Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Voter ID Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    On this point, isn't it possible that the REASON it comes up "election cycle after election cycle" is because somebody's trying to exploit it as voter suppression? I mean, we've cited sources - including the ND Sec of State - who claim that the 911 Addressing problem, and this issue - have been going on for years.

Nobody cares about it when it's not "election cycle". In fact, if the Dems were so worried about it, why do they wait til the last minute to protest? Why aren't they involved BETWEEN election cycles in helping people get prepared?
    As best I can tell - they are. However, the voterID laws tend to hit near an election cycle. Decisions to close polling places in poor areas tend to hit during an election cycle. Decisions to enforce "exact match" tend to occur during an election cycle. Decisions to exclude specific types of ID tend to happen just before an election cycle. It's hard to respond "between" to thing that happen just before the election itself.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Jim, this has been going on since 2013. Then only thing new is the SCOTUS decision (on which Kavanaugh did NOT vote, contrary to popular rumors) which even Snopes admits...

It’s important to note that, contrary to some news reports, the U.S. Supreme Court did not precisely “uphold” North Dakota’s voter ID laws on 9 October 2018.

The court did not issue any ruling on the constitutional or legal merits of H.B. 1369 itself (or 1332 and 1333, which remain on the statute books but are unenforced due to Hovland’s 2016 District Court injunction). Rather, the Supreme Court issued a very narrowly defined ruling on a specific legal question, leaving a lower court’s ruling in place by declining to reverse the Eighth Circuit’s stay of the U.S. District Court’s injunction covering the state of North Dakota’s enforcement of H.B. 1369.

Further....

It is true that many tribal members in North Dakota do not have residential street addresses and instead rely upon P.O. boxes, thus leaving them vulnerable to the restrictions implemented under H.B. 1369.

However, Secretary of State Jaeger has written to tribal leaders, outlining the process by which anyone without a street address can acquire one and then obtain written confirmation of the new address — either as a means of obtaining a new form of ID, or as supplemental documentation (as allowed under H.B. 1369) to be brought to a polling station on Election Day:
      If you encounter anyone who says to you that they do not have a residential street address to provide to either the [Department of Transport] or the tribal government to obtain an ID, please encourage them to reach out to the 911 Coordinator in the county in which their residence exists to start the simple process to have the address assigned.

The North Dakota Association of Counties maintains a list of all 53 County 911 Coordinators. A simple phone call to this individual can start this no charge process that can usually be completed in an hour or less when the individual can describe the location of the home. After the address is assigned, the office assigning it will provide a letter upon request that confirms this new address. This letter can be used either to obtain an ID or as supplemental documentation for voting purposes for those individuals whose ID includes a mailing address rather than a residential address.

While I certainly agree that laws should not "suddenly appear" just before the election cycle, that's now that happened here.
      That doesn't quite appear to be the case. We are constantly seeing changes in how things are done just before elections, and there is often an outcry about it. Generally with all sorts of accusations of foul play. And here we are again - this thread is about such a thing. Though some say its been that way, some say it's not hard to fix. The problem of course is that without a lot of work to educate the people affected, they will just end up finding out about the need to make the changes on election day when most likely it will be too late to make them. And that is why its a problem, why people get accused of (or may in fact be) conspiring to disenfranchise certain classes of voters.

In general, it is not hard to figure that if you change some critical element of the process but don't make a really big deal about chasing down the affected people, a large number of those people won't find out about it till election day and thus won't be able to vote. It doesn't really matter how easy it is to fix the problem unless it can be done at the polling place at the time of voting.

Consider the fellow that doesn't get the message and leaves work at 5 to vote and the polls close at 7. He gets there at 5:30 and founds out, whoops we changed things. This is what you need to do to vote ...

Is it reasonable to expect it can be fixed in the remaining 1.5 hours? Probably not.

Jim
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        So I'm going to close out my participation in this thread with the following observation.
        ...or not.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          ...or not.
          Well said...
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            The Attorney General following the law? I'm sure that's a foreign concept to you clowns, but...
            The law, you idiot, is what's in question. It's obvious to anyone with half a brain that this law is nothing other than another last minute attempt from Republican Kemp to try and steal his own election.

These voter registration efforts are racist at their core. They target only minorities, and they unashamedly admit it. They intentionally eliminated any whites from their registration effort and targeted minorities with the sole intention of getting the Dem elected. it isn't about getting everyone to vote - it's about getting everyone to vote for the Democrat.
            So, democrats targeting democrat minorities to register to vote is racist in your mind? Your an idiot BTC. By the way, 70% of the registrations put on hold by Kemp and his crooked cronies, were minorities, that means that 30% of them were white.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
              The law, you idiot, is what's in question. It's obvious to anyone with half a brain that this law is nothing other than another last minute attempt from Republican Kemp to try and steal his own election.

