Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

We Must Stop Global Warming NOW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    It means that man can't destroy the earth by using fossil fuels or hairspray. It means that God will sustain His creation until He decides to destroy it Himself.
    But the claim of man-made climate change isn't that it will destroy the Earth. It's that it'll screw up the Earth dramatically and therefore cause a lot of suffering, so it should be avoided. I don't see any contradiction between it and the verse you cited.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
      But the claim of man-made climate change isn't that it will destroy the Earth. It's that it'll screw up the Earth dramatically and therefore cause a lot of suffering, so it should be avoided. I don't see any contradiction between it and the verse you cited.
      There are a million other things that need avoiding, too, that cause a lot of suffering of people. Like earthquakes and volcanoes and tsunamis, etc. But man can't do a darn thing about them.

The climate may be changing, but to say it's caused by man is ridiculous and is now a religion unto itself. 50 or 100 years from now it will be changing the other way and will still "be man's fault". Unless the Lord returns before then, and everybody will have worse things to worry about.

I am done in this thread. It's tiresome to keep repeating myself and getting the same response from unbelievers.

You are not one of those, but I am tired nonetheless.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        I don't believe science is always right. And I believe that often the evidence is skewed to say what they want you and other gullible people to believe for their own benefit.
        Science is not always right, but when there’s a 97% consensus by climate scientists and the consequences are so drastic if they’re right, then it behooves us to listen to them. Scientific evidence for warming of the climate system is unequivocal.

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

Why would I believe scientific nonsense? Scientists lie and change their stories.
        Why would they do that?

God doesn't.
        There is no substantive reason to believe in gods. None of the alleged divinities in human history have been shown to exist.

And many, many scientists believe that AGW is not a settled science. But they are forced out of jobs and ridiculed by people like you.
        97% of climate scientists DO believe global warming is unequivocal. Many of the tiny minority that don't are paid for by interest groups such as the coal industry.

Science has no more meaning in my mind than God's word has in yours. You believe in the myth of AGW with no more evidence than the so-called scientists who claimed 40 or so years ago that the world would be so crowded with people that we'd only have a square foot each to stand on. I guess that's still true, huh?
        The scientific contribution to civilisation includes such benefits to our lives as computers, cell phones, TV...all electronic devices..

Plus science has extended our life-spans and improved general health with medicines, antibiotics, medical procedures, medical knowledge, and orthopedic as well as surgical techniques. Not to mention the advancement of agriculture, farming techniques and animal husbandry!

As well science has advanced our knowledge to an enormous degree with the with the development of scientific theories such as Electromagnetism, Quantum Mechanics, Gravity and Evolution...all of which greatly advance the body of knowledge and allow for prediction to further advanced knowledge.

And into the future six exponential growing technologies are under development, namely: Artificial Intelligence and Robotics, Nanotechnology, Biotechnology and Bioinformatics, Medicine and Human-Machine Interfaces, Networks & Computing Systems, and Energy & Environmental Systems.

What has God done?

I AM looking at the big picture and into the future. I care more about my and my grandchild's eternal fate than this transient earthly existence.
        What if, as is most probably the case, you’re wrong?

Too bad this is YOUR best life now. It's not mine.
        I believe this is your best and only life, there is no good reason to think otherwise.

Repent, Tassy. Because when YOU are dead and buried it will be too late for you, and the living God will be your judge. And you won't care much about this earth then.

I will be alive eternally in the presence of my Lord Jesus.
        So you believe and you will never know otherwise because you, like all living creatures, will be dead and rotting.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          It doesn't say much other than some regulations to protect rivers. I'm sorta suspicious when what the regulation isn't posted. I mean some of the regulations were to prevent something like this from happening. Or from states having the right to just wave away issues for the coal industry, or let them get away with raising heavy metal concentrations in the water.

Sparko just comment on this.

What you're looking at right there is a two billion dollar disaster brought about by a fly ash spill. So... should the coal industry pay for that one? Or is that for the government to pay for on behalf of the coal industry?

This environmental disaster will never be fully fixed. That river will remain somewhat polluted until Christ returns. Is that okay?

of course they should pay to fix something they caused. That doesn't need a regulation. They are legally responsible. It was an accident. Not just someone polluting because they could.

I am talking about various regulations that are onerous and burdensome to the point that they are designed to force an industry out of business. Which is what happened to the coal mines and the coal power plants. I have lived in appalachia, my grandpa and my uncle were coal miners. It is some of the cleanest and unpolluted land in the country. You could drink out of the creek that ran in front of my grandpa's house. His water source was a well. The regulations they forced upon the coal industry were not even needed.

