Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Are Young People Really This Ignorant...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Young People Really This Ignorant...

Of US history?

1-in-3 pass ‘US Citizenship test,’ just 19% for Americans 45 and younger

Just a third of Americans can pass a multiple choice "U.S. Citizenship Test," fumbling over such simple questions as the cause of the Cold War or naming just one thing Benjamin Franklin is famous for.

And of Americans 45 and younger, the passing rate is a tiny 19 percent, according to a survey done for the Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation.

Worse: The actual test only requires that 60 percent of the answers be correct. In the survey, just 36 percent passed.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...45-and-younger
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

I know I could no longer pass that test. I could once but I have forgotten much of that sort of information. I do recall the significance (the gist of it so to speak). I would have to do a whole lot of studying today to pass such a test.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      I know I could no longer pass that test. I could once but I have forgotten much of that sort of information. I do recall the significance (the gist of it so to speak). I would have to do a whole lot of studying today to pass such a test.
      Eh, it's multiple guess. I'd probably pass it fairly easily.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Of US history?
        I'd be surprised if it's only young people. Most U.S. citizens are blissfully ignorant of our history, and even our government workings. I remember this study that documented that only 1/4 (26%) of Americans could name the three branches of our federal and state governments.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          I had a Vietnamese couple in my shop studying for the test a few years back, it wasn't difficult at all. They both passed...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I had a Vietnamese couple in my shop studying for the test a few years back, it wasn't difficult at all. They both passed...
            The test is here:
            https://my.uscis.gov/en/prep/test/civics/view

I got 20/20

very easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              The test is here:

I got 20/20

very easy.
              17/20

The questions I failed on were (I'm not giving any numbers as I assume the questions are different each time you take the test), "What happened at the Constitutional Convention?", "We elect a U.S. Representative for how many years?" and "Where is the Statue of Liberty?".
              Last edited by JonathanL; 10-03-2018, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                17/20
                Durn Furiner!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  The test is here:

I got 20/20

very easy.
                  I got them all...

Comment

The only question I had to think for a moment on was what year was the Constitution written but by an easy process of elimination... IOW, 20 outta 20.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                      17/20

The questions I failed on were (I'm not giving any numbers as I assume the questions are different each time you take the test), "What happened at the Constitutional Convention?", "We elect a U.S. Representative for how many years?" and "Where is the Statue of Liberty?".
                      Yeah, I didn't get any of those but would have no trouble answering them.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        I think it changes all the time, they are still easy...

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          For the first question I was initially going to choose the correct option, but then I started to suspect it was a trick question and changed the answer at the last minute.

On the question about U.S. Representatives I answered 6 years because I mixed it up with how long a senator serves on the Senate.

I answered Long Island on the Statue of Liberty question.

Comment

I think it changes all the time, they are still easy...
                            I tried taking the practice test again. Some of the questions were the same, and some were different. I think the pool of questions that they draw from isn't particularly big.

Comment

I got them all...
                              Also 20/20, and (based on comments made here), the questions apparently are not always the same.
                              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment