Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why are so many Christians adopting flat earthism?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaFille View Post
    And the people who would never have heard about this kind of silliness without the internet, are exposed to it and end up buying into it. And then they expose someone else... It's like a bad virus.
    especially on facebook. I can't believe the obvious scams and lies my own friends spread on facebook. I basically tell them not to send me anything that has "please share" on it. I am the internet's black hole, anything they want to share or pass on dies with me. I won't share that missing child post, or the one about getting good luck, or the one about the poison in our water, or how vaccines or aliens are killing our children, or even grandma's favorite cookie recipe. And if they continue to send me stuff like that, I will block them.

2. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Because it becomes easier to accept more garbage from their favorite talking points once they no longer have any points of authority to check anything against since everything out there has been discredited.
    Obviously the Great Delusion has gotten to you and satan told you to say that. You are a government stooge! Just ask Darfius.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Obviously the Great Delusion has gotten to you and satan told you to say that. You are a government stooge! Just ask Darfius.
    The world was flat before the Mandela Effect changed it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

5. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    especially on facebook. I can't believe the obvious scams and lies my own friends spread on facebook. I basically tell them not to send me anything that has "please share" on it. I am the internet's black hole, anything they want to share or pass on dies with me. I won't share that missing child post, or the one about getting good luck, or the one about the poison in our water, or how vaccines or aliens are killing our children, or even grandma's favorite cookie recipe. And if they continue to send me stuff like that, I will block them.
    Please share the above post

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

7. Amen Jedidiah, Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Please share the above post

I used to send back a reverse chain letter to people. Telling them they had to send it back to whoever sent them the original chain letter or they would get all of the bad luck promised to them by the original chain letter times 10.

9. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Because it becomes easier to accept more garbage from their favorite talking points once they no longer have any points of authority to check anything against since everything out there has been discredited.
    This is a good point, thank you.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This seems to be equally true of those with liberal and conservative leanings. Sad state of affairs.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

13. Amen LeaC, Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    This seems to be equally true of those with liberal and conservative leanings. Sad state of affairs.
    Perhaps if our schools were more focused on teaching critical thinking than the latest progressive talking points....
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

15. Amen Cerebrum123, Jedidiah, LeaC, Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Ultramontane Papist XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    A few celebrities have gotten a lot of attention for proclaiming the flat earth in the last couple of years, but on a rank and file level, there seem to be an awful lot of Christians going along for the ride, including a couple I know. One of them posted on her Facebook this morning that modern astronomy is idolatrous because heliocentrism is the worship of the sun, and bragged that she is not an idolater.

William Lane Craig weighed in on this a few weeks ago. His theory was that it's atheists masking as Christians trying to make us look stupid, but I don't think that explains it because the people I know who have fallen for this really are Christians.
    Similarly, some Catholics have rejected heliocentricism, and chosen instead to argue for geocentricicism. How much this is prompted by zeal for exact astronomy I have no idea; it may come from a belief that the Fathers of the Church are to be regarded as being as reliable when expressing ideas on astronomy, as when witnessing to the Faith of the Church. A Fundamentalism of the works of the Fathers is no better than a Fundamentalism of the Bible.