Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Portland's Mayor Defends Non-intervention in Conflicts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portland's Mayor Defends Non-intervention in Conflicts

Portland mayor stands by decision to allow Antifa to block traffic, hassle motorists

Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler came under fire over a viral video showing Antifa protesters blocking traffic and harassing drivers, but he says he supports the decision by police to watch from a distance without getting involved.

“I was appalled by what I saw in the video, but I support the Portland Police Bureau’s decision not to intervene,” he said at a Friday press conference. “This whole incident will be investigated.”

The video posted by journalist Andy C. Ngo showed protesters, including members of Antifa and Black Lives Matter, blocking an intersection and attempting to direct traffic at while officers on motorcycle watched from a block away.

At one point, the activists chased down 74-year-old Kent Houser after he made a right turn against their wishes, pounding on his silver Lexus and breaking a window. The car sustained thousands of dollars in damage, he told the Oregonian.

Even so, Mr. Wheeler insisted that “motorists should feel completely safe coming into downtown Portland.”

and...

Bear spray, bloody brawls at Patriot Prayer 'law and order' march in Portland

Warning: This post contains graphic content

A demonstration billed as a march for "law and order" in the streets of Portland descended into chaos as rival political factions broke into bloody brawls downtown Saturday night.

Members of the right-wing group Patriot Prayer and their black-clad adversaries, known as antifa, used bear spray, bare fists and batons to thrash each other outside Kelly's Olympian, a popular bar on Southwest Washington Street.

The melee, which lasted more than a minute, ended when riot cops rushed in and fired pepper balls at the street fighters.
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 10-15-2018, 10:10 AM. Reason: Fixed Broken Link
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

"I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Portland mayor stands by decision to allow Antifa to block traffic, hassle motorists

Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler came under fire over a viral video showing Antifa protesters blocking traffic and harassing drivers, but he says he supports the decision by police to watch from a distance without getting involved.

“I was appalled by what I saw in the video, but I support the Portland Police Bureau’s decision not to intervene,” he said at a Friday press conference. “This whole incident will be investigated.”

The video posted by journalist Andy C. Ngo showed protesters, including members of Antifa and Black Lives Matter, blocking an intersection and attempting to direct traffic at while officers on motorcycle watched from a block away.

At one point, the activists chased down 74-year-old Kent Houser after he made a right turn against their wishes, pounding on his silver Lexus and breaking a window. The car sustained thousands of dollars in damage, he told the Oregonian.

Even so, Mr. Wheeler insisted that “motorists should feel completely safe coming into downtown Portland.”

and...

A demonstration billed as a march for "law and order" in the streets of Portland descended into chaos as rival political factions broke into bloody brawls downtown Saturday night.

Members of the right-wing group Patriot Prayer and their black-clad adversaries, known as antifa, used bear spray, bare fists and batons to thrash each other outside Kelly's Olympian, a popular bar on Southwest Washington Street.

The melee, which lasted more than a minute, ended when riot cops rushed in and fired pepper balls at the street fighters.
      The right to peaceful protest does not translate into a right to lawless anarchy. Shame on him for caving to them.

Jim
      Last edited by Cow Poke; 10-15-2018, 10:12 AM. Reason: Fixed Broken Link
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        The right to peaceful protest does not translate into a right to lawless anarchy. Shame on him for caving to them.

Jim
        Yet the Mayor assures us that "motorists should feel completely safe coming into downtown Portland".

antifa.jpg
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, Portland is nothing more than a slagheap these days. I don't go there unless I absolutely have to.
          I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
            Yeah, Portland is nothing more than a slagheap these days. I don't go there unless I absolutely have to.
            Would that be the place where there was a kind of a barricade in front of a Mosque, and the Muslim men were out there harassing passersby? I can't remember if that was Seattle or Portland, but I'm thinking Portland.

Comment

Would that be the place where there was a kind of a barricade in front of a Mosque, and the Muslim men were out there harassing passersby? I can't remember if that was Seattle or Portland, but I'm thinking Portland.
              Also Portland.
              I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

and...

Much like in Baltimore it sounds like the mayor here also wanted to give space to those "who wished to destroy."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Jim
                  The left has increasingly been placating what they obviously perceive as part of their base (antifa, occupy, BLM...)

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

How interesting that the reports in this thread depict the Patriot Prayer Law group as being "peaceful", and of course not mentioning anything about them marching with the alt-right white supremacist Proud Boys, and various militia groups.

It goes without saying that I don't support things that are illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                      How interesting that the reports in this thread depict the Patriot Prayer Law group as being "peaceful", and of course not mentioning anything about them marching with the alt-right white supremacist Proud Boys, and various militia groups.

I thought several of the reports were of them beating people with clubs!

I'll double check when I get back from taking my granddaughter to school, but my intention was to show both sides.

Comment

"Huge brawl just happened and police came in to firenless lethal rounds on people. Right-wingers were clubbing people w clubs outside of Kelly’s Olympian, way worse than NYC last night. proud Boys and Patriot prayer and Antifa just had a huge wild fight"

"Tiny started pummeling a dude and then more ran up to stomp him out. Portland police in riot gear then ran up"

"“I hunt Antifa cowards,” reads T-shirt of participant at Patriot Prayer rally in downtown Portland. I’m here. So are several known Proud Boys from the area. Will be sending updates as needed. "

These quotes are throughout the second link.

Not really sure where you're getting the 'depiction' that the Patriot Prayer Law group was "peaceful".

Seriously, Leon, did you read the articles? Or may just my quick summary.

Comment

"Huge brawl just happened and police came in to firenless lethal rounds on people. Right-wingers were clubbing people w clubs outside of Kelly’s Olympian, way worse than NYC last night. proud Boys and Patriot prayer and Antifa just had a huge wild fight"

"Tiny started pummeling a dude and then more ran up to stomp him out. Portland police in riot gear then ran up"

"“I hunt Antifa cowards,” reads T-shirt of participant at Patriot Prayer rally in downtown Portland. I’m here. So are several known Proud Boys from the area. Will be sending updates as needed. "

These quotes are throughout the second link.

Not really sure where you're getting the 'depiction' that the Patriot Prayer Law group was "peaceful".

Seriously, Leon, did you read the articles? Or may just my quick summary.
                          I admit to skimming through it a bit. My bad, I was on a coffeebreak... should have read more slowly. I thought the second quote of your was only referring to Antifa being violent.

I don't condone violence. Cow Poke you know that. But if a bunch of white supremacist hoodlums shows up, I have to admit that I won't get too morally insulted about some other group meeting them on the battle grounds.
                          Last edited by Leonhard; 10-15-2018, 07:46 AM.

Comment

I admit to skimming through it a bit. My bad, I've sure been misreading a lot of posts lately. I think was affected by other news reports that kept using the qualifiers "peaceful" together with that particular alt-right group. They are no more peaceful than the Antifa.

I don't condone violence. Cow Poke you know that. But if a bunch of white supremacist hoodlums shows up, I have to admit that I won't get too morally insulted about some other group meeting them on the battle grounds.
                            My emphasis, my friend, was on the Mayor's decision to support non-intervention. Reading more on this, however, he seems to be distancing himself from it as "supporting the decision of the police bureau".

A) Police BUREAU???? Are they trying to sound more important than they are?
                            2) Irony - the Police BUREAU is run by an OUTLAW!!!! (weak humor here - see below)

chief outlaw.jpg

ETA: Or maybe they call themselves a BUREAU because they're more into BUREAUCRACY than policing.

Comment

and...

Is it overly cynical of me to think that the best course in the second link would have been to let the fight finish and arrest the survivors?
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment