Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Do We Need to Change the Forum Title?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do We Need to Change the Forum Title?

Mormon leader: Nicknames for faith are ‘victory for Satan’

He almost looks like he's making a Satan face.

Nelson.jpeg

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — The president of the Mormon church reiterated Sunday that he wants members, the media and others to use the faith’s full name, saying nicknames are “a major victory for Satan.”

Addressing The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints’ twice-yearly conference in Salt Lake City, Russell M. Nelson said the church’s name “is not negotiable.”

“When the Savior clearly states what the name of his church should be, and even precedes his declaration with, ‘Thus shall my church be called,’ he is serious,” Nelson said. “And if we allow nicknames to be used and adopt or even sponsor those nicknames ourselves, he is offended.”

Nelson, 94, who is considered a prophet, reiterated that his instruction is not a name change, The Salt Lake Tribune reported.

“It is a correction,” he said. “It is the command of the Lord.”

Nelson’s speech came after the church announced Friday that the famed Mormon Tabernacle Choir has been renamed the Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square. It’s the first big change since Nelson announced guidelines in August asking people to stop using previously accepted shorthand names.

The faith had embraced and promoted the term Mormon over the past several years, using it in a documentary and TV and billboard ads. A church webpage that was up before Nelson’s announcement had described the term as an “unofficial but inoffensive nickname for members.”

If people use Mormon to describe the church or its members, Nelson on Sunday urged adherents to “be courteous and patient” in their efforts to correct them.

Nelson, who in January took over the top post of the Utah-based faith with 16 million members worldwide after the previous president died, rejected what he called “worldly arguments,” including the benefits of internet search engine optimization with the word “Mormon.”

The faith believes that God revealed the full church name to founder Joseph Smith in 1838. The term “Mormon” comes from the church’s signature scripture, the Book of Mormon, which followers believe is based on the record-keeping of an ancient prophet named Mormon.

The entry about the church in the Associated Press Stylebook, which many news outlets follow, remains unchanged.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

It's too long
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

I think we should leave it exactly as it is.
        I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

I look forward to them changing their website URL from lds.org to thechurchofjesuschristoflatterdaysaints.org

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Mormon leader: Nicknames for faith are ‘victory for Satan’

He almost looks like he's making a Satan face.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31867[/ATTACH]
            He looks like Uncle Screwtape...
            I am Punkinhead.

Comment

Well he is 93 so he won't be there too much longer. The next guy can rescind anything he says as a newer revelation.

God says abbreviations are fine! Especially on websites and stuff like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Well he is 93 so he won't be there too much longer. The next guy can rescind anything he says as a newer revelation.

God says abbreviations are fine! Especially on websites and stuff like that.
                True. What is really hilarious is that he just threw Monson, Hinckley, and several of his colleagues under the bus. The "I'm a Mormon" campaign was Monson's brainchild and Hinckley encouraged people to use the nickname in order to be more personable with non-believers. Nelson as good as called them servants of Satan.

Hmm... now I have to ask...what are they going to do with the Book of Mormon?
                I am Punkinhead.

Comment

The word "Mormon" is too long. Maybe we can eliminate one of the "m"s since there are two of them. Maybe the second one.
                  When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
                    True. What is really hilarious is that he just threw Monson, Hinckley, and several of his colleagues under the bus. The "I'm a Mormon" campaign was Monson's brainchild and Hinckley encouraged people to use the nickname in order to be more personable with non-believers. Nelson as good as called them servants of Satan.

well that's OK cuz the plates were compiled by the record keeper Mormon so...

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post

There seems to be a lot of that with past "prophets" in recent years.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        There seems to be a lot of that with past "prophets" in recent years.
                        But they managed that years ago with "continuing revelation". They can't help it they have a very fickle god.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think I see a piece of bunny rabbit fur stuck between his teeth.

This thread needs to be moved to the padded room.
                          Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-14-2018, 09:19 PM.
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            I think I see a piece of bunny rabbit fur stuck between his teeth.

This thread needs to be moved to the padded room.
                            No it doesn't.
                            I am Punkinhead.

Comment

The historical record shows that the Church's name has been significantly altered. In 1830, it was first named, "Church of Christ," in 1834, the name changed to "The Church of the Latter Day Saints," and in 1838, the name changed again, to "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

According to the Book of Mormon, Jesus Christ revealed the name of his church to the Nephite people: the " church of Christ".
                              "And they who were baptized in the name of Jesus were called the church of Christ." (3 Nephi 26:21)
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X