Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why are so many Christians adopting flat earthism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are so many Christians adopting flat earthism?

A few celebrities have gotten a lot of attention for proclaiming the flat earth in the last couple of years, but on a rank and file level, there seem to be an awful lot of Christians going along for the ride, including a couple I know. One of them posted on her Facebook this morning that modern astronomy is idolatrous because heliocentrism is the worship of the sun, and bragged that she is not an idolater.

William Lane Craig weighed in on this a few weeks ago. His theory was that it's atheists masking as Christians trying to make us look stupid, but I don't think that explains it because the people I know who have fallen for this really are Christians.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Wow, I had no idea!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I've sometimes seen geocentrism growing in popularity. This holds that the Earth is the center of the universe, and the sun and stars rotate around it. We've had a few like that on this forum, and I've seen this opinion as well on some hyper-traditionalistic Catholic and Eastern Orthodox forums.

But not flat earth proponents. That's quite surprising if its the case.

Are you user its flat earth, and not geocentrism?

Comment

There is one at my church (only one, that I know of) and for him, it's because he believes the Bible teaches that the earth is flat. According to him, Satan is controlling NASA et al in order to oppose God. If you can get everyone to believe the earth is a globe, then since that directly contradicts the Bible, nobody will believe anything else the Bible says. If you bring up any scientific evidence that the earth is not flat, he says "you have to go back to the Scriptures!" and has some quick comeback to every evidence brought against his view. He says that airplane windows are intentionally designed to make the horizon look curved at high altitudes, the moon is a magnet on the surface of the sky and that's what makes tides work, etc. All the evidence of a global planet is a conspiracy from scientists, who are all Satan's pawns who work to discredit the Bible.

My dad has gotten into some pretty heated debates with this guy, but they are coming at it from different directions and are really talking past each other. You can't make him see how implausible such a conspiracy is because he's already decided what he believes the Bible really teaches, and for him to admit the Bible really says something else (or at the very least, allow for it to be a purely spiritual document without it needing to be scientifically accurate) is tantamount to heresy.
        Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          I've sometimes seen geocentrism growing in popularity. This holds that the Earth is the center of the universe, and the sun and stars rotate around it. We've had a few like that on this forum, and I've seen this opinion as well on some hyper-traditionalistic Catholic and Eastern Orthodox forums.

I've run into some of those, and they aren't necessarily flat earthers. Flat earthers are necessarily geocentrists, though, so they sometimes use the same arguments.
          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            A few celebrities have gotten a lot of attention for proclaiming the flat earth in the last couple of years, but on a rank and file level, there seem to be an awful lot of Christians going along for the ride, including a couple I know. One of them posted on her Facebook this morning that modern astronomy is idolatrous because heliocentrism is the worship of the sun, and bragged that she is not an idolater.

William Lane Craig weighed in on this a few weeks ago. His theory was that it's atheists masking as Christians trying to make us look stupid, but I don't think that explains it because the people I know who have fallen for this really are Christians.
            On another website a particularly bizarre poster who claimed to have 5 PhDs kept declaring that heliocentrism was an ancient Greek belief that the entire universe revolved around the young Greek sun god named Helios.

Here was his mantra: "Helios is the young Greek god of the sun. Have evidence? Greeks say he is the center of universe. Do you agree with heliocentrism?"

He kept repeating it no matter how often you pointed out that Helios wasn't the young Greek god of the sun but was the older Greek god who was eventually replaced by Apollo, and that isn't even close to what heliocentrism means. It is "the astronomical model in which the Earth and planets revolve around a relatively stationary Sun at the center of the Solar System." That what he said wasn't even close to what the Greeks believed[1].

But then again he would also frequently claim that the "invention" of time was "Kronus worship" and created for the purpose of worshiping the god Kronus. Aside from confusing Kronos for Chronos[2] with the latter being regarded as the personification of time -- time that can be measured (seconds, minutes, hours, years) in pre-Socratic philosophy -- and also not a god.He also referred to "old Lady Kronos" but both Kronos and Chronos are depicted as male.

1. they claimed was that he lived in a golden palace at the eastern ends of the earth by the River Oceanus (or Okeanos). From there he emerged each dawn and rode across the sky in a chariot (a chariot that his son Phaëton borrowed and lost control of) pulled by four fiery horses named Pyrois, Eos, Aethon and Phlegon. At the end of the day he landed in the land of the Hesperides from where he was transported back to his palace to await the start of the next day. So he was never thought of as being the center of the universe

2. In Greek mythology the former was a Titan associated with the harvest not a god, and his Roman equivalent is Saturn.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Its a mystery what attracts them to it. Usually they also tend to absorb a lot of other conspiracy theories: Kennedy being secretly assassinated, 9/11 being an inside Job, the US being secretly run by satanic Jesuits (if they're protestant), the US being secretly run by freemasons (if they're Catholic), School shootings being false flag operations to justify gun control, flouridation is sapping vital fluids...

I just wonder if its a really paranoid mindset, coupled together with a prideful superiority that makes them reject any other opinion than their own?

Comment

JohnMartin, who used to post here, was both and IIRC also held to the idea that the firmament was a solid structure in which the stars and planets were physically embedded.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  JohnMartin, who used to post here, was both and IIRC also held to the idea that the firmament was a solid structure in which the stars and planets were physically embedded.
                  So, you think he really believed that, or was doing that just to get attention.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    He fought too long and too hard not just here but elsewhere as well, without giving even the slightest slip that showed he was trolling, to be a Poe.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      I think he really believed it. He still posts about it on various blogs he opens now and then. He posted about it on a hyper-traditionalist forum somewhere. And I've seen other people like that online. Its definitely a real phenomenon.

Comment

I think he really believed it. He still posts about it on various blogs he opens now and then. He posted about it on a hyper-traditionalist forum somewhere. And I've seen other people like that online. Its definitely a real phenomenon.
                        wow

I guess it takes all kinds.

Comment

I think there is something to the idea that it's a broader worldview. The lady I know is a diehard Trump supporter who accuses everything of being "fake news". She simply chooses what she wants to believe and dismisses any evidence otherwise.

Teal and I got into it over this awhile back. She thought it was harmless. I see real epistemological harm with wide consequences.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            I think there is something to the idea that it's a broader worldview. The lady I know is a diehard Trump supporter who accuses everything of being "fake news". She simply chooses what she wants to believe and dismisses any evidence otherwise.

Teal and I got into it over this awhile back. She thought it was harmless. I see real epistemological harm with wide consequences.
                            Genuinely curious, what harm do you see in it?

Comment

Originally posted by LeaC View Post
                              Genuinely curious, what harm do you see in it?
                              It encourages a level of distrust that isn't helpful. The evidence that the earth isn't flat is so overwhelming that it causes people to be skeptical even in the face of clear evidence. As a result, it trains people to be overly gullible.

In the case of Christians holding the belief, it brings shame to the cause of Christ. As Augustine said, "Usually, even a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the heavens, and the other elements of this world, about the motion and orbit of the stars and even their size and relative positions, about the predictable eclipses of the sun and moon, the cycles of the years and the seasons, about the kinds of animals, shrubs, stones, and so forth, and this knowledge he holds to as being certain from reason and experience. Now, it is a disgraceful and dangerous thing for an infidel to hear a Christian, presumably giving the meaning of Holy Scripture, talking nonsense on these topics; and we should take all means to prevent such an embarrassing situation, in which people show up vast ignorance in a Christian and laugh it to scorn".

Comment