Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Red Letter Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    OK - I give. I suspect the vitriol spewed by many here (on both sides, I acknowledge) is simply going to go unacknowledged. I really don't have the inclination to go find the posts and link them, especially since history suggests they will be defended/dismissed even if I do. I'll go so far as to mark any future posts I believe to be of that ilk.

Perhaps we can start with any post from MM in which he changes the name of the person to whom he is responding to some grade-school taunt...?
    Oh, I agree it's juvenile - but "angry"? "vitriolic"? And I'm not sure what either have to do with sarcasm. Are you redefining words to suit again or something?
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

OBP, seriously? Can you really look at the posts of some of the chronic offenders here, and not see hostility, anger, sarcasm, etc.? The fruits of the spirit are....? Love is....?
      I hope by "chronic offenders" you include Starlight, Tassman, and Jim.

It works both ways, sweetpea.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

OK - I give. I suspect the vitriol spewed by many here (on both sides, I acknowledge) is simply going to go unacknowledged. I really don't have the inclination to go find the posts and link them, especially since history suggests they will be defended/dismissed even if I do. I'll go so far as to mark any future posts I believe to be of that ilk.

Perhaps we can start with any post from MM in which he changes the name of the person to whom he is responding to some grade-school taunt...?
        MM loves to push back. Does he have to have "anger" or malice to do that? Of course not. In many instances, I think he's toying with the left because he can get a rise out of them.

Many years ago, I was in one of many HR Management conferences, and the woman teaching it had created a number of personas we encounter in the workplace.

She would describe the habits and attitudes of a particular persona, then ask, "Why do you think she acts that way". After numerous attempts by attendees to try to explain her behavior (anger, resentment, bitterness, hurt), the instructor would say, "NO -- it's because IT WORKS!!!!"

I suspect MM posts that way for the same reason - it WORKS! It's certainly got you all in a dither!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

In their cases, they are non-Christians coming onto a Christian-run board for no other reason than to attack and cause trouble. And don't forget the tRumpmeister.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yes. I search the news and the various fora I participate in, and the vast majority of evangelicals are either completely mum on his behavior,
            It's out there for everybody to see, and there are PLENTY of people not only exposing it, but exaggerating it to the extent that you'd think the guy was Satan's meaner brother.

or they defend it as "refreshingly honest" (which makes me throw up in my mouth a little).
            Not me, or anybody I know.

It's not AL evangelicals, mind you. After all, there's still 17% who disapprove or "strongly disapprove." But the trend is pretty evident.
            I think you outta step away from the keyboard and enjoy your time in N'Awlins.

Comment

Yes. I search the news and the various fora I participate in, and the vast majority of evangelicals are either completely mum on his behavior, or they defend it as "refreshingly honest" (which makes me throw up in my mouth a little). It's not AL evangelicals, mind you. After all, there's still 17% who disapprove or "strongly disapprove." But the trend is pretty evident.
              I suspect by "refreshingly honest" they intend something like "refreshingly frank" - as in, he doesn't hide behind slippery words, but speaks his mind. You've got to admit, the man has no filter. That's not necessarily good, but it is a welcome respite from doublespeak.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Oh, I agree it's juvenile - but "angry"? "vitriolic"? And I'm not sure what either have to do with sarcasm. Are you redefining words to suit again or something?
                http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post578935
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Yes - it does. But then again, when you claim to hold the higher moral ground, that changes things a bit....
                  The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    MM loves to push back. Does he have to have "anger" or malice to do that? Of course not. In many instances, I think he's toying with the left because he can get a rise out of them.

Many years ago, I was in one of many HR Management conferences, and the woman teaching it had created a number of personas we encounter in the workplace.

She would describe the habits and attitudes of a particular persona, then ask, "Why do you think she acts that way". After numerous attempts by attendees to try to explain her behavior (anger, resentment, bitterness, hurt), the instructor would say, "NO -- it's because IT WORKS!!!!"

