Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Khashoggi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    What Trump seems to be doing is accepting the Saudi denial at face value, regardless of its implausibility. The problem is that there's a long history of Trump's business dealings with the Saudis and we've never had to factor in a president's business interests when considering why a president is acting a specific way toward a specific country.
    Honestly, I doubt that would be a bigger factor than the importance of SA to our overall policy in that region, and the effect SA can have on energy prices if we punish them and they retaliate.

It really is a mess.

We need to just bite the bullet and exile that greasy little turd Kushner to Outer Slobovia for a while and tell SA that either MBS is removed -- at least from any position of power, preferably from breathing -- or we're cutting ties with SA. Let things fall as they will.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

What’s the connection between MAGA and Khashoggi’s murder?

Traditionally the United States has viewed itself as the upholder of norms, an exemplar of moral leadership, the policeman of global bad behaviour - an idealised notion it has not always lived up to.
      But this week has driven home not just how much Donald Trump has been reluctant to perform that role. It also speaks of how his doctrine of patriotism is at risk of being interpreted by other nations as a doctrine of anything goes.
      In the red, white and blue of America First do other countries see a green light to act with impunity?
      -BBC
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Interlude:
        Translation of a Doric poem by Charles Murray.

IF I were God, sitting up there above,
        Wearied no doubt, now all my work was done,
        Deafened by the harps and hymns unending ringing,
        Tired of the flocking angels hoarse with singing,
        To some cloud edge I'd saunter forth and, faith,
        Look over and watch how things were going beneath.
        Then if I saw how men, I'd made myself
        Had started out to poison, shoot and fell,
        To steal and rape and fairly make a hell
        Of my fine spinning Earth -- a whole week's work --
        I'd drop my coat again, roll up my shirt,
        And, ere they'd time to launch a second ark,
        Take back my word and send another flood,
        Drown out the whole shebang, wipe the slate,
        Admit my mistake, and once I'd cleared the board,
        Start everything over again, if I were God.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          In this case, it's Erdogan vs. Saudi Prince. What's a "defender of tyrants" to do?
          How about doing the right thing regardless. Unless you are completely naive, which being a republican Trump supporter you obviously are, then you know what happened here. 15 Saudis, including a doctor with a bone saw showed up on private planes and Khashoggi was seen on camera entering the embassy but was never seen on camera leaving the embassy. Then the 15 Saudis left on their private planes. Now you have Trump defending MBS, the Saudi tyrant the same way he defended his other tyrant buddy Putin. "He very strongly denied knowing anything about it." Give me a break!

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
            How about doing the right thing regardless. Unless you are completely naive, which being a republican Trump supporter you obviously are, then you know what happened here. 15 Saudis, including a doctor with a bone saw showed up on private planes and Khashoggi was seen on camera entering the embassy but was never seen on camera leaving the embassy. Then the 15 Saudis left on their private planes. Now you have Trump defending MBS, the Saudi tyrant the same way he defended his other tyrant buddy Putin. "He very strongly denied knowing anything about it." Give me a break!
            Jim, how about reading what I actually post in lieu of inventing reasons to castigate me? I've addressed this already.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

-BBC
              One word for you: Syria.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

you know, what Trump says in public might not be what he is saying or doing in private with the CIA. Most smart people don't announce their plans in advance. If they do find out MBS is behind it, rather than creating an international incident with SA, he might have an 'accident' a few months from now. They could probably hire Clinton to take care of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  you know, what Trump says in public might not be what he is saying or doing in private with the CIA. Most smart people don't announce their plans in advance. If they do find out MBS is behind it, rather than creating an international incident with SA, he might have an 'accident' a few months from now. They could probably hire Clinton to take care of it.
                  Well yeah, you can bet that what Trump says in public is not what he say or does in private. We've been trying to make that clear to ya'll for years now. The guy is a pathological liar. But this isn't about him lying just yet, he's not only a liar, but he's calculating, so he is trying to defend his tyrannous Saudi benefactor as if perhaps he had nothing to do with Khashoggi's murder, that these 15 Saudi's were rogue actors who carried out this murder on their own, without MBS's say so. Even Trump isn't that dumb though, he just thinks you are!

Comment

-BBC
                    Funny. I always thought that the left hated it when we played the world's cop.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      I don’t know what ‘the left’ think on this issue but most countries benefit from an international rules based system. Philippe Sands has lectured on the subject many times. We don’t like it when you break the rules you helped to make.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        For one thing, Khashoggi was a U.S. resident working as a journalist for the Washington Post. Ya know, an enemy of the people according to Trump. I'm sure the psychopath is not concerned in the least, I'm betting that he actually appreciates what his counterpart, the psychopath Saudi Prince, ordered his hired killers to do.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          For one thing, Khashoggi was a U.S. resident working as a journalist for the Washington Post. Ya know, an enemy of the people according to Trump. I'm sure the psychopath is not concerned in the least, I'm betting that he actually appreciates what his counterpart, the psychopath Saudi Prince, ordered his hired killers to do.
                          Careful, Jim. You're gonna pull something if you keep stretching like that.

sigpic

Comment

I don’t know what ‘the left’ think on this issue but most countries benefit from an international rules based system. Philippe Sands has lectured on the subject many times. We don’t like it when you break the rules you helped to make.
                            I note you didn't actually answer what rogue said. Maybe you forgot?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              I note you didn't actually answer what rogue said. Maybe you forgot?
                              No, I think I covered it. What do you think I missed?

Comment

No, I think I covered it. What do you think I missed?
                                The whole side of the barn? Maybe you were aiming at a different target.

sigpic

Comment