Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump praises assault on reporter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    To call Trump's lighthearted jest a "celebration of violence" is the kind of exaggerated and emotionally charged language that makes reasoned discussion impossible.

Meanwhile, liberals are quick to condemn Trump for what he says while turning a blind eye to what their own actually do. The incidences of violence perpetrated against conservatives is in the hundreds. Sad!

So you did not hear him and did not note his statement that he does not regret? There is not even just a little reluctance on your part to cover these indefensible statements up with whataboutism and reletivism?

Your idea that I support or have anything to do with others supporting violence like your president is both absurd and dishonest. But you rely on relativism and you continue to demonstrate it beyond any doubt.

Why is it so difficult for a Christian who believes all people make mistakes to acknowledge that this is something we should not support? Why is it that all you can provide is whataboutism? Is that what the salt of the earth has become? Anyway, I go for more lasting standards than that.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      I'm happy for you, Charles, that you managed to find a counter-example from a year and a half ago to gleefully shove in our faces. Gianforte was wrong to snap, and Trump was wrong to voice approval of it.

I'll wait patiently for you to acknowledge that violence from Democrats is wrong, too.
      I don't support any kind of violence and I have no idea why you think I have anything more to with it than you or MM or anyone.

I don't know how many times I have told you I am not a democrat. I have encouraged MM to start a thread about the topic instead of using it as a bad excuse to take focus away from the topic of the thread. He has not found it important enough to do so.
      Last edited by Charles; 10-20-2018, 01:22 PM.
      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
        I don't support any kind of violence and I have no idea why you think I have anything more to with it than you or MM or anyone.
        Because you seem to avoid discussion of violence from one side whenever it's brought up.
        I don't know how many times I have told you I am not a democrat.
        I'm quite aware that you're not. It is, however, the side you consistently support here.
        I have encouraged MM to start a thread about the topic instead of using it as a bad excuse to take focus away from the topic of the thread. He has not found it important enough to do so.
        I don't think that related instances of political violence are off-topic.

I also note that you proposed a hypothetical response to the violence from Trump's supporters, notably failed to back it up, and then ended by leaving the impression that this was a recent occurrence, not something that happened almost a year and a half ago.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
          So you did not hear him and did not note his statement that he does not regret?
          I'm aware of his comments, and what I see is much ado about nothing. What he said, and the context in which he said it, neither surprises nor alarms me, nor does it justify your "The sky is falling!" opening post where you weep and gnash your teeth and proclaim that we will only see violence against journalists increase despite the fact that Trump was referring to an isolated incident that happened over a year ago, and we've seen nothing similar since.

Sorry, I should clarify: we have seen nothing similar from conservatives since. Liberals, on the other hand, have increased their violence against Republicans, no doubt emboldened by Democrat leaders who openly encourage such behavior and who declare that civility will only return once the Democrats are back in power.

But, no, lets focus on Trump making a joke. That's the real threat here.

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Because you seem to avoid discussion of violence from one side whenever it's brought up.
            It is quite often brought up as an off topic thing to distract from the issue discussed like MM has done and will likely continue to do in this thread. I don't support any of it, it is that easy.

I'm quite aware that you're not. It is, however, the side you consistently support here.
            Nope. I don't support a side. You guys are to stuck in the "Us and them" logic. If you think I support Democrats because I find it wrong that Trump praises the assult of a reporter you have way too simple view on reality.

I don't think that related instances of political violence are off-topic.
            How are they ralated? Did Trump praise them too?

I also note that you proposed a hypothetical response to the violence from Trump's supporters, notably failed to back it up, and then ended by leaving the impression that this was a recent occurrence, not something that happened almost a year and a half ago.
            I have no idea what you are talking about. I have done nothing to suggest the crime was a recent act. What I have done is to point to Trump's very recent praise of it. To hear the president say these things and to see so many people laughing and applauding is what made my focus on this.

Comment

I'm aware of his comments, and what I see is much ado about nothing. What he said, and the context in which he said it, neither surprises nor alarms me, nor does it justify your "The sky is falling!" opening post where you weep and gnash your teeth and proclaim that we will only see violence against journalists increase despite the fact that Trump was referring to an isolated incident that happened over a year ago, and we've seen nothing similar since.
              Trumps praise of this violent and illegal act is very recent. The idea that it somehow makes it better that the crime he praises was commited over a year ago is beyond me. As well as the idea that a president's praise of the assult on a reporter is "much ado about nothing".

