Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Warren calls Trumps bluff, proves native american heritage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm curious what my kids would show since there is documented proof that one of my wife's great grandparent was 100% Indian.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      From earlier in the thread...
      There were also several groups including news organizations that investigated her claim, with at least a few seeking to help her substantiate the claim, but none could find a scintilla of evidence to support it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Tassman, there is a similar story in my family that my great-great grandmother was Cherokee. There are similar stories in many families.
        There have been rumors that there is some "Plains Indian" (Lakota, Dakota, Sioux...) blood on my maternal grandmother's side of the family. My grandmother even had what appeared to be a classic example of the nose often seen in this group. But I have enough sense not to run with these stories that have no evidence to back them in an attempt to advance myself by claiming minority status. In fact I wouldn't do so even if I did have evidence.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yes, because it's not like the phrase "chink in the armor" has an historical meaning that has nothing to do with racism.
          Like I said - I have no problem with the phrase. But when you combine the phrase with a Chinese man, you are opening yourself to the kind of backlash that happened. You can wish it weren't so all you want, but it is - so ignoring it is an exercise in folly.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Although with the standard you've set, white people can scream "That's racist!" any time someone uses the term "whitewash" to refer to the actions of a white person.
          "White" is not a term that has historically been used as a racial pejorative. Chink is. I have n problem with the expression "spic and span" either, but I would be careful about using it in reference to a Spanish-speaking person from Latin America, South America, or the Caribbean. I'm careful about not using it in the classroom when I have people of that heritage present, for fear of creating an unnecessary offense. If one of my teachers used the term in a classroom and the customer complained, I'd call it to the attention of the facilitator. If they did it again and the customer complained, I'd fire them (employee) or stop using them (contractors). It has nothing to do with whether or not I agree with the claim that it's racially offensive. It has everything to do with the fact that I run a business and I cannot afford to lose clients because people are not careful with their language.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            Because the phrase is seen by Asians as racist.
            Your brush is too broad. The phrase is seen by SOME people of Chinese descent as racist - for obvious reasons. I'm sure there are some Chinese people who see 'chink in the armor" as nothing more than a metaphor related to medieval armor. But as a business person - why take the chance on offense? I would also not take a chance on "spin and span" in a room with a Latino person present. If one of my employees used the term in the classroom and the customer complained, I'd speak to my employee about it. If they did it again, I'd fire them. I wouldn't fire them because they're being racist - I'd fire them because they're hurting my business.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
              Like I said - I have no problem with the phrase. But when you combine the phrase with a Chinese man, you are opening yourself to the kind of backlash that happened. You can wish it weren't so all you want, but it is - so ignoring it is an exercise in folly.
              I'm well aware of the irrational hyper-sensitivity of the left.

Comment

She claimed to have indian ancestors as recently as her great grand parent. The test showed IF she had native DNA it was hundreds of years ago, 1024th Indian. 10 generations ago at best. That is nothing. Just about every white person in America has that much or more Native American in them.
                Whatever the story it is like most of us in that we learned of our heritage and family history through conversations with grandparents, parents, and aunts and uncles. It may be factually incorrect, but that is beside the point. Family lore is generally not based upon research or scholarship but through 'word of mouth' laced with a touch of romanticism.
                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

why take the chance on offense?
                  That is the real problem right there. For some reason, today people think that stopping "offense" is the pinnacle of morality. It's not. Nobody has a right NOT to be offended. And being offended is something a person chooses to be, not something someone does to someone. People can choose to be offended by someone holding a door open for them, or not. People can choose to be offended by me eating a hamburger, or not. People can choose to be offended by a slang term, or not. It is up to them. They have the power in the situation. And a lot of liberals use that power to claim victimhood as a hammer against those they don't like.

There is no right not be be offended. In fact, the first amendment is there precisely to allow and protect potentially offensive speech.

