds determine that intermediates do not exist. Over time like with the evolution of birds they are finding more and more intermediates, and in the case of birds they are finding many diverse intermediates throughout the Cretaceous and later.

As with the history of your threads and posts you consistent fail to do your own homework, research, nor actually read the references, because of an 'Intelligent Design' religious agenda. You also over your history repeat repeatedly tired old layman arguments without legitimate scientific references, not background.
                              Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-04-2019, 09:26 AM.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                                Intermediates between what? Where should they be found?
                                Intermediates between Ediacaran animals and brachiopods, trilobites, mollusks, echinoderms, etc. They should be found in pre-Cambrian layers of the fossil record.

Blessings,
                                Lee

Comment