Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Gosnell: The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer (2018)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gosnell: The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer (2018)

Yeah, it's a movie, so somebody might argue it needs to be in another forum, but it's about abortion at its worse.

And the media, at the time, seemed to cover it as little as possible.

Besides, I really like Dean Cain.

And this...

The filmmakers behind a controversial feature about abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell, now serving a life sentence, have released the first trailer ahead of a theatrical debut.

Gosnell: The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer opens wide Oct. 12 through GVN Releasing and stars Dean Cain as the detective who put Gosnell behind bars.

The film gets its title from a 2014 grand jury report that accuses the doctor of killing hundreds of newborns over the course of several decades in Philadelphia, though he was convicted of just three counts of first-degree murder and one count of involuntary manslaughter.

The movie, directed by Justified actor Nick Searcy and starring Earl Billings as Gosnell, has had a tough road, with producers Phelim McAleer and Anne McElhinney claiming that they were thrown off Kickstarter due to the anti-abortion nature of their film and had difficulty setting business meetings via traditional Hollywood avenues.

Most recently, the film was blocked by the judge in the Gosnell trial, who sued over his portrayal in the film as part of "Philadelphia's liberal corrupt government," though that issue, too, has been settled.

Gosnell, in fact, indicts not only the doctor but also government officials, the legal system and the media for ignoring what the filmmakers say was a pretty sensational trial in 2013. The trailer shows an empty press gallery, based on a photo at the time where about a dozen "reserved media" signs stretch across courtroom benches where no one was sitting.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, it's a movie, so somebody might argue it needs to be in another forum, but it's about abortion at its worse.

And the media, at the time, seemed to cover it as little as possible.

Besides, I really like Dean Cain.

And this...

The filmmakers behind a controversial feature about abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell, now serving a life sentence, have released the first trailer ahead of a theatrical debut.

Gosnell: The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer opens wide Oct. 12 through GVN Releasing and stars Dean Cain as the detective who put Gosnell behind bars.

The film gets its title from a 2014 grand jury report that accuses the doctor of killing hundreds of newborns over the course of several decades in Philadelphia, though he was convicted of just three counts of first-degree murder and one count of involuntary manslaughter.

The movie, directed by Justified actor Nick Searcy and starring Earl Billings as Gosnell, has had a tough road, with producers Phelim McAleer and Anne McElhinney claiming that they were thrown off Kickstarter due to the anti-abortion nature of their film and had difficulty setting business meetings via traditional Hollywood avenues.

Most recently, the film was blocked by the judge in the Gosnell trial, who sued over his portrayal in the film as part of "Philadelphia's liberal corrupt government," though that issue, too, has been settled.

Gosnell, in fact, indicts not only the doctor but also government officials, the legal system and the media for ignoring what the filmmakers say was a pretty sensational trial in 2013. The trailer shows an empty press gallery, based on a photo at the time where about a dozen "reserved media" signs stretch across courtroom benches where no one was sitting.
    About the bolded and underlined part, as I noted a couple months ago:
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    He's like all too many pro-abortion proponents. They'd much rather ignore anything that exposes just how barbaric the practice is that they insist should be an enshrined "right."

Remember the notorious picture of the press box taken during the height of Gosnell's trial?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31717[/ATTACH]

They kept trying to ignore it and hoped it would just go away. Now, imagine the coverage for anyone else accused of such horrendous even grotesque acts if they weren't associated with abortions. It would have been SRO with front page stories every day and leading the news broadcasts every night. This is the sort of story they normally love to cover. A great contrasting comparison would be the near saturation coverage the MSM gave Todd Akin's mind-numbingly stupid remark about women who were victims of "legitimate rape" rarely getting pregnant that took place around the same time as Gosnell's trial.

Eventually even The Atlantic (not exactly a hotbed of conservatism or pro-life sentiments) ran an article called Why Dr. Kermit Gosnell's Trial Should Be a Front-Page Story[1] where the author, Conor Friedersdorf, a staff writer for the magazine who covers politics and national affairs, admits

Until Thursday, I wasn't aware of this story. It has generated sparse coverage in the national media, and while it's been mentioned in RSS feeds to which I subscribe, I skip past most news items. I still consume a tremendous amount of journalism. Yet had I been asked at a trivia night about the identity of Kermit Gosnell, I would've been stumped and helplessly guessed a green Muppet.