Comment

That is the real problem right there. For some reason, today people think that stopping "offense" is the pinnacle of morality. It's not. Nobody has a right NOT to be offended. And being offended is something a person chooses to be, not something someone does to someone. People can choose to be offended by someone holding a door open for them, or not. People can choose to be offended by me eating a hamburger, or not. People can choose to be offended by a slang term, or not. It is up to them. They have the power in the situation. And a lot of liberals use that power to claim victimhood as a hammer against those they don't like.

There is no right not be be offended. In fact, the first amendment is there precisely to allow and protect potentially offensive speech.
                    I used to know a Spanish fellow who told me a story about him and his family sitting down to eat at a restaurant. A white man nearby announced to his table in a mock whisper, "I wish those spics wouldn't sit so close!" So my friend smiled, said, "I hope you gentlemen have a lovely day," and proceeded to enjoy his meal with his family while the other table sat in uncomfortable silence. It's like King Solomon said, "A kind answer turns away wrath."

Comment

I'm well aware of the irrational hyper-sensitivity of the left.
                      There's that "broad brush" again...

CP - please take note. It's not just a habit I sometimes slip into. And my guess is no one is going to acknowledge they are painting with too broad a brush...

Comment

That is the real problem right there. For some reason, today people think that stopping "offense" is the pinnacle of morality. It's not.
                        So first - WAY too broad a brush. Second - when did I say anything about morality? (well - in this thread, anyway )

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Nobody has a right NOT to be offended. And being offended is something a person chooses to be, not something someone does to someone. People can choose to be offended by someone holding a door open for them, or not. People can choose to be offended by me eating a hamburger, or not. People can choose to be offended by a slang term, or not. It is up to them. They have the power in the situation.
                        I agree with all of these statements (I also think that people can choose to behave offensively).

And a lot of liberals use that power to claim victimhood as a hammer against those they don't like.
                        And a lot of conservatives and people on the right use that reality to wave away many things that actually are inappropriate, offensive, and we should not be tolerating in our society.

Yes, it is. And none of this post of yours has anything to do with anything I have said. This is not a first amendment issue (which is about the government - not about personal conversations or business exchanges). This is not a morality issue. This is not a "I'm right and they are wrong" issue. What I was discussing was the ESPN choice and a business decision. If you elect to run a business, and ignore what may offend your clients, you are free to do so. Personally, I think it is a foolish decision. Without care to what the client does and does not find offensive, you will quickly find yourself with few clients. So I stand behind my position: if I had a teacher on staff using that kind of language, and the client objected, I would have a conversation with the teacher in question. If they persisted in doing it and I received additional complaints, I would fire the teacher. A teacher's job is to teach. You cannot teach if the students in the room are caught up in "reactions" to your choice of words. If you're not willing to adjust your words to avoid the reaction, then you can't teach for me because you are not being an effective teacher. End of story, IMO.

Comment

I used to know a Spanish fellow who told me a story about him and his family sitting down to eat at a restaurant. A white man nearby announced to his table in a mock whisper, "I wish those spics wouldn't sit so close!" So my friend smiled, said, "I hope you gentlemen have a lovely day," and proceeded to enjoy his meal with his family while the other table sat in uncomfortable silence. It's like King Solomon said, "A kind answer turns away wrath."
                          So, I have to admit that this made me snort my coffee up my nose. Not so much the philosophy, mind you. I agree 100% with that. Rather, that you seem to be quoting this with some degree of admiration, when it is exactly the opposite of how you comport yourself - at least in this venue.

Comment

There's that "broad brush" again...
                            Well, when the brush fits...

Comment

Well, when the brush fits...
                              As predicted...

Comment

So, I have to admit that this made me snort my coffee up my nose. Not so much the philosophy, mind you. I agree 100% with that. Rather, that you seem to be quoting this with some degree of admiration, when it is exactly the opposite of how you comport yourself - at least in this venue.
                                Speaking of painting with a broad brush...

There are times you should not answer a fool according to his folly, and other times you should; the wisdom is in knowing the difference. This being a venue of public debate, a blunt answer that exposes the folly of one's corporate enemies is often the most appropriate. In one on one interactions, I employ a different approach.

Comment