Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Warren calls Trumps bluff, proves native american heritage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Again, here is the actual quote:

"Let’s say I’m debating Pocahontas . . . we will say, ‘I will give you $1 million to your favorite charity, paid for by Trump, if you take the test and it shows you’re an Indian.'"
    The meaning was clear. "Three months ago, President Donald Trump offered to donate $1 million to charity if Elizabeth Warren, one of his potential 2020 rivals, took a DNA test proving her Native American heritage. Now Warren wants the president to pay up. The president does not appear to be in a hurry. Asked about the results of the DNA test Monday morning, Trump told reporters: "Who cares?" What a man. You Trump enablers are just as bad as lying Trump himself.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/15/eliz...ty-pledge.html

Trump should be happy to donate 1 million dollars to charity...perhaps to a Native American foundation...that would be appropriate, wouldn't it?

But, at the very least, he should offer an apology to Warren...you know like he did to Obama after his relentless "birther" campaign. Oh wait...
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      The meaning was clear. "Three months ago, President Donald Trump offered to donate $1 million to charity if Elizabeth Warren, one of his potential 2020 rivals, took a DNA test proving her Native American heritage. Now Warren wants the president to pay up. The president does not appear to be in a hurry. Asked about the results of the DNA test Monday morning, Trump told reporters: "Who cares?" What a man. You Trump enablers are just as bad as lying Trump himself.
      It is not surprising that you would produce somebody's summary of what Trump said - instead of what Trump actually said.

Again, what Trump ACTUALLY said was...

"Let’s say I’m debating Pocahontas . . . we will say, ‘I will give you $1 million to your favorite charity, paid for by Trump, if you take the test and it shows you’re an Indian.'"

That you found somebody else who misquoted Trump is no surprise at all.

Let's look at Trump's actual words - he said "and it shows you're an Indian".

Did the DNA results show that Warren was "an Indian"? No.

So, why should we take the word of an old white fart blogging on the internet over the Secretary of State of the Cherokee Nation, who said...

"A DNA test is useless to determine tribal citizenship. Current DNA tests do not even distinguish whether a person's ancestors were indigenous to North or South America. Sovereign tribal nations set their own legal requirements for citizenship, and while DNA tests can be used to determine lineage, such as paternity to an individual, it is not evidence for tribal affiliation. Using a DNA test to lay claim to any connection to the Cherokee Nation or any tribal nation, even vaguely, is inappropriate and wrong. It makes a mockery out of DNA tests and its legitimate uses while also dishonoring legitimate tribal governments and their citizens, whose ancestors are well documented and whose heritage is prove. Senator Warren is undermining tribal interests with her continued claims of tribal heritage."

- Cherokee Nation Secretary of State Chuck Hoskin, Jr.

Are you THAT racist?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/15/eliz...ty-pledge.html

Trump should be happy to donate 1 million dollars to charity...perhaps to a Native American foundation...that would be appropriate, wouldn't it?

But, at the very least, he should offer an apology to Warren...you know like he did to Obama after his relentless "birther" campaign. Oh wait...
        No, Warren hasn't shown she's an Indian. So she hasn't met the requirement Trump set forth. To be an Indian requires not just Indian dna, but to show which tribe the ancestor(s) belonged and to meet that tribes acceptance criteria. Many tribes requiremen's are much more stringent that 1/32 by inheritance, which Warren doesn't appear to meet.

So, she showed a legitimate claim to Indian descent, but did not show she was Indian by any formal definition. So Trump doesn't owe her anything at this point

Jim
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

It is not surprising that you would produce somebody's summary of what Trump said - instead of what Trump actually said.
          So funny. You actually think Trump's convoluted, inconsistent word-salads warrant parsing as to their exact, precise meaning.

Thump's intention was clear. And he has backtracked on his snarky boast to donate $1 million to a charity of Elizabeth Warren's choosing if she took a DNA Test and was shown to be of Indian heritage. She did and she was. Now he doesn't want to pay up. Typical loudmouth Trump, he's all talk.
          Last edited by Tassman; 10-16-2018, 02:29 AM.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            No, Warren hasn't shown she's an Indian. So she hasn't met the requirement Trump set forth. To be an Indian requires not just Indian dna, but to show which tribe the ancestor(s) belonged and to meet that tribes acceptance criteria. Many tribes requiremen's are much more stringent that 1/32 by inheritance, which Warren doesn't appear to meet.