So, democrats targeting democrat minorities to register to vote is racist in your mind? Your an idiot BTC. By the way, 70% of the registrations put on hold by Kemp and his crooked cronies, were minorities, that means that 30% of them were white.
              Chortle.... you're too stupid to look up the facts. They are in this thread, asshat. The Attorney General's job is to defend the state's laws. His office does not have the authority to defy it.

As far as the registrations, the idiot registrars were the ones who flooded the Attorney General's office with the registrations JUST in time to accuse them of timing issues. They, like you, are pathetically hypocritical.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Chortle.... you're too stupid to look up the facts. They are in this thread, asshat. The Attorney General's job is to defend the state's laws. His office does not have the authority to defy it.

As far as the registrations, the idiot registrars were the ones who flooded the Attorney General's office with the registrations JUST in time to accuse them of timing issues. They, like you, are pathetically hypocritical.
                The group responsible has a history of turning in majorly screwed up registrations and hasn't learned from that. It's almost if they do it on purpose just so they get set aside in order to have something to protest about.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  The group responsible has a history of turning in majorly screwed up registrations and hasn't learned from that. It's almost if they do it on purpose just so they get set aside in order to have something to protest about.
                  Do you have some citations for this? It seems odd that anyone would intentionally try to get their vote set aside for an election they consider critical. It's rather like cutting off your nose to spite your face, especially given how little effect those protests actually have. I'd like to see some source material relevant to this claim.

Comment

Well as someone with half a brain, you would know.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                      Do you have some citations for this? It seems odd that anyone would intentionally try to get their vote set aside for an election they consider critical. It's rather like cutting off your nose to spite your face, especially given how little effect those protests actually have. I'd like to see some source material relevant to this claim.
                      the New Georgia Project, an organization founded by Kemp's opponent, Stacey Abrams, herself in 2014. Their intentional and repeated sloppiness is apparently well-known with local registration officials. But when you swamp the officials with difficult-to-make-out information, and you slow their validation efforts, you get to make impactful public statements like this:

“Whether this was an intentional decision to discriminate against minorities, I can’t say that for certain, but there is circumstantial evidence: It became known that large numbers of minorities were not getting out to the polls because of exact match,” Houk said.

When the New Georgia Project ramped up its voter registration drive before the 2014 election, it swamped local election officials with roughly 85,000 applications.

“Applications we received from these canvassers were difficult to process, missing critical information, (and) contained duplicate registration submitted within days of each other,” Muscogee County Elections Director Nancy Boren said Sept. 20 in testimony to the State Election Board. “Often it was five or more applications dated one or two days apart.”

Kemp’s spokesperson emphasized that the 53,000 would-be voters whose registrations were pending could still show up at a polling station on election day and vote as normal:
                      If you are on the pending list, you literally vote exactly the same way that every other person in Georgia that’s not on the pending list votes. In Georgia, you present your Photo ID at the polling precinct. It’s scanned. If you are on the pending list, this action moves you from pending to active. If you are already active, it re-affirms you are active.

https://politics.myajc.com/news/stat...Y0AjUQ8b9RgTN/
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

the New Georgia Project, an organization founded by Kemp's opponent, Stacey Abrams, herself in 2014. Their intentional and repeated sloppiness is apparently well-known with local registration officials. But when you swamp the officials with difficult-to-make-out information, and you slow their validation efforts, you get to make impactful public statements like this:

“Whether this was an intentional decision to discriminate against minorities, I can’t say that for certain, but there is circumstantial evidence: It became known that large numbers of minorities were not getting out to the polls because of exact match,” Houk said.

When the New Georgia Project ramped up its voter registration drive before the 2014 election, it swamped local election officials with roughly 85,000 applications.

“Applications we received from these canvassers were difficult to process, missing critical information, (and) contained duplicate registration submitted within days of each other,” Muscogee County Elections Director Nancy Boren said Sept. 20 in testimony to the State Election Board. “Often it was five or more applications dated one or two days apart.”

Kemp’s spokesperson emphasized that the 53,000 would-be voters whose registrations were pending could still show up at a polling station on election day and vote as normal:
                        If you are on the pending list, you literally vote exactly the same way that every other person in Georgia that’s not on the pending list votes. In Georgia, you present your Photo ID at the polling precinct. It’s scanned. If you are on the pending list, this action moves you from pending to active. If you are already active, it re-affirms you are active.

You're a pretty naive guy, aren't you BtC?

Comment

Nope. What about what I posted do you object to? facts don't care about your feelings, Jimmy.
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

ineffectual hand waving noted.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Nope. What about what I posted do you object to? facts don't care about your feelings, Jimmy.
                              What would you expect Kemp and republican officials to say: "Aw shucks, you caught us."

Comment

Even her Democrat opponents for Governor have questioned Abram's New Georgia Project. Stacey Evans pointed out that of some 86,000 registered by them in the past 22,000 were invalid.

Comment