You never get tired of whataboutism and relatism, do you? Are you ever going to concern yourself or us with any thoughts on what is right or wrong in all cases? It seems you simply cannot even start to adress the idea that Trump did anything wrong. All you can do is point to someone who did something worse and focus on that instead. It is pushing for lower standards and for relativism. It has got nothing to do with serious debate nor has it got anything to do with ethics or a Christian world view. I think you have confused the kingdom of God with Trump being in power.

But, no, lets focus on Trump making a joke. That's the real threat here.
              You are the one who does not want to start a thread about the other topics. I have encouraged you to do so but of course you would rather use it to distract from a discussion on Trump's actions.

Would you mind telling us what is funny about praising a guy who assulted a raporter and refusing to regret it afterwards. Do you, as a Christian, actually think that is funny?

Comment

What you mention is important but off topic in this thread.
                Charles, what you so frequently mention is totally unimportant and off topic in most threads.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'd say its overreacting to call what Trump said a 'celebration of violence', though I'd also say that I don't think what he said was good either.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                    I'd say its overreacting to call what Trump said a 'celebration of violence', though I'd also say that I don't think what he said was good either.
                    Yeah.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Charles, what you so frequently mention is totally unimportant and off topic in most threads.
                      Even if that was true I fail to see why MM should refrain from making a new thread about a topic he finds important if it wasn't for the fact that he is trying to take focus away from the topic of this thread. But, anyway, now we are both being of topic. Feel free to comment on the topic of the thread if you like.
                      Last edited by Charles; 10-20-2018, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Yeah.

Comment

Even if that was true
                          For the most part, it is.

I fail to see why MM should refrain from making a new thread about a topic he finds important if it wasn't for the fact that he is trying to take focus away from the topic of this thread. But, anyway, now we are both being of topic. Feel free to comment on the topic of the thread if you like.
                          Thanks. I just might.

Comment

I have no idea what you are talking about. I have done nothing to suggest the crime was a recent act. What I have done is to point to Trump's very recent praise of it. To hear the president say these things and to see so many people laughing and applauding is what made my focus on this.
                            Precisely. The issue is Trump's open praise of a man who:

Source: abc news

The Associated Press reported that Gianforte pleaded guilty in June 2017, paid a $385 fine, completed 40 hours of community service, 20 hours of anger management training, wrote an apology letter and donated $50,000 to the Committee to Protect Journalists.

© Copyright Original Source

And at a time when another US Journalist was ruthlessly killed for nothing more than speaking out against a dictatorial government - a government that Trump wants to sidle up to.

Do none of you that continue to treat this like a 'ho hum' event recognize how completely wrong it all is? To praise a GOP candidate for abuse of a reporter in the middle of an investigation of the killing of another journalist by 'friends' of Trump?

Jim
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Trump has praised Greg Gianforte, the Congress member from Montana, who violently attacked Ben Jacobs, the Guardian’s political correspondent, for asking him a question about healthcare.
                              That was stupid. And wrong. Uncalled for. There are lots of times when I think Trump should just keep his mouth shut and his idiot ideas to himself.

Anything else?

Comment

That was stupid. And wrong. Uncalled for. There are lots of times when I think Trump should just keep his mouth shut and his idiot ideas to himself.
                                To be honest there has been quite many times where I was surprised by what some posters in here would support. When I wrote the opening post on this one I did feel quite confident that this would be too much for quite many no matter whether they would ususally agree with me or not. I am not surprised that this is a case where I can agree with people with whom I ususally disagree. I like your answer but it may give the impression I needed some sort of confession on your side which I did not. I did not apply that you would agree with Trump in this case and I am sorry if I gave that impression, my error if that is the case. I did imply that I think too many people have been too willing to make excuses for him and I stand by that claim though I am happy to see it is not the case to the same degree this time.

Anything else?
                                I can remember a few cases in which we did not agree but that would be of topic... So the answer is "no". But at least it was not my intention to imply that this was something you would also support. I am sorry if I gave that impression.

Comment