Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Corinthian Assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corinthian Assembly

What should be done then, my friends? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up. If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn; and let one interpret. But if there is no one to interpret, let them be silent in church and speak to themselves and to God. Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said. If a revelation is made to someone else sitting nearby, let the first person be silent. For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged. And the spirits of prophets are subject to the prophets, for God is a God not of disorder but of peace....So, my friends, be eager to prophecy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues; but all things should be done decently and in order. (1 Cor. 14:26-32;39-40).

Does anyone have experience with this primitive church model displayed in the Corinthian church? The liberty and free expression via the promptings of the indwelling Holy Spirit was of significant importance in this nascent church; indeed, each member of this body of believers was encouraged to participate and exercise their gifts in spontaneous yet orderly fashion.

I had a good friend who was a pastor of a variant of an Assembly of God Church, and he used that model on Sunday evenings.

He told me that the hardest part of his job was to allow the freedom of the Holy Spirit, but constrain the nuts that this environment attracted. He was being quite serious - it takes great discernment, and quite a bit of balance. He had a crew of men who would "guide" people out who got out of hand.

He used, as an example, several times where somebody would "give a word in tongues", then proceed to interpret their own "prophecy". He would nod to his "armor bearers", and they would guide that person out the door.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

IIRC the Vineyard Movement uses this extensively. It's been a while since I went to one of their services, though.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        IIRC the Vineyard Movement uses this extensively. It's been a while since I went to one of their services, though.
        I was going to say that this does sound like the Vineyard way of "doing church," as I believe they call it.

I've been wanting to visit a Vineyard, but there are none within convenient driving distance.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

The Vineyards I've been to have a fairly traditional service, with a worship set, then a message. The Vineyard I now attend then has an open mic after the message, where people are encouraged to share any words of knowledge they may have, about people there, to encourage the people concerned to come up for prayer.

I think the old Quakers were about as close to the model Scrawly quotes as anyone I have heard of.

Blessings,
          Lee
          "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
            The Vineyards I've been to have a fairly traditional service, with a worship set, then a message. The Vineyard I now attend then has an open mic after the message, where people are encouraged to share any words of knowledge they may have, about people there, to encourage the people concerned to come up for prayer.

I think the old Quakers were about as close to the model Scrawly quotes as anyone I have heard of.

Blessings,
            Lee
            Well, given the example of a Pauline service in Acts (where a guy fell out a window), I don't think the general service was necessarily as free-form as the OP makes out.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
              I think they do allow some variability. A lady from my high school graduating class is a Vineyard pastor over in OH. I may ask her.

That makes sense. Wimber had a Quaker background, IIRC.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Well, given the example of a Pauline service in Acts (where a guy fell out a window), I don't think the general service was necessarily as free-form as the OP makes out.
                I wonder whether there was any "general" service. I suspect a good deal of liberty and flexibility.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  I had a good friend who was a pastor of a variant of an Assembly of God Church, and he used that model on Sunday evenings.

He told me that the hardest part of his job was to allow the freedom of the Holy Spirit, but constrain the nuts that this environment attracted. He was being quite serious - it takes great discernment, and quite a bit of balance. He had a crew of men who would "guide" people out who got out of hand.

He used, as an example, several times where somebody would "give a word in tongues", then proceed to interpret their own "prophecy". He would nod to his "armor bearers", and they would guide that person out the door.
                  Bless your friend's labor of love in the Lord. Yes these practices ought to be done in tandem with leadership and so forth to ensure orderliness.

Comment

Does anyone know if brother Craig Keener and brother Michael Brown appropriate this model in their churches (being in the charismatic stream of things)?

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                      I wonder whether there was any "general" service. I suspect a good deal of liberty and flexibility.
                      If the service grew organically out of the syngogue service, which seems to me rather likely given even Paul's emphasis on starting there, then there certainly would have been at least some sort of structure.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                        Bless your friend's labor of love in the Lord. Yes these practices ought to be done in tandem with leadership and so forth to ensure orderliness.
                        OK, time for a story....

when I was young, first preaching, I was invited to preach at an African-American congregation's "building dedication". This is pretty much an all day event, multiple preachers, several meals....

As I was preaching, a woman jumped up and started speaking in tongues very loudly, and it startled me, as that was the first time I had seen this in Church. I just froze for a minute, and the African-American pastor - a good friend (he was about 5 foot 20, 350 lbs) had been seated in a bench near the pulpit. He got up and came over to me, gently moved me aside from the pulpit, and nodded to two of his men at the back door. They got up, gently took this lady by the elbows and guided her out the back door, still dancing and speaking in tongues.

When they had her outside of the auditorium, the pastor said something very profound that I'll never forget. He said, in a purposeful Negro dialect (probably for my benefit) "The Holy Spirit don't NEVER interrupt Himself".

He looked at me and said, "get back to preachin' brother".

I have to admit, I was still somewhat discombobulated, trying to remember where I was.

He put his big pointer finger down on my bible and said, "You were RIGHT here!"

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                          Does anyone know if brother Craig Keener and brother Michael Brown appropriate this model in their churches (being in the charismatic stream of things)?
                          Keener attends a Vineyard in KY. I'm not sure exactly what are the practices of that particular branch.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

I attend a Vineyard Church. The services are formally structured - 30 minutes of music, a 45-50 minute sermon, invitation, and Communion. I have never seen a deviation from the schedule, and there is no "audience participation".

Sadly, I can't join the church because they require inerrancy and eternal torment. Oddly, during the membership meeting where I found this out, they said "we like John Stott!" John Stott held to neither inerrancy nor eternal torment.
                            Last edited by KingsGambit; 10-15-2018, 08:29 PM.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              OK, time for a story....

when I was young, first preaching, I was invited to preach at an African-American congregation's "building dedication". This is pretty much an all day event, multiple preachers, several meals....

As I was preaching, a woman jumped up and started speaking in tongues very loudly, and it startled me, as that was the first time I had seen this in Church. I just froze for a minute, and the African-American pastor - a good friend (he was about 5 foot 20, 350 lbs) had been seated in a bench near the pulpit. He got up and came over to me, gently moved me aside from the pulpit, and nodded to two of his men at the back door. They got up, gently took this lady by the elbows and guided her out the back door, still dancing and speaking in tongues.

When they had her outside of the auditorium, the pastor said something very profound that I'll never forget. He said, in a purposeful Negro dialect (probably for my benefit) "The Holy Spirit don't NEVER interrupt Himself".

He looked at me and said, "get back to preachin' brother".

I have to admit, I was still somewhat discombobulated, trying to remember where I was.

He put his big pointer finger down on my bible and said, "You were RIGHT here!"

I believe this is now my second time reading this story, not that I'm complaining though

Comment