Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Khashoggi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Aside from the fact that nobody has seen Khashoggi since he's entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul is there really any actual evidence he was killed, much less in the gruesome manner suggested? So far I haven't been able to find that any solid evidence has been offered in spite of the Erdoğan Administration saying they would produce it some 17 days ago. There has also been a lot of speculation about his smart watch being used to transmit his murder to the cloud or to his phone (which his fiance had) and bizarre claims that it was all videotaped as "proof" of the act (since the claim is that his dismembered body was smuggled out piece by piece it would seem that would be all that was needed). To date it seems that everything is what they "suspect" happened and what Turkish officials "believe" may have happened.
    where was Hillary when this went down?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      where was Hillary when this went down?
      Sitting in her moo-moo explaining who it was that cost her the election.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Aside from the fact that nobody has seen Khashoggi since he's entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul is there really any actual evidence he was killed, much less in the gruesome manner suggested? So far I haven't been able to find that any solid evidence has been offered in spite of the Erdoğan Administration saying they would produce it some 17 days ago. There has also been a lot of speculation about his smart watch being used to transmit his murder to the cloud or to his phone (which his fiance had) and bizarre claims that it was all videotaped as "proof" of the act (since the claim is that his dismembered body was smuggled out piece by piece it would seem that would be all that was needed). To date it seems that everything is what they "suspect" happened and what Turkish officials "believe" may have happened.
        Now we finally have something...

Source: Saudi Arabia claims Khashoggi was killed in a fight, contrary to other accounts

Missing journalist Jamal Khashoggi is dead, Saudi Arabia's general prosecutor said early Saturday morning local time.

The government said that Khashoggi got into a fight with the people he met at the consulate in Istanbul, Turkey. The kingdom alleged that Khashoggi died in that clash.

That explanation counters multiple reports of how Khashoggi died. Turkish officials told The New York Times that it has audio evidence which proves Khashoggi was tortured, killed and subsequently dismembered by a hit team of Saudi agents.

It also contradicts the Saudi government's earlier account of events. Officials previously told reporters that the dissident journalist left the consulate shortly after he arrived.

The announcement comes more than two weeks after Khashoggi was last seen in public, entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. Khashoggi was a frequent critic of Saudi Arabia's royal family and wrote columns for The Washington Post.

The kingdom also fired Deputy Chief of General Intelligence Ahmad bin Hassan Asiri and royal court advisor Abdullah Al-Qahtani. The kingdom also said a committee would be formed to restructure its intelligence agency under the supervision of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, "to modernize its regulations and define its powers precisely."

On Thursday, The New York Times reported that Saudi officials close to the crown prince planned on blaming Asiri for Khashoggi's death. The Times said by making Asiri a scapegoat, the government could help shield the crown prince from blame.

Saudi Arabia said it "is taking the necessary measures to clarify the circumstances in the case of Saudi citizen Jamal Khashoggi" and that "all those involved will be brought to justice."

In the weeks following Khashoggi's disappearance, the international community increasingly pressed Saudi Arabia for the dissident's whereabouts. U.S. President Donald Trump also faced mounting criticism for being too soft in his response.

On Thursday, Trump acknowledged Khashoggi was likely dead and said he would consider "very severe consequences" if Saudi Arabia is found responsible. Vice President Mike Pence said that the U.S. will not "solely rely" on information provided by Saudi Arabia.

Several members of Congress have called for swift sanctions on oil-rich Saudi Arabia in the uproar over Khashoggi.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

[*Click link for full story*]

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Habeas corpus
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
            You pseudo christians have learned well how to twist ones words, i.e. to spin, which you call interpretation. The Saudi's brutally tortured and murdered this man who took a stance against the tyranny taking place in his own country. As Americans, or believers in democracy and freedom, you should be proud of such a one, instead of making excuses for his murderers. What Tass et al are saying is that the U.S. should condemn and exact consequences, political and or economic, on those who would use their power thusly. No one has said anything about assasination or about being the worlds police.
            They learn from their role-model Trump. What they should do about the "innocent until proved guilty" Crown Prince is subject him to a limited 5 day investigation and conclude that no doubt "something happened" to Khashoggi but it can't determine exactly what or by whom...but it most certainly had nothing to do with the Crown Prince or his cronies. Then they can carry on selling arms to Saudi Arabia enabling it to continue targeting Yemen, thus ensuring the worst world man-man famine for a 100 years.
            Last edited by Tassman; 10-20-2018, 12:54 AM.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              They learn from their buddy Obama who showed them how to actually go after the press that didn't obey. What they should do about the "innocent until proved guilty" Crown Prince is subject him to a limited 5 day investigation and conclude that no doubt "something happened" to Khashoggi but it can't determine exactly what or by whom...but it most certainly had nothing to do with the Crown Prince or his cronies. Then they can carry on selling arms to Saudi Arabia enabling it to continue targeting Yemen, thus ensuring the worst world man-man famine for a 100 years.
              FIFY n/c