Obama decided that coal had to go, and worked with the EPA to make it so.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Obama decided that coal had to go, and worked with the EPA to make it so.
            In fact, this was Obama's explicitly stated goal:

"If somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can; it's just that it will bankrupt them because they're going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that's being emitted."

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb...-coal-industry
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              In fact, this was Obama's explicitly stated goal:

"If somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can; it's just that it will bankrupt them because they're going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that's being emitted."
              Good. That makes sense. The coal industry needs to be contained for the sake of all our futures. "Carbon dioxide is the greenhouse gas that is steadily contributing to global warming. And of all the fossil fuels (coal, oil and natural gas), coal is the one that produces most carbon dioxide when it is burned. As a result, the activity of mining and burning coal contributes to global warming more than anything else."

https://mmay601blog.wordpress.com/co...lobal-warming/
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                Good. That makes sense. The coal industry needs to be contained for the sake of all our futures. "Carbon dioxide is the greenhouse gas that is steadily contributing to global warming. And of all the fossil fuels (coal, oil and natural gas), coal is the one that produces most carbon dioxide when it is burned. As a result, the activity of mining and burning coal contributes to global warming more than anything else."

Wow, a Wordpress Blog! I am impressed!!!

Complete with a "New York City is Underwater" "news" story!

nyc under water.jpg
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Wow, a Wordpress Blog! I am impressed!!!

Complete with a "New York City is Underwater" "news" story!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32281[/ATTACH]
                  Don't you know? At some point, seawater will rise all at once, necessitating rescue.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Don't you know? At some point, seawater will rise all at once, necessitating rescue.
                    So, the frantic little girl in the video should be calling for the USCG, not the National Guard.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Respiration is a major source of carbon dioxide. Perhaps if you taped your mouth shut and pinched your nose closed...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If you would just hold your breath, you could help save the planet from this awful poison.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post

Even at its currently "elevated" levels, CO2 remains a trace gas in our atmosphere, and its affect on global temperatures is anywhere from negligible to undetectable against the backdrop of normal climatic fluctuations.

The usual response to this from climate change alarmists is to say that even a trace amount of arsenic in water will kill you, but CO2 in our atmosphere is in no way analogous to arsenic. In other words, destroying the livelihoods of hundreds of thousands of people will in no way "save" the planet or prevent the perfectly normal temperature cycles the Earth has experienced since Creation.

Here are some facts for you:

Flawed Projections
                          • IPCC and virtually all the governments of the world depend on global climate models (GCMs) to forecast the effects of human-related greenhouse gas emissions on the climate.
                          • GCMs systematically over-estimate the sensitivity of climate to carbon dioxide (CO2), many known forcings and feedbacks are poorly modeled, and modelers exclude forcings and feedbacks that run counter to their mission to find a human influence on climate.
                          • NIPCC estimates a doubling of CO2 from pre-industrial levels (from 280 to 560 ppm) would likely produce a temperature forcing of 3.7 Wm-2 in the lower atmosphere, for about ~1°C of prima facie warming.
                          • Four specific forecasts made by GCMs have been falsified by real-world data from a wide variety of sources. In particular, there has been no global warming for some 18 years.

False Postulates
                          • Neither the rate nor the magnitude of the reported late twentieth century surface warming (1979–2000) lay outside normal natural variability.
                          • The late twentieth century warm peak was of no greater magnitude than previous peaks caused entirely by natural forcings and feedbacks.
                          • Historically, increases in atmospheric CO2 followed increases in temperature, they did not precede them. Therefore, CO2 levels could not have forced temperatures to rise.
                          • Solar forcings are not too small to explain twentieth century warming. In fact, their effect could be equal to or greater than the effect of CO2 in the atmosphere.
                          • A warming of 2°C or more during the twenty-first century would probably not be harmful, on balance, because many areas of the world would benefit from or adjust to climate change.

https://www.heartland.org/_template-...h%20covers.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Respiration is a major source of carbon dioxide. Perhaps if you taped your mouth shut and pinched your nose closed...

A major removal method for CO2 is plant respiration. Maybe we could just plant more trees?
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

A major removal method for CO2 is plant respiration. Maybe we could just plant more trees?
                              we should kick everyone out of South America so the rain forests can grow back!

Comment

Ooh, I know: carbon credits!

Comment