I suspect MM posts that way for the same reason - it WORKS! It's certainly got you all in a dither!
                    Actually - you too are off the mark. I would hardly describe my frame of mind as "in a dither." I am noting what I observe. It has little/no impact on me on a day-to-day basis. As a nation, I think it has some concern, but ultimately, little. Historically, extremism is only temporarily successful.

Comment

In their cases, they are non-Christians coming onto a Christian-run board for no other reason than to attack and cause trouble. And don't forget the tRumpmeister.
                      As I have noted before...many so-called atheists are more anti-theists than atheists. As an atheist, I believe god does not exist. As a rational person, I believe it is better for people to believe what is true than what is not true - so I believe people should let go of their theisms and move to atheism. That's a natural consequence of my beliefs. I'm not feeling an urgent need to go out and "fight theism." I recognize that theism has served its purpose in the course of human evolution, and I believe it is indeed time to let it go. But that will happen as it happens.

And some of my best friends are theists...

Comment

Yes - it does. But then again, when you claim to hold the higher moral ground, that changes things a bit....
                        Does it?

The people I mentioned in my post also claim to be "moral".

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

It's out there for everybody to see, and there are PLENTY of people not only exposing it, but exaggerating it to the extent that you'd think the guy was Satan's meaner brother.
                          Please provide links to any significant outcry from evangelicals (setting aside the RLC) about Trump.

Not me, or anybody I know.
                          Try this

I think you outta step away from the keyboard and enjoy your time in N'Awlins.
                          Already happenin!

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            I suspect by "refreshingly honest" they intend something like "refreshingly frank" - as in, he doesn't hide behind slippery words, but speaks his mind. You've got to admit, the man has no filter. That's not necessarily good, but it is a welcome respite from doublespeak.
                            The man has no filter....and it is not a "welcome respite from doublespeak." IMO, such a statement can only be made by someone completely oblivious to what political leadership is all about. Politics is not a dirty word - it is the art and craft of moving a body forward towards an end. Sometimes it requires straight-forward speak - sometimes it requires a bit of pandering - sometimes it requires interacting with people one would never invite to their homes for dinner. Trump is a bull in a China shop. He's not refreshing. He's amazingly and distressingly naive and dangerously susceptible to praise. Do you seriously think, for one moment, that China and Russia did not advise Kim Jon Un to "pander to this man, praise him, and tell him that only he could have pulled this off!" If you do that, you can get all military exercises stopped with South Korea with no hard/fast commitment on your side to denuclearize. He'll be putty in your hand - you just need to tell him how awesome he is...and how bad his enemies are. He's a classic narcissistic."

And I find the "double speak" of the press on the right disturbing. When Obama even deigned to speak to a dictator, he was piled on as a traitor to American ideals. Trump not only deigns to speak with them, but salutes their military leaders as equals - and the right is fawning all over his "leadership." This is a dictatorship with an amazing history of abuses.... really?

Comment

Does it?

The people I mentioned in my post also claim to be "moral".
                              True. But the claim of an atheist to relative morality and the claim of a theist to "absolute" morality seems to be a bit different, wouldn't you say?

Look, I do not defend the people you cite. Indeed, while we are apparently, all "atheists," I suspect we are atheists with a very different agenda. I sometimes cringe when I see some of their posts, I have called them on some of them (the ones I have seen). But there is a claim within Christianity to an "absolute" moral superiority. After all, the moral code comes from god, right? Yet I see behavior not all that different than what I see from the people you cite. So....?

Comment

True. But the claim of an atheist to relative morality and the claim of a theist to "absolute" morality seems to be a bit different, wouldn't you say?

Look, I do not defend the people you cite. Indeed, while we are apparently, all "atheists," I suspect we are atheists with a very different agenda. I sometimes cringe when I see some of their posts, I have called them on some of them (the ones I have seen). But there is a claim within Christianity to an "absolute" moral superiority. After all, the moral code comes from god, right? Yet I see behavior not all that different than what I see from the people you cite. So....?
                                I think CP already responded to this, quite sufficiently, in post #2 of this thread.

Comment