So, she showed a legitimate claim to Indian descent, but did not show she was Indian by any formal definition. So Trump doesn't owe her anything at this point

Jim
            Warren never claimed to be an Indian. She claimed that family lore, as she heard it from her mother, was that she had Indian blood. And, as you acknowledge, her DNA test showed a legitimate claim to Indian descent. It would not even have been an issue if Trump hadn’t made it one with his typically offensive “Pocahontas” jibes. Just as Obama was virtually forced to produce his birth certificates to refute Trumps lying “birther” crap, so Warren had little option other than to get her DNA tested. Now Trump should pay up, but of course he won't.

Comment

That way he can alter what is said so it fits what he wants. Tass has a nasty habit of doing the same thing to quotes as well

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                So funny. You actually think Trump's convoluted, inconsistent word-salads warrant parsing as to their exact, precise meaning.

Thump's intention was clear. And he has backtracked on his snarky boast to donate $1 million to a charity of Elizabeth Warren's choosing if she took a DNA Test and was shown to be of Indian heritage. She did and she was. Now he doesn't want to pay up. Typical loudmouth Trump, he's all talk.
                Here's what Trump actually said:

“Let’s say I’m debating Pocahontas, right? I promise you I will do this. You know those little kits they sell on television for two dollars. I’m going to get one of those little kits. And in the middle of the debate, when she proclaims that she’s of Indian heritage, because her mother said she has high cheek bones. That’s her only evidence, that her mother said she had high cheek bones.

"We will take that little kit, and say . . . but we have to do it gently . . . because we’re in the Me Too Generation, so we have to be very gentle.

"And we will very gently take that kit, and we will slowly toss it, hoping it doesn’t hit her and injure her arm.

"And we will say, ‘I will give you a million dollars to your favorite charity, paid for by Trump, if you take the test and it shows you’re an Indian.

“And let’s see what she does. I have a feeling she will say no, but we’ll hold that for the debates..."

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ke-a-dna-test/

Trump was obviously speaking hypothetically and not issuing a formal challenge.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                  ...her DNA test showed a legitimate claim to Indian descent.
                  No it didn't. It showed certain markers that may or not be from an American Indian ancestor, and, in fact, she has fewer of those markers than the average white American.

In other words, what the test really showed is that Warren is whiter than white and has no business identifying as an Indian. Game over. Trump wins again.

Comment

Warren never claimed to be an Indian.
                    Really? Then perhaps you can explain her changing her ethnicity from "White" to "Native American" while she taught at either the University of Texas School of Law or University of Pennsylvania. From 1986 to 1995 Warren listed herself as a racial minority in the Association of American Law Schools (AALS) Directory of Law Teachers and later Harvard Law School identified Warren as their "first woman of color" instructor in response to criticisms about a lack of faculty diversity based upon her self-identification. Politifact stated

There is no dispute that Warren formally notified officials at the University of Pennsylvania and then Harvard claiming Native American heritage after she was hired.

but an investigation by the New England Historic Genealogical Society found no evidence to support Warren's claim.

She even published a recipe in the Native American cookbook call "Pow Wow Chow" (btw, the use of "pow wow" is considered culturally insensitive in such a manner because it denigrates the long, cultural significance of the pow wow).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Little Lizzie goes on an extended stream-of-consciousness Twitter meltdown after her DNA test conclusively proves that she's not Indian.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...-dna-disaster/

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Jim
                        It also seemed to be a hypothetical situation rather than an actual challenge.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                          Two hundred generations ago I was babylonian.
                          That's nothing! I am related to Noah hisself!

Comment

• Warren is as authentically Indian as Taco Bell is authentically Mexican.

Comment

• At best one of her great-great-great-great-great grand-parents was Indian. 6 generations. 1/64th or 1.5% Indian. and that is at the best. And the DNA just shows she has a gene or two in common with people from the Americas, including South and Central America so she could be part Mexican for all we know.

Not even close to being able to call herself a Native American Indian. Or to claim it in college. Or to win the bet with Trump.

Comment

• I love it. Just what I expected from the right wing hypocrites here. They just can't handle the truth. Warren never claimed to be an indian, she never claimed to have a certain amount of indian dna, she simply claimed that according to her family she had some. Trump challenged her on that claim, the claim that she made, no matter how Trump, and you his flock, want to characterize that challenge now. His claim was that she was lying, he implied that many times. Warren has proved him wrong, proved her understanding to be right, and it is time for the liar and chief to pay up. But of course we know that will never happen, I doubt Trump has ever donated to charity in his life, though I'm sure he's probably claimed to have on his tax returns. You guys are really making yourselves look like Trumps band of idiots! "I could shoot someone in the middle of fifth ave and not lose any support."

Comment