Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Khashoggi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    Did MBS discount the risks because his pal Trump hates journalists too?
    JimL beat me to it!
    You two are two peas in a pod. (Three, if we toss in Starlight!)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Why would I not bring the defender of tyrants into this, since he is once again defending their murderous ways. All over the world journalist are more and more concerned for their liberty and their lives now that the U.S. is no longer there to defend them against the tyrannous Putins, the Erdogan's, the Duartes and the Saudi Princes of the world.
      In this case, it's Erdogan vs. Saudi Prince. What's a "defender of tyrants" to do?
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        In this case, it's Erdogan vs. Saudi Prince. What's a "defender of tyrants" to do?
        Send them a pallets of cash?

oh wait that was Obama...

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          You two are two peas in a pod. (Three, if we toss in Starlight!)
          Pod or no pod, have you noticed that us yins make up for lack of numbers by superior intellectual performance and much better arguments? Our main problem is getting bored of wiping the floor with youse yins.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Pod or no pod, have you noticed that us yins make up for lack of numbers by superior intellectual performance and much better arguments? Our main problem is getting bored of wiping the floor with youse yins.
            Keep thinking that, FF, the entertainment value is worth it.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You missed a spot over there. -------------------------->

If you're gonna keep the floor clean, at least do a good job of it.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Pod or no pod
                Original Invasion of the Body Snatchers is the best.
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                  Original Invasion of the Body Snatchers is the best.
                  body snatcher.jpg

Had to do this before Rogue got it!

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32171[/ATTACH]

Had to do this before Rogue got it!
                    rogue knows that isn't from the original (which was in black and white) but from the remake over 20 years later

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      rogue knows that isn't from the original (which was in black and white) but from the remake over 20 years later
                      Wait - that's in COLOR?!?!?!?!

How bout THIS one?

invasion-of-the-body-snatchers.jpg

Comment

Wait - that's in COLOR?!?!?!?!

How bout THIS one?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32172[/ATTACH]

[*Has anyone informed the prodder of bovines that Tweb's smiley faces are... yellow?*]

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So, enough of that, back to business.

The recent, highly charged exchange of words between Washington and Riyadh now appears to have given way to a mutual search for the least bad explanation. Both countries' leaders know they have an enormous amount to lose if this affair ended up splitting apart their 73-year old strategic partnership.
                          Iran, as the regional rival to Saudi Arabia, would be the prime beneficiary if the Saudis were to lose their defensive US umbrella. President Trump is also correct when he says thousands of US jobs would be lost, with China and Russia to be among those lining up to replace them.
                          Which begs the wider question: is the West's relationship with Saudi Arabia so important that it outweighs the need to condemn and punish what many believe was a state-sponsored murder of a journalist inside a consulate?
                          Hence the urgent dispatching of US Secretary of State for talks with the Saudi leadership. In private there may well be some strong words, in public both countries may want to present a united stand. But one thing is certain: whatever narrative emerges, the international reputation of the Saudi Crown Prince and power-behind-the-throne Mohammed Bin Salman will forever be tainted by this affair.
                          - BBC
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

So, enough of that, sack to business.

The recent, highly charged exchange of words between Washington and Riyadh now appears to have given way to a mutual search for the least bad explanation.

- BBC
                            I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I tell you.

Comment

I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I tell you.
                              I wonder if this is so toxic that MBS is sent into exile or something.

For now, Riyadh has tied itself to one individual, its crown prince, who seems to be on the verge of tarnishing this carefully crafted image. Trump still basks in the royal welcome he received in Riyadh within months of taking office, while his son-in-law Kushner has spent hours in phone calls and meetings cementing his personal relationship with the crown prince. Yet in the end, how central MbS should be to America’s broader goals in the region remains questionable.
                              - Haaretz.com

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                You would find a way to bring Trump bashing into this. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you're not any better at reading Trump's mind than you are ours - which hasn't stopped you from repeated failure. I don't think Trump should buy what the Saudis are saying; I don't know that he has at this point.
                                What Trump seems to be doing is accepting the Saudi denial at face value, regardless of its implausibility. The problem is that there's a long history of Trump's business dealings with the Saudis and we've never had to factor in a president's business interests when considering why a president is acting a specific way toward a specific country.
                                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment