Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Professor wants SJWs to also be considered veterans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    The way the US populace treats veterans comes across as pretty bizarre. In all other modern countries veterans are just viewed as run-of-the-mill citizens. To be a veteran is seen as no different than having been a teacher or a programmer. The idea of veterans getting a discount would have people scratching their heads.

While I think the OP about trying to selectively elevate SJW to veteran status is silly, I think it's silly because who, exactly, is going to be the gatekeeper as to who is a deserving SJW and who isn't? It's totally impractical. I am sympathetic to the claim that a lot of SJWs do far more for the well-being of the US as a nation than most veterans do - e.g. MLK Jr made a clear and lasting contribution to the nation far outweighing any single veteran in the 20th century. But I think the whole notion of giving veterans a special status is rather silly to begin with.
    I was at Mission BBQ yesterday and there was a WW2 vet there. Everyone applauded him. I don't find that bizarre at all. I find it patriotic. We owe our freedom to people like him. As do you.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      We went through a period when a good number of those on the left got to show their true colors, spitting and throwing garbage on returning soldiers (who were largely drafted and with little choice in the matter), calling them foul names and in some cases making it tough for them to get a job after being discharged.
      As did New Zealand.

NEW ZEALAND
      Apology to Vietnam veterans for unfair post-war treatment
      https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=10512493

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        But the bronze star goes to ....

"I actually pooped on a police car in Portland".
        But he wouldn't be in the VFW, unless Oregon secedes.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

But he wouldn't be in the VFW, unless Oregon secedes.
          OK, so he pooped on a police car in Toronto.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I was at Mission BBQ yesterday and there was a WW2 vet there. Everyone applauded him. I don't find that bizarre at all. I find it patriotic. We owe our freedom to people like him. As do you.
            Several months ago I was at a restaurant and saw a young soldier in uniform with his family (he looked like he may have been disabled but I'm not sure). I told my waitress when she came over to refill my drink to send his bill over to me so I can pay it. She said someone already did & someone else offered to do so as well. Made me proud to be an American.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Several months ago I was at a restaurant and saw a young soldier in uniform with his family (he looked like he may have been disabled but I'm not sure). I told my waitress when she came over to refill my drink to send his bill over to me so I can pay it. She said someone already did & someone else offered to do so as well. Made me proud to be an American.
              I've had that happen, as well. Asked for the check, but was told "somebody else is taking care of it".
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I've had that happen, as well. Asked for the check, but was told "somebody else is taking care of it".
                Yet, at least according to starlight[1], everywhere else in the world such behavior would be seen as "pretty bizarre."

1. Consider the source of course.

Comment

Yet, at least according to starlight[1], everywhere else in the world such behavior would be seen as "pretty bizarre."

1. Consider the source of course.
                  I found this news article about how New Zealand treats their vets. Apparently Starlight is right, none of the younger crowd gives a fart about them, but at least the older folks see that as a shame.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-z...ifference.html

Comment

Unrelated, but kinda so, when Mrs CP and I were younger, and we'd have our little kids in a restaurant, it always seemed to get attention because they were very well behaved at the dinner table. And we always bowed and prayed before we ate.

On more than a few occasions, when I asked for my check, I was told it was already paid for. On a couple of occasions, somebody would walk by my table and scoop up my ticket and say, "I got this!"

Mrs CP and I learned from that, and have done accordingly.

Comment

Unrelated, but kinda so, when Mrs CP and I were younger, and we'd have our little kids in a restaurant, it always seemed to get attention because they were very well behaved at the dinner table. And we always bowed and prayed before we ate.

On more than a few occasions, when I asked for my check, I was told it was already paid for. On a couple of occasions, somebody would walk by my table and scoop up my ticket and say, "I got this!"

Mrs CP and I learned from that, and have done accordingly.
                      You guys are privileged!!! I have never had someone say, "Look at that scurvy pirate over there, eating bacon and drinking grog! I will pay his tab!"

Comment

You guys are privileged!!! I have never had someone say, "Look at that scurvy pirate over there, eating bacon and drinking grog! I will pay his tab!"
                        That's because everyone knows you're gonna do a dine and dash any way.

Comment

That's because everyone knows you're gonna do a dine and dash any way.
                          Who can afford to pay for a snack of 40 kegs of rum and 30 tons of bacon?

Comment

Next time I see a flea bitten pirate I will be sure to pick up his bill! Beside all I got when I got off the plane in 72 was spit on...
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I found this news article about how New Zealand treats their vets. Apparently Starlight is right, none of the younger crowd gives a fart about them, but at least the older folks see that as a shame.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-z...ifference.html
                              Considering there are only 15 or 20 veterans of the NZ "military", that's not surprising...
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                                Next time I see a flea bitten pirate I will be sure to pick up his bill! Beside all I got when I got off the plane in 72 was spit on...
                                Flea-bitten? Ha. Fleas wouldn't dare get that close to me.

Comment