Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why are so many Christians adopting flat earthism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    A few celebrities have gotten a lot of attention for proclaiming the flat earth in the last couple of years, but on a rank and file level, there seem to be an awful lot of Christians going along for the ride, including a couple I know. One of them posted on her Facebook this morning that modern astronomy is idolatrous because heliocentrism is the worship of the sun, and bragged that she is not an idolater.
    Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
    . . . According to him, Satan is controlling NASA et al in order to oppose God. If you can get everyone to believe the earth is a globe, then since that directly contradicts the Bible, nobody will believe anything else the Bible says.
    I have been a Christian for over 40 years and I have never met anyone who was a believer in a flat earth. I believe that the earth is a globe, and all the related scientific views. I still believe what the Bible teaches and it does not teach a flat earth in my opinion. The whole thing is silly and not at all common in orthodox Christian circle, It may exist but it can not be 'common'.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      I have been a Christian for over 40 years and I have never met anyone who was a believer in a flat earth. I believe that the earth is a globe, and all the related scientific views. I still believe what the Bible teaches and it does not teach a flat earth in my opinion. The whole thing is silly and not at all common in orthodox Christian circle, It may exist but it can not be 'common'.
      It's only become a real issue in the last couple of years. I recently found out that a man I fellowshipped with at another church years ago has been considering the view in light of the attention it's gotten.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I think there is something to the idea that it's a broader worldview. The lady I know is a diehard Trump supporter who accuses everything of being "fake news". She simply chooses what she wants to believe and dismisses any evidence otherwise.

Teal and I got into it over this awhile back. She thought it was harmless. I see real epistemological harm with wide consequences.
        So, for example, satellite pictures of the earth, or even "movie film" from the Apollo Missions --- those are all fake, according to these people?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

When so many are saying it is what the Bible teaches*, and it's coming from scientist's, conservative Christians, and liberal Christians it isn't a surprise that people will take it as true contrary to what scientists are saying about the shape of the earth. Even rogue has said Genesis 1 describes a three tier cosmology. If you're going to say that is what the Bible really says, don't be surprised when people decide to take that as the truth.

*Or to paraphrase John Walton, what the Bible presupposes, but doesn't authoritatively teach.

Comment

A few celebrities have gotten a lot of attention for proclaiming the flat earth in the last couple of years, but on a rank and file level, there seem to be an awful lot of Christians going along for the ride, including a couple I know. One of them posted on her Facebook this morning that modern astronomy is idolatrous because heliocentrism is the worship of the sun, and bragged that she is not an idolater.

William Lane Craig weighed in on this a few weeks ago. His theory was that it's atheists masking as Christians trying to make us look stupid, but I don't think that explains it because the people I know who have fallen for this really are Christians.
            So, what evidence is there that this view is anything but extreme fringe? This is the first I've heard of it, aside from JohnMartin.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              So, what evidence is there that this view is anything but extreme fringe? This is the first I've heard of it, aside from JohnMartin.
              WLC saw fit to weigh in on it as a growing trend
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                So, for example, satellite pictures of the earth, or even "movie film" from the Apollo Missions --- those are all fake, according to these people?
                Yes. I've seen the argument used that it's not a coincidence that NASA's logo has the serpent's tongue.

Comment

Yes. I've seen the argument used that it's not a coincidence that NASA's logo has the serpent's tongue.
                  "Hey, we can't let on that we're secretly Satan's servants. How should we design our logo?" "I know, let's use a serpent's tongue!" "Great idea! They'll never guess who we serve!"

For the record, it doesn't look like one to me. It's a bit of a stretch. You can find just about anything in any given image if you're looking for it though.
                  Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                    "Hey, we can't let on that we're secretly Satan's servants. How should we design our logo?" "I know, let's use a serpent's tongue!" "Great idea! They'll never guess who we serve!"

For the record, it doesn't look like one to me. It's a bit of a stretch. You can find just about anything in any given image if you're looking for it though.
                    And are crazy enough

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      And are crazy enough
                      True.

Comment

William Lane Craig weighed in on this a few weeks ago. His theory was that it's atheists masking as Christians trying to make us look stupid, but I don't think that explains it because the people I know who have fallen for this really are Christians.
                        I think the internet just makes it easier to find loons in general. It gives them a public outlet to express themselves where they normally would not have one. Just look at the nuts that have appeared on tweb over the years, like Mickiel, John Martin, Magellen2004.

Maybe your friends have always been nuts and you just didn't know.

I have found out several of my friends are anti-vaxxers. I think that is a about the same level of lunacy as flat-earthism.

Also I think a lot of flat-earthers are just trolling against some of the more sanctimonious people who seem to get pleasure at pretending to be smarter than others. I confess I have felt the urge to do that on facebook just to see how many people I could hook. I can come up with a ton of fake proofs for it to confound them.
                        Last edited by Sparko; 10-08-2018, 07:29 AM.

Comment

It encourages a level of distrust that isn't helpful. The evidence that the earth isn't flat is so overwhelming that it causes people to be skeptical even in the face of clear evidence. As a result, it trains people to be overly gullible.
                          I know what you point is, but how can being overly skeptical be equivalent to overly gullible?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            I think the internet just makes it easier to find loons in general. It gives them a public outlet to express themselves where they normally would not have one. Just look at the nuts that have appeared on tweb over the years, like Mickiel, John Martin, Magellen2004.
                            I think this is a huge part of it - without the internetzweb, these nutters would be ignored in their own communities, and we'd never hear about them. Thank you, Al Gore!
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And the people who would never have heard about this kind of silliness without the internet, are exposed to it and end up buying into it. And then they expose someone else... It's like a bad virus.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                I know what you point is, but how can being overly skeptical be equivalent to overly gullible?
                                Because it becomes easier to accept more garbage from their favorite talking points once they no longer have any points of authority to check anything against since everything out there has been discredited.

Comment