Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Letter Christianity

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    This reminds me of discussions we (not you and I) have had in the past (in the Mormon forum, of all places) about "the Troubles" in Northern Ireland. That is always pointed out to be a religious war, where it was actually a clash of cultures where both sides happened to be largely Catholic or Protestant.

To me, it's an error to assume that the majority of Christians who support Trump do so because they back him -- but that he happens to represent (or did when I voted for him) the only avenue toward the larger cultural issues at stake.
    The problem with this analysis is fairly simple: I can vote for a person because they represent the lesser of two evils. Once they are in office however, they are in office. For me to continually reply "strongly approve" is no longer just accepting the lesser of two evils. "Strongly Approve" is a different statement altogether.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I'm still wondering what "anger" you're seeing so abundantly here. I've seen things posted in anger by Christians, but don't recall seeing any recently.
    OBP, seriously? Can you really look at the posts of some of the chronic offenders here, and not see hostility, anger, sarcasm, etc.? The fruits of the spirit are....? Love is....?
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    The problem with this analysis is fairly simple: I can vote for a person because they represent the lesser of two evils. Once they are in office however, they are in office. For me to continually reply "strongly approve" is no longer just accepting the lesser of two evils. "Strongly Approve" is a different statement altogether.
    But are they "strongly approving" because he's advancing their cultural goals, or because they are "Evangelical Christians" endorsing his conduct or character?
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That has me puzzled, as well. This can be a difficult medium, of course, lacking facial expression, tone of voice, etc, but.. to ascribe anger to a post would, in my opinion, require a lot more context...
    OK - I give. I suspect the vitriol spewed by many here (on both sides, I acknowledge) is simply going to go unacknowledged. I really don't have the inclination to go find the posts and link them, especially since history suggests they will be defended/dismissed even if I do. I'll go so far as to mark any future posts I believe to be of that ilk.

Perhaps we can start with any post from MM in which he changes the name of the person to whom he is responding to some grade-school taunt...?

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    But are they "strongly approving" because he's advancing their cultural goals, or because they are "Evangelical Christians" endorsing his conduct or character?
    Yes. I search the news and the various fora I participate in, and the vast majority of evangelicals are either completely mum on his behavior, or they defend it as "refreshingly honest" (which makes me throw up in my mouth a little). It's not AL evangelicals, mind you. After all, there's still 17% who disapprove or "strongly disapprove." But the trend is pretty evident.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    OK - I give. I suspect the vitriol spewed by many here (on both sides, I acknowledge) is simply going to go unacknowledged. I really don't have the inclination to go find the posts and link them, especially since history suggests they will be defended/dismissed even if I do. I'll go so far as to mark any future posts I believe to be of that ilk.

Perhaps we can start with any post from MM in which he changes the name of the person to whom he is responding to some grade-school taunt...?
    Oh, I agree it's juvenile - but "angry"? "vitriolic"? And I'm not sure what either have to do with sarcasm. Are you redefining words to suit again or something?
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

7. Amen Cow Poke, Mountain Man amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    OBP, seriously? Can you really look at the posts of some of the chronic offenders here, and not see hostility, anger, sarcasm, etc.? The fruits of the spirit are....? Love is....?
    I hope by "chronic offenders" you include Starlight, Tassman, and Jim.

It works both ways, sweetpea.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

MM loves to push back. Does he have to have "anger" or malice to do that? Of course not. In many instances, I think he's toying with the left because he can get a rise out of them.

Many years ago, I was in one of many HR Management conferences, and the woman teaching it had created a number of personas we encounter in the workplace.

She would describe the habits and attitudes of a particular persona, then ask, "Why do you think she acts that way". After numerous attempts by attendees to try to explain her behavior (anger, resentment, bitterness, hurt), the instructor would say, "NO -- it's because IT WORKS!!!!"

I suspect MM posts that way for the same reason - it WORKS! It's certainly got you all in a dither!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    I hope by "chronic offenders" you include Starlight, Tassman, and Jim.

It works both ways, sweetpea.
    In their cases, they are non-Christians coming onto a Christian-run board for no other reason than to attack and cause trouble. And don't forget the tRumpmeister.

11. Amen mossrose, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yes. I search the news and the various fora I participate in, and the vast majority of evangelicals are either completely mum on his behavior,
    It's out there for everybody to see, and there are PLENTY of people not only exposing it, but exaggerating it to the extent that you'd think the guy was Satan's meaner brother.

or they defend it as "refreshingly honest" (which makes me throw up in my mouth a little).
    Not me, or anybody I know.

It's not AL evangelicals, mind you. After all, there's still 17% who disapprove or "strongly disapprove." But the trend is pretty evident.
    I think you outta step away from the keyboard and enjoy your time in N'Awlins.