Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Khashoggi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    By the dawn's early light? Frost on the pasture, for one thing. Deer in the field. And Jake taking a nap on his chair.
    Well, you’re doing much better than me by the sound of it. More of this story a bit later I think.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      Well, you’re doing much better than me by the sound of it. More of this story a bit later I think.
      So sorry, ff - I hope things go better for you.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• In case you were wondering what was the connection between the great bishop and theologian Hugh William Montefiore (born Hugh William Sebag-Montefiore) and the author Hugh Sebag-Montefiore, it turns out that the father of Hugh the author, one Stephen Eric Sebag-Montefiore, was descended from a line of wealthy Sephardic Jews who were diplomats and bankers all over Europe. At the start of the 19th century, his great-great uncle, Sir Moses Montefiore, became a banking partner of N M Rothschild & Sons. His mother, Phyllis April Jaffé comes from a Lithuanian Jewish family of poor scholars. Her parents fled the Russian Empire at the turn of the 20th century. They bought tickets for New York City, but were cheated, being instead dropped off at Cork, Ireland. During the Limerick Pogrom of 1904 they left Ireland and moved to Newcastle, England. The father of his namesake, Bishop of Birmingham Hugh Montefiore, was the great-great-nephew of Sir Moses.

I’ve been reading his obituary, Hugh William’s here:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/200...aries.religion

We need more clergy like this.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

If "we" refers to your fellow atheists, you're probably correct!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

In case you were wondering what was the connection between the great bishop and theologian Hugh William Montefiore (born Hugh William Sebag-Montefiore) and the author Hugh Sebag-Montefiore, it turns out that the father of Hugh the author, one Stephen Eric Sebag-Montefiore, was descended from a line of wealthy Sephardic Jews who were diplomats and bankers all over Europe. At the start of the 19th century, his great-great uncle, Sir Moses Montefiore, became a banking partner of N M Rothschild & Sons. His mother, Phyllis April Jaffé comes from a Lithuanian Jewish family of poor scholars. Her parents fled the Russian Empire at the turn of the 20th century. They bought tickets for New York City, but were cheated, being instead dropped off at Cork, Ireland. During the Limerick Pogrom of 1904 they left Ireland and moved to Newcastle, England. The father of his namesake, Bishop of Birmingham Hugh Montefiore, was the great-great-nephew of Sir Moses.

I’ve been reading his obituary, Hugh William’s here:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/200...aries.religion

Your input is always guaranteed to come from out of left field.

I had to drive to work through snow this morning, which is a bit unusual. It's been over 2 decades since Washington, DC has had measurable snowfall in November.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Only if you want Christianity to have a semblance of relevance in the modern era. But we don't want that do we, given the harm religion does.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                Only if you want Christianity to have a semblance of relevance in the modern era. But we don't want that do we, given the harm religion does.
                Religion is a blended mixture that may be sweet or sour. It cannot be got rid of, so we need to promote the good stuff when we find it. I wonder if the pure substance cannot be distilled and has no name.

Comment

Religion is a blended mixture that may be sweet or sour. It cannot be got rid of, so we need to promote the good stuff when we find it. I wonder if the pure substance cannot be distilled and has no name.
                  Religion as defined, namely: "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods" has become irrelevant in many places...e.g. my country of Australia. No doubt there will always be pockets of it, even in the most advanced secular societies, just as thee are those who continue to believe paranormal nonsense such as tarot cards or astrology, but they tend to remain on the fringes of society.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Religion as defined, namely: "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods" has become irrelevant in many places...e.g. my country of Australia. No doubt there will always be pockets of it, even in the most advanced secular societies, just as thee are those who continue to believe paranormal nonsense such as tarot cards or astrology, but they tend to remain on the fringes of society.
                    It helps me to listen to or read other points of view. At the moment I am listening to a BBC R4 programme called ‘How to be a Muslim Woman’. It is very surprising.

Comment

It helps me to listen to or read other points of view. At the moment I am listening to a BBC R4 programme called ‘How to be a Muslim Woman’. It is very surprising.
                      Have you bought your Burka yet?

Comment

70% of Australians are religious. I think you are jumping the gun.

Comment

• I hear today that Trump wants to find a way to give US based cleric Fethullah Gulen to Erdogan so that Erdogan will stop banging on about Khashoggi and embarrassing the murderous MbS. This is how tyrants cooperate.
                          Last edited by firstfloor; 11-16-2018, 11:42 AM.

Comment

I hear today that Trump wants to find a way to give US based cleric Fethullah Gulen to Erdogan so that Erdogan will stop banging on about Khashoggi and embarrassing the murderous MbS. This is how tyrants cooperate.
                            You really need to widen your circle of acquaintances.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              You really need to widen your circle of acquaintances.
                              But it looks like Erdogan does not want to join Trump's disgusting plot.

Comment

But it looks like Erdogan does not want to join Trump's disgusting plot.
                                That's nice. Erdogan is such a nice man.

Comment