Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Office Holders Should Resign to Run for Other Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    I don’t know, I mean, how many members of Congress are millionaires?
    According to Roll Call "Though two-fifths of senators and representatives are millionaires, there are plenty with humbler backgrounds and more modest bank accounts. Almost a quarter of voting members have a negative net worth." Further "the median minimum net worth (meaning half are worth more, half less) of today’s senators and House members was $511,000 at the start of this Congress" (the average net worth rose 16% after 2016). "For every 13 members, in fact, one may fairly be dubbed a “1 percenter,” ... Data from the Fed pegged the net worth threshold for these people at $10.4 million in 2016, a mark exceeded by 26 Republicans and 17 Democrats."

Interestingly "38 percent of the women in Congress are millionaires — identical to the share of millionaires in the total membership" and "the median wealth of women is $217K more than their male counterparts" (7 of 10 of the richest women are Democrats).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Just wondering where you would stand on this...

Should a Governor, for example, be required to resign his office in order to run for President?
      Or a Mayor have to resign to campaign for Governor?
      Only if they're a Democrat or a liberal Republican.
      When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Then the only people who could do it would be the people who could afford to take weeks off from work at a time whenever the legislature was in session. That was why George Washington reluctantly accepted a salary as president; he didn't need it, but he didn't want to set a precedent where only the super wealthy could afford to take the position.
        Yes, I realize that my statement is overly idealistic. My point is that "politician" should not exist as a career. It should be something you do in addition to holding down a regular job. For one thing, politicians would be a lot more hesitant to raise taxes if it was coming out of their own pockets, too.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment