Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Warren calls Trumps bluff, proves native american heritage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    I love it. Just what I expected from the right wing hypocrites here. They just can't handle the truth. Warren never claimed to be an indian, she never claimed to have a certain amount of indian dna, she simply claimed that according to her family she had some. Trump challenged her on that claim, the claim that she made, no matter how Trump, and you his flock, want to characterize that challenge now. His claim was that she was lying, he implied that many times. Warren has proved him wrong, proved her understanding to be right, and it is time for the liar and chief to pay up. But of course we know that will never happen, I doubt Trump has ever donated to charity in his life, though I'm sure he's probably claimed to have on his tax returns. You guys are really making yourselves look like Trumps band of idiots! "I could shoot someone in the middle of fifth ave and not lose any support."
    Chief Trump--I like it.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      I don't know, it looks like a bad call to claim heritage and part of a minorities issues. Yawn. Its as bad as those Red Skins fans who claim their stupid mascot and football isn't culturally insensitive, because their great great grandfather's nephew (thrice removed) once had relations with Native American.
      They don't claim that.

Sports teams name themselves after Indians because they are fierce warriors, same reason they name themselves after fierce predators like wolverines. It was a compliment, not a slur.

Most Indians actually like having teams named after them.

Most of the ones complaining are millennials who find offense at everything anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Her new video bragging that she's vindicated may come back to haunt her.

ooooops
        where is the video?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          They don't claim that.

Sports teams name themselves after Indians because they are fierce warriors, same reason they name themselves after fierce predators like wolverines. It was a compliment, not a slur.

Most Indians actually like having teams named after them.

Most of the ones complaining are millennials who find offense at everything anyway.
          And then you have teams like the Golden Gophers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
            One difference between the terms you list here and Redskins is that Indians, Chiefs, Apaches, and Seminoles are all, in and of themselves, neutral terms. No one really cares if you use those terms generally (outside of maybe the people who insist you use "Native American" rather than "Indian" I suppose). Redskin, however, is an outright pejorative.

That said, and admittedly speaking as a non-Native American, I don't really have much of an issue with the team names outside of perhaps Redskins. Chief Wahoo really should be retired completely, though, that's just uncomfortable to look at.
            actually it was a self-identifier.

But where did the word "redskin" come from? Many dictionaries and history books say the term came about in reference to the Beothuk tribe of what is now Newfoundland, Canada. The Beothuk were said to paint their bodies with red ochre, leading white settlers to refer to them as "red men."

According to Smithsonian historian Ives Goddard, early historical records indicate that "Redskin" was used as a self-identifier by Native Americans to differentiate between the two races. Goddard found that the first use of the word "redskin" came in 1769, in negotiations between the Piankashaws and Col. John Wilkins. Throughout the 1800s, the word was frequently used by Native Americans as they negotiated with the French and later the Americans.

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...ory-of-redskin

If "redskin" is a pejorative, then so is White, or Black to refer to Caucasian and negroid races.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              Lamanites were the evil mark of Cain type. The Nephites were the Saltine-Americans
              You mean they were crackers?
              When I Survey....

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                Trump now owes one million dollars to charity. Trump said he would give $1 million to charity if Elizabeth Warren took a DNA test. Now she wants him to pay up. Will he, of course not because he's a loud-mouthed liar. We all know that.
                "if it shows she is an Indian." having less than 2% Indian ancestry doesn't make her Indian.

Comment

• If Trump needs to pay up, then may I conclude that the average American is "an Indian," given the similarity in percentages?

Comment

• found her video...

I notice she doesn't mention the percentage anywhere in the video.

Comment

I love it. Just what I expected from the right wing hypocrites here. They just can't handle the truth. Warren never claimed to be an indian, she never claimed to have a certain amount of indian dna, she simply claimed that according to her family she had some. Trump challenged her on that claim, the claim that she made, no matter how Trump, and you his flock, want to characterize that challenge now. His claim was that she was lying, he implied that many times. Warren has proved him wrong, proved her understanding to be right, and it is time for the liar and chief to pay up. But of course we know that will never happen, I doubt Trump has ever donated to charity in his life, though I'm sure he's probably claimed to have on his tax returns. You guys are really making yourselves look like Trumps band of idiots! "I could shoot someone in the middle of fifth ave and not lose any support."
                      In most of these 'exchanges', very few people are willing to own up to the fact there is 'grey' in the equation. I don't know the exact quotes Trump ran roughshod over, but it is simply in Trump's (lack of) character to twist what she said into something it was not. Likewise, if Trumps 'promise' to give 1 million if she was Indian was worded in such a way it could be interpreted as meaning 'authentically Indian' (which is was) the the actual context of Warren's statements will not be allowed to factor into the discussion, and shrewd fellow that he is, he's left himself a big out knowing it could be interpreted more than 1 way. And those following him will back him up. Nevertheless, he owes her nothing.

It seems to me that a cut down the middle would be to say that Warren has overstepped her connection to the American Indians, and angered them in the process. Indeed, that is why I've never even considered pursuing my own heritage in that arena. I'm that borderline 1/32. But I've never even spent a full day in an authentic American Indian household or reservation. It would be utter hypocrisy for me to try to gain some sort of advantage using that.

Likewise, Trump being the 'gentleman' that he is has mocked her over something that her family is probably very proud of, and that she was likely raised to be proud of. Trump and so many on the Trump bandwagon find that mocking seat very comfortable. If nothing else, it appears that Trumps legacy will include institutionalized mockery of those different in thought or appearance, and that that part of who he is has found a massive new home in the percent that would support him to the end, even where one would expect it to be roundly rejected - the Christian community.

So think about it. We have the Democrats cuddling up to Antifa and calling for violence against republicans. We have republicans cuddling up to white nationalist and mocking directly or indirectly anything not WASP. People on both sides accosting politicians in public places or kicking them out of Restaurants. And here we are on Theology Web a bunch of Christians and non-Christians feeding the fire, pushing the divide, mocking,'spitting at', and demeaning each other day after day in the name of 'dscussion', growing the legacy of destructive words deeds and actions that has existed and grown for quote some time, but which Trump has latched onto and fed with gasoline to fuel his own success.

[Queue MM/Pix/etc in their chorus of disdain for the above lament at the loss of decency and the growing push for violent and abusive actions on both sides]

Jim
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                        ...We have republicans cuddling up to white nationalist and mocking directly or indirectly anything not WASP...
                        What? Where on earth do you see that?
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• I think Trump's "bet" (hypothetical or not) was dumb.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            "if it shows she is an Indian." having less than 2% Indian ancestry doesn't make her Indian.
                            She never said she was an indian according to the % of Indian dna she had, she simply said according to her family she had native american dna and she simply proved you idiots to be wrong. Changing the argument simply exposes you Trumpsters for the phonies you are. Of course, ya'll know that already, don't you!

Comment

She never said she was an indian according to the % of Indian dna she had, she simply said according to her family she had native american dna and she simply proved you idiots to be wrong. Changing the argument simply exposes you Trumpsters for the phonies you are. Of course, ya'll know that already, don't you!
                              She actually claimed to BE a Native American in college. See rogue's previous post:

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Really? Then perhaps you can explain her changing her ethnicity from "White" to "Native American" while she taught at either the University of Texas School of Law or University of Pennsylvania. From 1986 to 1995 Warren listed herself as a racial minority in the Association of American Law Schools (AALS) Directory of Law Teachers and later Harvard Law School identified Warren as their "first woman of color" instructor in response to criticisms about a lack of faculty diversity based upon her self-identification. Politifact stated

There is no dispute that Warren formally notified officials at the University of Pennsylvania and then Harvard claiming Native American heritage after she was hired.

but an investigation by the New England Historic Genealogical Society found no evidence to support Warren's claim.

She even published a recipe in the Native American cookbook call "Pow Wow Chow" (btw, the use of "pow wow" is considered culturally insensitive in such a manner because it denigrates the long, cultural significance of the pow wow).

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                                Warren never claimed to be an indian...
                                Yes she did.

Source: Voters Shrug at Revelations of Ethnic Claim in Senate Race

(2012) The facts, as they have dribbled out, are these: Ms. Warren has in the past claimed an American Indian lineage, though she has no tangible proof of it. A genealogist who initially said he had discovered that she might be one thirty-second Cherokee subsequently said he could not locate the original documents.

She listed herself in a legal directory in the 1980s and ’90s as a minority in what critics say was an attempt to advance her academic career. In 1996, a Harvard official described her to The Harvard Crimson as a Native American. A Fordham University law review article in 1997 quoted that same official as saying she was Harvard’s “first woman of color.” In 2005, a decade after she left the University of Pennsylvania, it listed her as one of eight “minorities” who had won a particular award.

Ms. Warren has said she learned through “family lore” that she was descended from the Cherokee and Delaware tribes. She has said she listed herself in the legal directory as a minority in order to meet people like herself, though the listing did not specify her ethnicity. She has said she was unaware that Harvard and other colleges had put her forth as a diversity hire.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/24/u...ay-voters.html

© Copyright Original Source

Source: Elizabeth Warren Repeats Her False Claims of Native American Ancestry in New Book

(2014) Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) repeats her false claims of Native American ancestry in her new book, A Fighting Chance, which is scheduled for release next Tuesday.

“As a kid, I had learned about my Native American background the same way every kid learns about who they are: from family,” Senator Warren writes in an excerpt published Wednesday in the Boston Globe.

Senator Warren then repeats a line she used often in her 2012 Senate campaign, memorialized in a September 2012 television commercial, writing “I never questioned my family’s stories or asked my parents for proof or documentation. What kid would?”

“Knowing who you are is one thing, and proving who you are is another,” Warren writes.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...y-in-New-Book/

That "family lore" apparently includes claims (lies?) by her parents that her racist grandparents forced her father and mother to elope because they didn't approve of her father marrying a woman of Cherokee descent. However, public records show that her extended family is white and suggest that her parents had a traditional wedding ceremony in a Methodist church.

So not only do official public records and genealogies not support Warren's claims, but now we have scientific proof that at best, she's no more Indian than the average white American of European descent, and in fact, she's likely even whiter than that. In other words, Jimmy, it's entirely possible that you have more Indian DNA in your blood than Warren does.

Curiously, it seems that Warren's family history does intersect with the Cherokee Nation when one of her ancestors participated in the Trail of Tears, not as an Indian but as one of their captors!

Source: Elizabeth Warren Ancestor Rounded Up Cherokees For Trail of Tears

Ms. Warren’s great-great-great grandfather, was apparently a member of the Tennessee Militia who rounded up Cherokees from their family homes in the Southeastern United States and herded them into government-built stockades in what was then called Ross’s Landing (now Chattanooga), Tennessee–the point of origin for the horrific Trail of Tears, which began in January, 1837.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...rail-of-tears/

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment