Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump praises assault on reporter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charles View Post
    To be honest there has been quite many times where I was surprised by what some posters in here would support. When I wrote the opening post on this one I did feel quite confident that this would be too much for quite many no matter whether they would ususally agree with me or not. I am not surprised that this is a case where I can agree with people with whom I ususally disagree. I like your answer but it may give the impression I needed some sort of confession on your side which I did not. I did not apply that you would agree with Trump in this case and I am sorry if I gave that impression, my error if that is the case. I did imply that I think too many people have been too willing to make excuses for him and I stand by that claim though I am happy to see it is not the case to the same degree this time.

I can remember a few cases in which we did not agree but that would be of topic... So the answer is "no". But at least it was not my intention to imply that this was something you would also support. I am sorry if I gave that impression.
    I just get so tired of some of the liberal posters here ranting and lying about how we (me, specifically) support Trump "no matter what". I appreciate your calm reasoned response, so I'm obviously not talking about you.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I just get so tired of some of the liberal posters here ranting and lying about how we (me, specifically) support Trump "no matter what". I appreciate your calm reasoned response, so I'm obviously not talking about you.
      At least you are not talking about me in this case . If we did have the time it would probably be possible to find a few examples in which the the discussion was a little less calm . But thanks a lot.
      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Nope. I don't support a side. You guys are to stuck in the "Us and them" logic.
        Actions speak louder than words, Charles.
        If you think I support Democrats because I find it wrong that Trump praises the assult of a reporter you have way too simple view on reality.
        I am quite confident you know full well I don't think that.
        How are they ralated? Did Trump praise them too?
        You can't possibly be that dense.
        I have no idea what you are talking about. I have done nothing to suggest the crime was a recent act. What I have done is to point to Trump's very recent praise of it.
        What 'very recent' praise? Your OP is from May, 2017. It also phrased things as current events.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Actions speak louder than words, Charles.
          What actions? You point to none...

I am quite confident you know full well I don't think that.
          Nope. Your line of reasoning seems to imply you think along those lines.

You can't possibly be that dense.
          Why is it on topic? I never got an answer.

What 'very recent' praise? Your OP is from May, 2017. It also phrased things as current events.
          You missed something very fundamental it seems. Trump's praise of the assult was not given in may 2017 but a few days ago. The actions back then were bad enough but the fact that Trump praises the assult and did so a few days ago obviously means that my OP is not from may 2017. I wonder how much attention you paid to any of this if you got that impression.
          Last edited by Charles; 10-20-2018, 04:16 PM.
          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            I'd say its overreacting to call what Trump said a 'celebration of violence', though I'd also say that I don't think what he said was good either.
            Here is an example of what he said:

“Any guy that can do a body slam, he’s my kind of guy,” Trump said to applause. “I shouldn’t say that — (but) there’s nothing to be embarrassed about.”

Trump said he initially thought Gianforte’s act of violence would hurt his election chances, but “then I said, ‘Well, wait a minute, I know Montana pretty well, I think it might help him.’ And it did!” Trump said. “He’s a great guy. Tough cookie.” https://nypost.com/2018/10/18/trump-...y-kind-of-guy/
            And let me repeat Fox News' words on the incident:

At that point, Gianforte grabbed Jacobs by the neck with both hands and slammed him into the ground behind him. Faith, Keith and I watched in disbelief as Gianforte then began punching the reporter. As Gianforte moved on top of Jacobs, he began yelling something to the effect of, "I'm sick and tired of this!" https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gre...-slam-reporter
            This is what Trump praises. He is Trump's kind of guy, a great guy, a tough cookie and there is nothing to be embarrassed about, says Trump...
            Last edited by Charles; 10-20-2018, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Take your relativism and whataboutism elsewhere. What you mention is important but off topic in this thread.

So you think it is a good thing to praise the assult on a reporter? Attacking a reporter is a relatively mild incident? Calling someone who attacks a reporter a great guy is good? Your president congratulates a criminal and you are ok with it? It is interesting to note that absolutely nothing seems to stop you from supporting Trump.
              Whataboutism - phrase liberals use to hide from the rank hypocrisy amoung their own.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                Trumps praise of this violent and illegal act is very recent. The idea that it somehow makes it better that the crime he praises was commited over a year ago is beyond me. As well as the idea that a president's praise of the assult on a reporter is "much ado about nothing".

You never get tired of whataboutism and relatism, do you? Are you ever going to concern yourself or us with any thoughts on what is right or wrong in all cases? It seems you simply cannot even start to adress the idea that Trump did anything wrong. All you can do is point to someone who did something worse and focus on that instead. It is pushing for lower standards and for relativism. It has got nothing to do with serious debate nor has it got anything to do with ethics or a Christian world view. I think you have confused the kingdom of God with Trump being in power.

You are the one who does not want to start a thread about the other topics. I have encouraged you to do so but of course you would rather use it to distract from a discussion on Trump's actions.

Would you mind telling us what is funny about praising a guy who assulted a raporter and refusing to regret it afterwards. Do you, as a Christian, actually think that is funny?
                You know Chuck has lost the debate when he pulls out the "no true Christian" fallacy.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  You know Chuck has lost the debate when he pulls out the "no true Christian" fallacy.
                  So you could not answer that question either. In this entire thread you have been unable to comment on the topic but have done all you could to provide relativism and whataboutism. It is here for all to see. Feel free to comment on the subject of the thread. And feel free to tell us why a Christian should not care about Trump praising the assult on a reporter. But I guess the most we can hope for from you is a picture of a dog or Trump or more whataboutism. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Comment

I like how so many people who would usually disagree actually do agree on this specific matter. I just read this interesting take on Trumps praise of the assult on a reporter on Fox News: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/a-f...%20-%20Text%29

It is called "A free press, like it or not" and is written by Chris Stirewalt.

Here is a very interesting part of it:

Jacobs is a good reporter, and in our experience, a fair-minded one. He also did nothing wrong in the incident. He was respectfully doing his job, which is to ask questions of people in or seeking power.

But even if he wasn’t a good man or even if he was a liberal hack, that wouldn’t matter. The principle of a free press, like our other rights, are not the property of the government nor our fellow citizens. Nor is it conditional.
                    And for those who like to think it is a relatively mild incident, here is another interesting part from Fox News:

Gianforte’s campaign initially lied about the incident, claiming Jacobs had been the aggressor. When confronted with a recording and the eyewitness accounts of others in the room, Gianforte eventually owned up to his behavior, apologized and pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor.

Comment

In this entire thread you have been unable to comment on the topic...
                      I did comment. I said that Trump's remark, and the context in which he made it (referring to a minor incident that happened over a year ago and which resulted in a misdemeanor, that is to say the legal equivalent of a slap on the wrist), neither surprises nor alarms me, nor does it justify liberal handwringing in light of Democrat leaders' continuing and active approval and encouragement of increasing violence against Republicans.

You just don't like what I have to say because it exposes liberal hypocrisy.

Comment

I did comment. I said that Trump's remark, and the context in which he made it (referring to a minor incident that happened over a year ago and which resulted in a misdemeanor, that is to say the legal equivalent of a slap on the wrist), neither surprises nor alarms me, nor does it justify liberal handwringing in light of Democrat leaders' continuing and active approval and encouragement of increasing violence against Republicans.

You just don't like what I have to say because it exposes liberal hypocrisy.
                        I do not identify as a liberal, democrat or whatever label you like to put on me to put me in a box and assiociate me with people with whom I disagree in order to take focus away from what I am actually saying.

Here is Fox News' description of what happened:

At that point, Gianforte grabbed Jacobs by the neck with both hands and slammed him into the ground behind him. Faith, Keith and I watched in disbelief as Gianforte then began punching the reporter. As Gianforte moved on top of Jacobs, he began yelling something to the effect of, "I'm sick and tired of this!" https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gre...-slam-reporter
                        If you think that is a minor incident and if you think it is fair to say it is not too bad because it was more than a year ago, then you take way too lightly on violence for my taste.

And feel free to owe the fact that you have no problem with this:

“Any guy that can do a body slam, he’s my kind of guy,” Trump said to applause. “I shouldn’t say that — (but) there’s nothing to be embarrassed about.”

Trump said he initially thought Gianforte’s act of violence would hurt his election chances, but “then I said, ‘Well, wait a minute, I know Montana pretty well, I think it might help him.’ And it did!” Trump said. “He’s a great guy. Tough cookie.” https://nypost.com/2018/10/18/trump-...y-kind-of-guy/
                        Your acceptance of this is duly noted.

Comment

Here is Fox News' description of what happened...
                          If that were accurate then Gianforte would have surely been convicted of felony assault. The fact that he wasn't, and that the reporter did not sustain serious injuries consistent with being choked and repeatly punched should make you question FOX News' description of events.

Comment

If that were accurate then Gianforte would have surely been convicted of felony assault. The fact that he wasn't, and that the reporter did not sustain serious injuries consistent with being choked and repeatly punched should make you question FOX News' description of events.
                            As I have already showed there are other witnesses saying the same but I am not surprised you do your best to find excuses for Trumps praise of the assult. But it does nothing to help Trump. He is not trying to say it did not happen or that there was no violence. He is praising the assult. Do I really need to quote again?

That was what he said. Sad but true.

Comment

You know Chuck has lost the debate when he pulls out the "no true Christian" fallacy he starts talking/typing.
                              FIFY n/c

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

As I have already showed there are other witnesses saying the same...
                                Their testimony was obviously not compelling if it only resulted in a slap on the wrist from the judge, which makes me think the altercation was far less violent than what the media has led us to believe.

As for Trump making light of it, I don't care. That's just Trump being Trump; it's harmless rhetoric. I care much more about the epidemic of escalating violence against Republicans that is openly encouraged by Democrat leaders.

Comment