Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All will repent?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

All will repent?

When I was at church one Sunday, I mentioned to someone my hope that all will be saved. I was then asked for a Scriptural argument. My reply was a question, “When God commands all people everywhere to repent (Acts 17:30), does he have as at least one of his purposes, that all people repent?” Upon being informed that he does, I then mentioned Isaiah 55:11,

“As the rain and the snow
    come down from heaven,
    and do not return to it
    without watering the earth
    and making it bud and flourish,
    so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
    so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
    It will not return to me empty,
    but will accomplish what I desire
    and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.” (Isa. 55:10-11)

So God’s word, in commanding all to repent, we may hope for it accomplish its purpose. We may then hope for all to repent.

Blessings,
    Lee

P.S. I acknowledge my debt to Thomas Talbott’s essay here in "Universal Salvation? The Current Debate", where he makes a similar argument from an Arminian perspective.
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Where in Scripture does God have, as one of his purposes, that all repent? Without that, your case collapses.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Where in Scripture does God have, as one of his purposes, that all repent? Without that, your case collapses.
    Except for Peter stating the Lord's preference is that none should perish, but come to repentance, I know not.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

4. Amen lee_merrill, Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Source: Eze. 33:11

Say to them, ‘As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, people of Israel?’

© Copyright Original Source

Surely this indicates that God's purpose is that the wicked turn from their ways!

"Let the wicked forsake their ways
    and the unrighteous their thoughts.
    Let them turn to the Lord..." (Isa. 55:7)

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post

Say to them, ‘As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, people of Israel?’

Surely this indicates that God's purpose is that the wicked turn from their ways!

Blessings,
    Lee
    It is, no doubt, His preference. We, however, are not puppets.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Blessings,
    Lee
    It is certainly God's desire. Note, however, that the wicked die nonetheless.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke
    It is, no doubt, His preference. We, however, are not puppets.
    But then would that mean that God's word would not accomplish its purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig
    It is certainly God's desire. Note, however, that the wicked die nonetheless.
    Yes, so we may hope that the wicked may repent after death?

Blessings,
    Lee

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    When I was at church one Sunday, I mentioned to someone my hope that all will be saved. I was then asked for a Scriptural argument. My reply was a question, “When God commands all people everywhere to repent (Acts 17:30), does he have as at least one of his purposes, that all people repent?” Upon being informed that he does, I then mentioned Isaiah 55:11,

“ . . . so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
    It will not return to me empty,
    but will accomplish what I desire
    and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.” (Isa. 55:10-11) . . .
    But you are making a big assumption here in saying that His word not coming to nothing means what you say it means. The Bible has many examples, some mentioned here, of His preferences not being fulfilled as we are able to see. His sovereign will ultimately will be done whether as you see it or not.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    But then would that mean that God's word would not accomplish its purpose?
    It certainly accomplishes its purpose in those who accept Christ, and it certainly accomplishes its purpose in offering Salvation to all who will believe.

11. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    But you are making a big assumption here in saying that His word not coming to nothing means what you say it means. The Bible has many examples, some mentioned here, of His preferences not being fulfilled as we are able to see. His sovereign will ultimately will be done whether as you see it or not.
    I only assume that God's purpose in commanding all to repent is that indeed, all repent. And as far as all God's preferences being fulfilled, we read:

Saying, ‘My purpose will be established,
    And I will accomplish all My good pleasure’. (Is 46:10)

So God's purposes will be achieved, and all his desires will be fulfilled.

Blessings,
    Lee