Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Warren calls Trumps bluff, proves native american heritage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
    Technically, the 'bet' by Trump was to prove that she was 'Indian', which was odd as that was never the original claim to begin with, as you rightly mention. Not sure why his wording is being jumped on as a good thing- at the least it shows an inability to listen and understand other peoples statements.
    It wasn't actually a bet, either, but Warren took up Trump's supposed challenge anyway and then acted like she had somehow been vindicated when the test showed she's one of the whitest people in America. It was supposed to be her big moment, but she was so humiliated that I don't think she even bothered to do a single TV interview.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
      Technically, the 'bet' by Trump was to prove that she was 'Indian', which was odd as that was never the original claim to begin with, as you rightly mention. Not sure why his wording is being jumped on as a good thing- at the least it shows an inability to listen and understand other peoples statements.
      Interesting that Warren would never have "corrected" Trump in this but rather after repeatedly declaring she wouldn't take a DNA test has one done in secret (sounds like she wasn't all that confident in her "high cheekbones" and family lore) then made a big announcement when the results show she is something like 1/1064th Native American (actually probably Hispanic rather than Cherokee or Delaware). This means that she has less than half the Native American DNA that your typical white American of European descent has. The same is true with DNA from African origin. IOW, Warren is among the whitest of white Americans

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Just to remind y'all that 1/1064 is 0.00093% or something like 1/32 of 1/32. The woman could get a sunburn just from standing in front of a TV.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          So?

False.

She made it an issue when she changed her mind about taking the test, and announcing the results in a campaign-like video that has AUTHENTIC Native Americans quite unhappy. She's a fraud.

But she did it to "help rebuild trust in government".
          I don't think she's a fraud, though I think she was naive and wrong to claim minority status. Fraud would imply a significant personal knowledge her claim was not legit, and she has not acted like that is the case and the evidence would indicate that is not the case.

I have similar stories. We have researched it and know the name of the ancestor, where she was from, when she was born, married and when she died. Assuming that ancestor was full blooded Indian, I am 1/32. But we've never pushed to see if she was registered in a way that would make the claim legit relative to the interests of a Tribal nation, and I could see myself in younger years saying "yeah, one of my great-great-great grandma's was full blooded Indian". I've heard the stories. Including one from a great aunt of pure or closer to pure ancestry having to kill a man in a Saloon. So off the cuff here or there I could see myself making of few statements about my heritage (sort of like I'm doing here ). Now Warren took it a step further. She used it to get minority status. I never tried that (though some people suggested I might be able to). Had I followed their advice, I could have wound up right where Warren is. But it always seemed at best a stretch and I just wasn't interested in making such a marginal claim.

However, to me, the one who is truly out of line is Trump. Because he is acting just like every playground bully I've ever known. He takes something that is special to a person and slams it in their face. Over and over again. Needling them. Goading them. And Warren was foolish enough, and proud enough of what she believes to be a legitimate heritage of her own, to be goaded into trying to prove it. Not understanding that when one is dealing with a schoolyard bully, the only real way to beat them is to knock them squarely Edited by a Moderator in front of every one that they've managed to bully over the years, shaming them completely. She should have realized what she had in that test would come nowhere near that kind of a shaming, knockout blow and let it be.

But Trump, bully that he is, now can get a few more jollies out of mocking her further. It is 'her own fault' in a sense. But I truly despise bullies in any form they come. From Presidents down to obnoxious little internet trolls* that happen to be clever enough to do the same thing (NOT you CP ;). So I'm on her side for that reason. Had Trump not been such an obnoxious Edited by a Moderator about it, I'd be more on the side of the people that have called her out on it. She really has no legitimate right to have claimed minority status as an American Indian. But I refuse to join Trump in his bullying lest I become what I truly despise. And I'd encourage others not to as well. We can agree she was out of line w/o lowering ourselves to Trump's level in terms of how we discuss what has happened.

Jim

* When I make indirect references like this, It is not because I am afraid to name the potential targets of my statement. It is because I want to give them the possibility of 'saving face' if in fact their conscience reminds them they really don't want to be that sort of a person.

Moderated By: QuantaFille

Please watch your language.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
          Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by QuantaFille; 10-22-2018, 07:32 PM.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            I don't think she's a fraud, though I think she was naive and wrong to claim minority status. Fraud would imply a significant personal knowledge her claim was not legit, and she has not acted like that is the case and the evidence would indicate that is not the case.
            Come on, she had to know something was up when every genealogical record going back for generations revealed a lily white family tree. Even her own parents' claims of having to elope was easy to disprove with minimal research. She's right to say that a child wouldn't question her own family's stories, but that doesn't excuse her as an adult. She really should have known better, yet she persisted in her claims, and now she's pushed it past the breaking point and left herself humiliated.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Come on, she had to know something was up when every genealogical record going back for generations revealed a lily white family tree. Even her own parents' claims of having to elope was easy to disprove with minimal research. She's right to say that a child wouldn't question her own family's stories, but that doesn't excuse her as an adult. She really should have known better, yet she persisted in her claims, and now she's pushed it past the breaking point and left herself humiliated.
              When the New England Historic Genealogical Society found no evidence to support her claim that should have raised doubts. The fact she claimed that her "Pow Wow Chow" and other recipes were supposedly handed down from generation to generation but were lifted from modern sources reveals she was hardly naïve.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                So at best, Warren was naively perpetuating a family lie.
                It's not a lie if they believe it, birdbrain. Or are you perpetuating a lie when disseminating your biblical beliefs?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  It's not a lie if they believe it, birdbrain. Or are you perpetuating a lie when disseminating your biblical beliefs?
                  Poor Jimmy, stuck making digs at Christians to avoid the fact his idol is a liar.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                    Poor Jimmy, stuck making digs at Christians to avoid the fact his idol is a liar.
                    Just pointing out the error in his logic there, Lilpix. Do you understand logic?

Comment

Just pointing out the error in his logic there, Lilpix. Do you understand logic?
                      Too bad the evidence doesn’t fit the narrative, huh?
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

It's not a lie if they believe it, birdbrain.
                        Wow. This reasoning explains much.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Wow. This reasoning explains much.
                          Yeah, it explains a fact, dopey. She's not lying if she believes it, or don't you understand that?

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            Perhaps "fraud" is too strong, but I think she certainly blew it when she decided to do a campaign-style video revealing the "proof" that she was right. Even (reasonable) fellow Democrats wish she would have just left that alone.

And, I'll concur that Trump can be a real jackass, and I often wish he'd just shut up. She lowered herself to his level.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Perhaps "fraud" is too strong, but I think she certainly blew it when she decided to do a campaign-style video revealing the "proof" that she was right. Even (reasonable) fellow Democrats wish she would have just left that alone.

And, I'll concur that Trump can be a real jackass, and I often wish he'd just shut up. She lowered herself to his level.
                              We agree! One has to wonder where her advisers where with this one. Though here's the thing. Why would she not understand that what she showed would not be enough to quiet the controversy? Did they not talk to the Indian nation representatives to find out what would be legit? Was she just stubbornly proud and wouldn't listen to anyone (this would point to the sincerity of her belief in her heritage - and a lot of naivete). Someone trying to game the system would know to just shut up about it. But as a senator, she should have had the resources to be able to research and know that what she was doing was not going to accomplish anything. That part is confusing to me.

Jim
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Yeah, it explains a fact, dopey. She's not lying if she believes it, or don't you understand that?
                                The fact that she had her DNA tested in secret after publicly declining to do so certainly suggests that she had some doubts.

Comment