Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

So the Democrats fought dirty in the Kavanaugh nomination battle, and lost...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So the Democrats fought dirty in the Kavanaugh nomination battle, and lost...

Their takeaway? "We need to fight even dirtier next time."

Source: Marc Theissen

As Politico recently tweeted, "After failing to stop Kavanaugh's confirmation, Democrats wonder if it's time to be more ruthless."

More ruthless? There are a lot of reasons the effort to stop Kavanaugh failed, but a lack of ruthlessness is not one of them. Kavanaugh's opponents just tried to destroy a man without a shred of corroborating evidence. No tactic, no unfounded accusation, was too extreme.

Democrats demanded that the FBI investigate not just Christine Blasey Ford's uncorroborated accusations, but also the charge in the New Yorker's hit piece that Kavanaugh had exposed himself to a college classmate, Deborah Ramirez, as well as the scurrilous accusation by Michael Avenatti client Julie Swetnick that Kavanaugh participated in gang rapes at high school parties. How can you get any more ruthless than unfounded accusations of gang rape?

Democrats did not lose the Kavanaugh fight because they were not ruthless enough. They lost because, as always, the left overreached. Their increasingly brazen and unsupported charges against Kavanaugh backfired, strengthening the GOP's case that Kavanaugh was the victim of a political hit job, and actually helping to secure his confirmation.

They also lost because of their disastrous decision last year to filibuster the nomination of Neil Gorsuch, a justice of impeccable qualification and temperament. If Democrats had kept their powder dry then, they would still have had the filibuster in place when Kavanaugh was nominated. As it stands, Republicans were barely able to confirm Kavanaugh; they likely would never have been able muster the votes to invoke the nuclear option to get him onto the court.

...Democrats have no one but themselves to blame for Kavanaugh's confirmation. Their strategic miscalculations, and embrace of what they once decried as the "politics of personal destruction," backfired. And the reverberations may not yet be over. Since Kavanaugh's hearings, the number of Republicans who say the November elections are "very important" has grown by 12 points to 80 percent -- closing the enthusiasm gap with Democrats. The attacks on Kavanaugh have awoken a sleeping giant.

It may not be enough to save the House, where Republicans are defending 25 seats in districts Hillary Clinton won. But the Kavanaugh fiasco may cost Democrats their chance to retake the Senate -- and with it the power to block future Trump judicial nominations. If so, it means their search-and-destroy mission against Kavanaugh may end up handing Trump the ability to get even more Supreme Court justices confirmed.

Democrats have also given Republicans reason to look past their frustrations with Trump's erratic behavior in office. Millions of Republicans put aside their misgivings and voted for Trump in 2016 for one reason: the Supreme Court. Now he has delivered. It has not escaped notice that he never once backed down in his support for Kavanaugh. Even at the lowest moments, there were no signs of wavering, no leaks from the White House that the president was quietly looking at potential replacements just in case Kavanaugh's nomination failed.

© Copyright Original Source

source
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Their takeaway? "We need to fight even dirtier next time."

Source: Marc Theissen

As Politico recently tweeted, "After failing to stop Kavanaugh's confirmation, Democrats wonder if it's time to be more ruthless."

More ruthless? There are a lot of reasons the effort to stop Kavanaugh failed, but a lack of ruthlessness is not one of them. Kavanaugh's opponents just tried to destroy a man without a shred of corroborating evidence. No tactic, no unfounded accusation, was too extreme.

Democrats demanded that the FBI investigate not just Christine Blasey Ford's uncorroborated accusations, but also the charge in the New Yorker's hit piece that Kavanaugh had exposed himself to a college classmate, Deborah Ramirez, as well as the scurrilous accusation by Michael Avenatti client Julie Swetnick that Kavanaugh participated in gang rapes at high school parties. How can you get any more ruthless than unfounded accusations of gang rape?

Democrats did not lose the Kavanaugh fight because they were not ruthless enough. They lost because, as always, the left overreached. Their increasingly brazen and unsupported charges against Kavanaugh backfired, strengthening the GOP's case that Kavanaugh was the victim of a political hit job, and actually helping to secure his confirmation.

They also lost because of their disastrous decision last year to filibuster the nomination of Neil Gorsuch, a justice of impeccable qualification and temperament. If Democrats had kept their powder dry then, they would still have had the filibuster in place when Kavanaugh was nominated. As it stands, Republicans were barely able to confirm Kavanaugh; they likely would never have been able muster the votes to invoke the nuclear option to get him onto the court.

...Democrats have no one but themselves to blame for Kavanaugh's confirmation. Their strategic miscalculations, and embrace of what they once decried as the "politics of personal destruction," backfired. And the reverberations may not yet be over. Since Kavanaugh's hearings, the number of Republicans who say the November elections are "very important" has grown by 12 points to 80 percent -- closing the enthusiasm gap with Democrats. The attacks on Kavanaugh have awoken a sleeping giant.

It may not be enough to save the House, where Republicans are defending 25 seats in districts Hillary Clinton won. But the Kavanaugh fiasco may cost Democrats their chance to retake the Senate -- and with it the power to block future Trump judicial nominations. If so, it means their search-and-destroy mission against Kavanaugh may end up handing Trump the ability to get even more Supreme Court justices confirmed.

Democrats have also given Republicans reason to look past their frustrations with Trump's erratic behavior in office. Millions of Republicans put aside their misgivings and voted for Trump in 2016 for one reason: the Supreme Court. Now he has delivered. It has not escaped notice that he never once backed down in his support for Kavanaugh. Even at the lowest moments, there were no signs of wavering, no leaks from the White House that the president was quietly looking at potential replacements just in case Kavanaugh's nomination failed.

© Copyright Original Source

source
    So shady political practices just shot the Democrats in the foot? And here I was starting to wonder if justice was a thing in this country any more... They miscalculated big time with Ford.
    I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

They are simply showing themselves for who they are.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        They are simply showing themselves for who they are.
        Hillary certainly did when she said that only when the Mafia oops Democrats regain their power should they stop the incivility.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
          Hillary certainly did when she said that only when the Mafia oops Democrats regain their power should they stop the incivility.
          Yes, but until then, it's war!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
            So shady political practices just shot the Democrats in the foot? And here I was starting to wonder if justice was a thing in this country any more... They miscalculated big time with Ford.
            It will be interesting to see how this computes at the ballot boxes.

Comment

The smear campaign against Kavanaugh has entrenched people on both sides of the debate, making compromise and cooperation a thing of the past. It is going to make politics in general an even worse thing than it already was. I've talked to several "fence setters" w/regard to Trump who now say they are pro-Trump because of the vitriol being spewed by many on the left. I think it has backfired big time for the Democrats.
              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Yes, but until then, it's war!
                and for the source of what Hillary said scroll down to the embedded clip from CNN in this article

sure sounds like a Mafia gang type threat to me. a call to arms to the democrats to keep the incivility going.

Comment

...Democrats have no one but themselves to blame for Kavanaugh's confirmation.

That's an odd statement. It makes it sound like Kavanaugh would not have been confirmed if it wasn't for Democrat interference, but in reality, Kavanaugh was coasting through the confirmation process and would have been confirmed without dispute if not for the Democrats and their disreputable tactics. The scary part is that their smear campaign came very close to succeeding, which I suspect is why they think that doubling down is their ticket to regaining power.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    ...Democrats have no one but themselves to blame for Kavanaugh's confirmation.

That's an odd statement. It makes it sound like Kavanaugh would not have been confirmed if it wasn't for Democrat interference, but in reality, Kavanaugh was coasting through the confirmation process and would have been confirmed without dispute if not for the Democrats and their disreputable tactics. The scary part is that their smear campaign came very close to succeeding, which I suspect is why they think that doubling down is their ticket to regaining power.
                    If the Democrats hadn't forced the Republicans to "go nuclear" just to get Gorsuch on the bench, they very well could've used the filibuster here and kept Kavanaugh off. So, not so odd in light of that.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Chilling commentary from Rand Paul:

“These are people that are unstable. We don’t want to encourage them,” said Paul. “We have to somehow ratchet it down and say we’re not encouraging that violence is ever OK.”

Paul went on to say he fears there will be an “assassination” as a result of the rhetoric coming from lawmakers like Booker and Waters.

“I really worry that someone is going to be killed and that those who are ratcheting up the conversation. They have to realize that they bear some responsibility if this elevates to violence,” he added.

https://www.breitbart.com/video/2018...-to-be-killed/

Comment

Chilling commentary from Rand Paul:

“These are people that are unstable. We don’t want to encourage them,” said Paul. “We have to somehow ratchet it down and say we’re not encouraging that violence is ever OK.”

Paul went on to say he fears there will be an “assassination” as a result of the rhetoric coming from lawmakers like Booker and Waters.

“I really worry that someone is going to be killed and that those who are ratcheting up the conversation. They have to realize that they bear some responsibility if this elevates to violence,” he added.

https://www.breitbart.com/video/2018...-to-be-killed/
                        There needs to be a bipartisan effort to tame things down - a couple of biggies on both sides who stand together and appeal for calm, and somebody needs to tell people like Waters and Booker to shut up.

Comment

There needs to be a bipartisan effort to tame things down - a couple of biggies on both sides who stand together and appeal for calm, and somebody needs to tell people like Waters and Booker to shut up.
                          Or vote them out of office!

I think Waters should be charged with inciting riots and violence.

There was a call to censure her and for her to resign. Wonder what happened to that?

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...all-censure-r/
                          Last edited by Sparko; 10-10-2018, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Or vote them out of office!

I think Waters should be charged with inciting riots and violence.

There was a call to censure her and for her to resign. Wonder what happened to that?

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...all-censure-r/
                            I think unless a riot actually breaks out at one of her rallies as she's speaking, charging her with incitement could be difficult.

Comment

I think unless a riot actually breaks out at one of her rallies as she's speaking, charging her with incitement could be difficult.
                              They are doing exactly what she told them to do. pretty clear circumstantial evidence. and just get one of the protestors to say they were only doing what she said as a defense when they get arrested...

Comment