Over at the even more liberal Slate, Dave Weigel (who now works for the Washington Post) explained the lack of interest was because the MSM

"...are, generally, pro-choice. Twice, in D.C., I've caused a friend to literally leave a conversation and freeze me out for a day or so because I suggested that the Stupak Amendment and the Hyde Amendment made sense. There is a bubble. Horror stories of abortionists are less likely to permeate that bubble than, say, a story about a right-wing pundit attacking an abortionist who then claims to have gotten death threats ... a reporter in the bubble is less likely to be compelled by the news of an arrested abortionist."

Eventually the MSM did start giving it some coverage. Likely because of the play it got on talk radio and the few conservative news outlets got people talking about it and consumers of the MSM started wondering what was going on and why hadn't they heard about it before. This has happened before like in the case of outlets like the New York Times having to belatedly explain what was going on only after Obama's Green Jobs Czar Van Jones was forced to resign (they had spiked the growing story until then). IIRC the same thing happened with the ACORN controversy.

1. WARNING! The story is graphic and includes images that some may find disturbing
    Attached Files

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Nightmare fuel.

Comment

Not really a date night movie!
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          Yeah, horrendous things like murdering live-born babies generally aren't. Unless, of course, you're a real sicko.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, horrendous things like murdering live-born babies generally aren't. Unless, of course, you're a real sicko.
            Keep in mind how many couples went to see slasher flicks like one of the Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th movies causing them to cling together tightly. IIRC, well before them Psycho was popular among young couples.

Not my idea of a great movie for such an outing, but

I think I told this story before but when my brother was staying with me after moving back with his new wife and baby, Debbie wanted to see Nightmare on Elm Street which was on cable (see has always loved horror movies). The AC was acting up and it was in the 90s so as they laid together on the floor under the ceiling fan watching it every time it got scary she would roll over and grab my brother. After a few seconds he would push her away because it was just so darn hot.

Well, being the dastardly guy that I am, I went down the hall and taped 10 penny nails to the ends of my fingers and thumb to simulate Freddy Krueger's signature bladed glove[1]. Then I returned and oh so slowly crawled up behind them slipping my hand between their pillows and patiently waited for the next scary scene (I had recently watched the movie and knew when it was coming). Just as it happened and Debbie rolled over to grab my brother, my hand pops up from between the pillows and I click the nails together.

She let out a scream that could have waked the dead.

I immediately jumped up and started to run off with a now thoroughly infuriated sister-in-law in hot pursuit. I was laughing to hard to get very far and she caught up with me in the next room with my brother close on her heels. She was shouting a string of obscenities at me (or I think she was but I was still laughing too hard to make out what she was saying), and when she took a breath to continue my brother pointed at the sheer under-curtains in front of the open sliding glass door that were moving because of the wind and let out a faux scream.

As she saw the moving curtains she let out another ear-piercing scream and as she realized it was nothing, immediately turned around and started venting her fury at him taking me out of the line of fire.

This was one of these things that she laughed about later on even if she still calls us a bunch of ... well, sphincters surrounding a void whenever it gets brought up.

1. 00000000000000ar1a1.jpg

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Absolutely.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Maybe it should be required viewing. Might prevent some unwanted pregnancies.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  Maybe it should be required viewing. Might prevent some unwanted pregnancies.
                  Currently, Texas requires women who are seeking abortions to look at their sonograms.

Comment

Currently, Texas requires women who are seeking abortions to look at their sonograms.
                    That's not a bad idea to require someone to at least look at the life they are wanting to snuff out before they can do it. Hope it spreads to other states.

Comment

And what have you to say about the men who cause these unwanted pregnancies?

Comment

cause? unless they attacked the woman, he didn't cause anything. She was a willing participant in a risky activity with known consequences.

oh and how come the man who "caused" the pregnancy doesn't get a say in whether his child is aborted or not?

Comment

The left has done a thorough job of taking what the father wants out of any decision process -- so nothing much can be said.

Comment

Except in the case of rape, my dear favorite extreme leftist troll, it was pretty much a joint action. If it's rape, the man needs to go to jail. Fair enough?

Comment

Except in the case of rape, my dear favorite extreme leftist troll, it was pretty much a joint action. If it's rape, the man needs to go to jail. Fair enough?
                              Power relationships between men and women are unequal and men don’t get half pregnant. The administration of justice in this situation is more complicated than you seem to imagine. So, no, it’s not fair enough.

Now that Bart O’Kavanaugh is on the KCOTUS, the arguements on both sides will have to be sharpened.

Comment