Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Red Letter Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, what a DEVASTATING example. I'm sure glad I didn't amen THAT one.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Actually - you too are off the mark.
      Nope, I'm not.

I would hardly describe my frame of mind as "in a dither."
      Why such anger and hostility?

I am noting what I observe. It has little/no impact on me on a day-to-day basis. As a nation, I think it has some concern, but ultimately, little. Historically, extremism is only temporarily successful.
      You need to calm down, Carpe, and stop the hate and vitriol and anger.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        I think CP already responded to this, quite sufficiently, in post #2 of this thread.
        Yes. Yes I did.

Comment

I think CP already responded to this, quite sufficiently, in post #2 of this thread.
          He responded....

Sufficiently is another question...
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Wow, what a DEVASTATING example. I'm sure glad I didn't amen THAT one.
            You are wise - grasshopper...
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Recently, I made a comment in another thread about my perception that there is a vein of anger that exists within Christianity (like a vein in the body). I was (justly) taken to task for somewhat loose use of language. I intended the analogy to be "a vein is part of the body, but not all of it) But the analogy was flawed because a vein (it was pointed out) is a vital part of the body. And "within Christianity" is over-broad. It is not all aspects of Christianity. It is most notable in the American version of Christianity, and most specifically in the evangelical movement. But even that was not all that well received, possibly because we have a fairly significant evangelical contingent right here.

I see this anger in the postings of many of the people here - and in many of the positions taken. I was fascinated, as a consequence, to listen to a podcast this morning (part of the Here and Now series) in which they interviewed Bob Golden. Bob Golden is a leader in the Red Letter Christian movement. If you are not familiar with it, it is an evangelical movement, but they have jettisoned the term "evangelical" because, as best I can tell, they have come to see that term as being badly poisoned by what they call "toxic Christianity." The observations of this man dovetail almost exactly with my observations and what prompted my original comment.

If you are not familiar with Red Letter Christians, the name comes from the fact that, in many bibles, the words attributed to Jesus are printed in red letters. The movement seeks to call people back to the teachings attributed to Jesus, and is seriously concerned about the degree to which conventional Christain values are being jettisoned in the name of politics.

I'm curious to know what people think of this movement. But I also wanted to offer it as a partial affirmation of what I had early (more poorly) said: something is just not right in huge swaths of the evangelical community. The broad support for Trump, silence (or even defense and praise) for his worst actions and words, is just not in keeping with many of the traditional core tenets of Christianity. The positions for big business and big money and against the poor, they seem inconsistent with "blessed are the poor," and the parable of the widow's mite.

I found it heartening to know that a group like RLC exists, and is apparently getting traction. Maybe their message will be heard.
              Sounds familiar. Is this anything like the Bible edited by Thomas Jefferson? I believe he emphasized the parts that quoted Jesus Christ.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Nope, I'm not.
                Yes, you are - Dimbulb!

Why such anger and hostility?
                Because my underwear is chafing!

You need to calm down, Carpe, and stop the hate and vitriol and anger.
                Deep breath...
                Dep brath...
                Dp brth....
                D bth....

Waiter.... another martini....hic...

Comment

That is something called condemnation in no uncertain terms. Strong language? Absolutely. Anger? Vitriol? Meh. Is this another one of those times you're pretending to mind-read so you can smugly point out to others that they shouldn't do it either?
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    That is something called condemnation in no uncertain terms. Strong language? Absolutely. Anger? Vitriol? Meh. Is this another one of those times you're pretending to mind-read so you can smugly point out to others that they shouldn't do it either?

I will leave it to others who read to same post to come to their own conclusions. Your conclusion is evident....

Comment

The man has no filter....and it is not a "welcome respite from doublespeak." IMO, such a statement can only be made by someone completely oblivious to what political leadership is all about.
                      You say the kindest things....
                      Politics is not a dirty word - it is the art and craft of moving a body forward towards an end. Sometimes it requires straight-forward speak - sometimes it requires a bit of pandering - sometimes it requires interacting with people one would never invite to their homes for dinner. Trump is a bull in a China shop. He's not refreshing. He's amazingly and distressingly naive and dangerously susceptible to praise. Do you seriously think, for one moment, that China and Russia did not advise Kim Jon Un to "pander to this man, praise him, and tell him that only he could have pulled this off!" If you do that, you can get all military exercises stopped with South Korea with no hard/fast commitment on your side to denuclearize. He'll be putty in your hand - you just need to tell him how awesome he is...and how bad his enemies are. He's a classic narcissistic."
                      I think you have an over-active imagination.
                      And I find the "double speak" of the press on the right disturbing. When Obama even deigned to speak to a dictator, he was piled on as a traitor to American ideals. Trump not only deigns to speak with them, but salutes their military leaders as equals - and the right is fawning all over his "leadership." This is a dictatorship with an amazing history of abuses.... really?
                      I thought you didn't like 'whataboutism'.

Have another martini, carpe.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

He responded....

Sufficiently is another question...
                        Then nothing any of us say will satisfy you.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Then nothing any of us say will satisfy you.
                          At this point, he's on the verge of drunkposting.

Comment

I will leave it to others who read to same post to come to their own conclusions. Your conclusion is evident....
                            I suspect I have rather similar feelings to MM regarding that post (which is why I gave in an 'amen'), and I'm not angry at oxmixmudd at all.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                              Sounds familiar. Is this anything like the Bible edited by Thomas Jefferson? I believe he emphasized the parts that quoted Jesus Christ.
                              He removed all mention of miracles and mention of Christ's divinity as well as anything else he deemed to be supernatural in nature

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                He removed all mention of miracles and mention of Christ's divinity as well as anything else he deemed to be supernatural in nature
                                So, no.

Comment