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

They learn from their role-model Trump. What they should do about the "innocent until proved guilty" Crown Prince is subject him to a limited 5 day investigation and conclude that no doubt "something happened" to Khashoggi but it can't determine exactly what or by whom...but it most certainly had nothing to do with the Crown Prince or his cronies. Then they can carry on selling arms to Saudi Arabia enabling it to continue targeting Yemen, thus ensuring the worst world man-man famine for a 100 years.
                I think Trump is more concerned with his own finacial benefits coming from the Saudi's, said by himself to be hundreds of millions, than he is about the economic benefits coming to the U.S. as a result of arms deals which he way over exagerated anyway. Like the Russians, the Saudi's no doubt have the goods on Trump, so you watch, he isn't about to slight them in any way. We have a criminal President on our hands, and foriegn governments got him right where they want him.

Comment

... What they should do about the "innocent until proved guilty"...
                  It really is no surprise that you mock this bedrock principle of democracy. Much better to "hang 'em high" THEN get the facts, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    It really is no surprise that you mock this bedrock principle of democracy. Much better to "hang 'em high" THEN get the facts, eh?
                    The problem is that in this case that bedrock principle is being used as an excuse not to look into what happened.

It does not one American any good to cover up the torture and killing of a US Journalist by a foreign government, no matter how much money they may provide the country or our president's personal fortune. I would think twice before speaking in defense of the president or the Saudi's on this one CP. And hopefully, for the sake of the country, he will in fact do the right thing here eventually.

Jim
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      The problem is that in this case that bedrock principle is being used as an excuse not to look into what happened.
                      I don't think we'll know what happened. Still, it's no excuse to mock the "innocent until proven guilty" concept.

It does not one American any good to cover up the torture and killing of a US Journalist by a foreign government, no matter how much money they may provide the country or our president's personal fortune.
                      Nor did I say it did. You're doing a whole lot of assumin' there.

I would think twice before speaking in defense of the president or the Saudi's on this one CP.
                      Maybe you should think twice before inferring that I'm defending the president on this, Jim. That's a load of hooey.

And hopefully, for the sake of the country, he will in fact do the right thing here eventually.

Jim
                      And what, exactly, is "the right thing"?

Comment

Habeas corpus
                        Let me be clear for the Olympic-class conclusion jumpers here. I'm not buying the stories coming out of SaudiLand.

Hence, my statement above - Habeas corpus - which, from Latin, literally means "that you have the body" -- if he was killed in a fist fight, and not chopped up in little pieces, somebody should be able to produce the body.

Comment

Let me be clear for the Olympic-class conclusion jumpers here. I'm not buying the stories coming out of SaudiLand.

Hence, my statement above - Habeas corpus - which, from Latin, literally means "that you have the body" -- if he was killed in a fist fight, and not chopped up in little pieces, somebody should be able to produce the body.
                          Don't worry, as soon as they've sewed the parts back together they'll present it for all the the world to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                            Don't worry, as soon as they've sewed the parts back together they'll present it for all the the world to see.

Just in time for Halloween!

Comment

I don't think I can believe the Saudi's story, it doesn't make sense. He attacked a group of fifteen trained assassins who had no choice but to kill him and cut him into tiny pieces with a bone saw in self-defense?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                                I don't think I can believe the Saudi's story, it doesn't make sense. He attacked a group of fifteen trained assassins who had no choice but to kill him and cut him into tiny pieces with a bone saw in self-defense?
                                I don't think there's any way for them to come up with a "proper story" that could fit the circumstances.

Comment