Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Khashoggi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Spoken like a true conspiracy theorist, ff. JimL probably even takes your fantasy seriously.
    Nothing on this earth is more corrupting than oil.
    He did not mention the Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, widely seen as the most powerful figure in the kingdom and who many believe ordered the killing.
    For a president not shy of confrontation, this could be another attempt to preserve the diplomatic relationship with Saudi Arabia or a result of pressure from Riyadh or Washington to hold back, says the BBC's Mark Lowen in Istanbul.
    The Turkish president had promised to reveal the "naked truth" about the killing, but his speech gave barely more detail than we knew, our correspondent added.
    - BBC reporting on Erdogan today.

We have to guess at what’s going on behind the scenes but you can bet, if Republicans are involved, that it’s nothing honourable.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      Nothing on this earth is more corrupting than oil.
      Too bad the US is now energy independent, eh? And we've got Iraq as a backup, so we're good, thanks.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        Nevertheless, the US still owed him protection and is obligated to pursue justice on his behalf. “The US constitution protects any person on US soil—no matter what their status—and US citizens overseas”. “Khashoggi was living in the United States on an “O” visa, according to his employer the Washington Post. Also known as the “genius” visa, the O offers individuals of “extraordinary ability and achievement” temporary residence for up to three years. Three of Khashoggi’s children are US citizens, and he is believed to have been applying for a legal permanent residence in the US, also known as a green card”.

https://qz.com/1428499/jamal-khashog...-constitution/
        You realize he was neither on US soil nor a US citizen at the time, yes?
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          Nothing on this earth is more corrupting than oil....
          Perhaps you're unaware of "blood diamonds"?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

sigpic

Comment

You realize he was neither on US soil nor a US citizen at the time, yes?
              That’s Trump’s argument but it doesn’t hold up. Quelle Surprise.

Protection under US domestic law applies to lawful permanent residents. " Lawful permanent residents (LPR), or green card holders generally are not entitled to emergency and protective services provided by the U.S. Government, the US statue says, except when an LPR applicant has exceptionally close and strong ties to the United States, and overriding humanitarian and compassionate grounds exist.”

Khashoggi had such close ties. He was living in the United States on an “O” visa. He was employed by a US newspaper and he had children, who are US citizens,
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

It wasn't an American journalist; it was a Saudi journalist who resided here because it wasn't safe for him to stay in SA.
                Ah, Kashoggi worked for the Washington post, not the Saudi Arab News. He's a Saudi who worked as an American journalist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  The issue isn't oil or blood diamonds. It is the corrupting influence of wealth and power, of 'mammon' as the scriptures call it. None of us are immune, but especially those whose whole life is focused on amassing wealth and power. Such individuals will always be corrupt.

You can't serve both God and Mammon

- Jesus Christ

Jim
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                    That’s Trump’s argument but it doesn’t hold up. Quelle Surprise.

Protection under US domestic law applies to lawful permanent residents. " Lawful permanent residents (LPR), or green card holders generally are not entitled to emergency and protective services provided by the U.S. Government, the US statue says, except when an LPR applicant has exceptionally close and strong ties to the United States, and overriding humanitarian and compassionate grounds exist.”

Khashoggi had such close ties. He was living in the United States on an “O” visa. He was employed by a US newspaper and he had children, who are US citizens,
                    Ah, goalpost move. Quelle Surprise. It's a bit late for "emergency and protective services", yes? Also, note the high bar of the language involved: "exceptionally close and strong ties... AND overriding humanitarian and compassionate grounds exist." There's plenty of wiggle room there; it seems that one would need to first demonstrate this before services are provided. So, quelle surprise redux, Trump's argument DOES hold up after all.

Kashoggi also had close ties to Islamist groups, so it's far from clear he'd be granted a green card regardless.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      Ah, Kashoggi worked for the Washington post, not the Saudi Arab News. He's a Saudi who worked as an American journalist.
                      No, he's a Saudi who worked for the Washington Post as a foreign correspondent.

sigpic

Comment

No, he's a Saudi who worked for the Washington Post as a foreign correspondent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          Them fact thingies getting in your way?

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            The issue isn't oil or blood diamonds. It is the corrupting influence of wealth and power, of 'mammon' as the scriptures call it. None of us are immune, but especially those whose whole life is focused on amassing wealth and power. Such individuals will always be corrupt.

You can't serve both God and Mammon

- Jesus Christ

Jim
                            You're preaching to the choir, Jim. Cow Poke is just poking firstfloor.

sigpic

Comment

I've been slammed way too often for making assumptions about the intent of a statement - so I do my best not to do that.

And so I'm just taking the statement(s) at face value and pointing out what the real problem is.

The target is anyone reading - members of the choir or not

Jim
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

You misjudge my dear friend. I think CP was just wanting to compile a list of things not to get obsessed about.
                                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment