Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump praises assault on reporter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump praises assault on reporter

Trump has praised Greg Gianforte, the Congress member from Montana, who violently attacked Ben Jacobs, the Guardian’s political correspondent, for asking him a question about healthcare.

Trump is taking it step by step. At first he calls any inconvenient reporting fake news. Then he calls media the enemy of the people. People slowly get used to it. His supporters find their ways to excuse it. “Take it seriously not literally” and other explanations are used. And it all allows for the slow but certain change for the worse.

So let's look at a few quotes:

“Greg is smart. And by the way, never wrestle him. You understand. Never.”https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ian-ben-jacobs
    In other words this is how seriously Trump opposes violent attacks on reporters. He praises them.

From the same source:

“We endorsed Greg very early. But I heard that he body-slammed a reporter. This was the day of the election or just before, and I thought, ‘Oh, this is terrible! He’s going to lose the election.’”

Trump continued: “And then I said, ‘Wait a minute, I know Montana pretty well, I think it might help him.’ And it did.”
    The US president finished his account of the physical assault by saying of Gianforte: “He’s a great guy. Tough cookie.”
    So this is where it is at. And this is the point from where it is probably going to continue to get even worse.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Meanwhile, it's Democrats who have openly called for violence against Republicans, and Republicans who are being assaulted.

"A new ad released by the Republican National Committee is drawing attention for its montage of Democratic leaders urging violent resistance of their opponents."

https://mobile.wnd.com/2018/10/new-a...-for-violence/

"Two Republican candidates running for office in Minnesota were reportedly assaulted in two incidents on the campaign trail this weekend."

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ampaign-trail/
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Meanwhile, it's Democrats who have openly called for violence against Republicans, and Republicans who are being assaulted.

"A new ad released by the Republican National Committee is drawing attention for its montage of Democratic leaders urging violent resistance of their opponents."

https://mobile.wnd.com/2018/10/new-a...-for-violence/

"Two Republican candidates running for office in Minnesota were reportedly assaulted in two incidents on the campaign trail this weekend."

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ampaign-trail/
      As expected some Trump supporters (even in this case?) try to take focus away with the usual whataboutism since they believe, or at least behave as if, ethics is a relative thing not an absolute. I suggest MM start a new thread about what he mentions since it is off topic here.

And while you were at Breibart, MM, you seemingly lost this:

Boxer said, “It’s another horrifying moment. But, you know, I don’t—I can’t blame the president for everything. These are people there that are applauding this. What are they thinking? What is the message to our children? I’m a grandmother. I wonder what’s going, sinking into those minds. I have an 11-year-old and a couple of 9-year-olds now, and an adult one at 23. I wonder what’s sinking into their minds.” https://www.breitbart.com/video/2018...rump-thinking/
      From the same source (Boxer's statement):

But the fact is, he’s supposed to lead us, lead us in a way that makes us proud, and he does the opposite.
      Last edited by Charles; 10-20-2018, 06:48 AM.
      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

"On Thursday night, the New York City office for the state's Republican Party was vandalized, complete with a message threatening violence against the GOP."

http://insider.foxnews.com/amp/article/63652

"In case you haven't heard — which would not be surprising, given the general media blackout on such events — attacks on Republicans are increasing and increasingly dangerous."

https://www.investors.com/politics/e...lent-rhetoric/

"As we continue to hear new reports of violence being committed against Republicans, simply because of their political views, it is clear that the most radical elements of the Democratic Party are taking over.

"Democratic Party leaders have been reluctant to stop this. Remarkably few have spoken out forcefully against this violence, and what’s worse, some continue to stoke this hysteria instead."

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/rep-...st-republicans

Rap Sheet: ***603** Acts of Media-Approved Violence and Harassment Against Trump Supporters

"...if any one of these things happened to a Democrat, the media would use the story to blot out the sun for weeks. Remember how crazy the media went over a nobody rodeo clown who wore an Obama mask, a GOP staffer who criticized Obama’s daughters? And yet, hundreds of Trump supporters are harassed and brutalized and the media only dutifully report them, if at all. That is because the media are desperate to normalize and justify violence and harassment against Trump and his supporters.

"And while the media openly encourage this violence against us, the media also campaign to disarm us, to take away our Second Amendment right to defend ourselves.

"This list will be updated as needed. Back-filling it will be an ongoing project…"

(Last update at the time of this post: October 16, 2018)

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/...mp-supporters/

----------

And yet we're supposed to wring our hands in despair over Trump joking about a relatively mild isolated incident that happened a year ago.
        Last edited by Mountain Man; 10-20-2018, 06:54 AM.

Comment

And yet we're supposed to wring our hands in despair over Trump joking about relatively mild incident that happened a year ago.
          Take your relativism and whataboutism elsewhere. What you mention is important but off topic in this thread.

So you think it is a good thing to praise the assult on a reporter? Attacking a reporter is a relatively mild incident? Calling someone who attacks a reporter a great guy is good? Your president congratulates a criminal and you are ok with it? It is interesting to note that absolutely nothing seems to stop you from supporting Trump.
          Last edited by Charles; 10-20-2018, 07:10 AM.

Comment

And yet we're supposed to wring our hands in despair over Trump joking about a relatively mild isolated incident that happened a year ago.
            Here is a description of what you consider a relatively mild incident:

Gianforte’s attack on Jacobs came during a special congressional election in Montana when the candidate responded to a question about Republican healthcare plans by slamming Jacobs to the floor, breaking his glasses, while shouting: “Get the hell out of here.” https://www.theguardian.com/politics...downing-street
            And your president now praises the man who did this. And all you provide is relativism.

Comment

Trump was wrong to praise Gianforte's inexcusable action during the campaign.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                Take your relativism and whataboutism elsewhere.
                Translation: "How dare you expose my blatant liberal hypocrisy!"

----------

"Tonight, as Greg (Gianforte) was giving a separate interview in a private office, The Guardian's Ben Jacobs entered the office without permission, aggressively shoved a recorder in Greg's face, and began asking badgering questions," Scanlon said in a statement. "Jacobs was asked to leave. After asking Jacobs to lower the recorder, Jacobs declined. Greg then attempted to grab the phone that was pushed in his face. Jacobs grabbed Greg's wrist, and spun away from Greg, pushing them both to the ground. It's unfortunate that this aggressive behavior from a liberal journalist created this scene at our campaign volunteer BBQ."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/greg-gi...n-allegations/

----------

So first of all, the reporter in question wasn't exactly innocent. And, secondly, yes, it was a relatively mild isolated incident compared to the continuing violence -- and the continuing calls for violence -- against Republicans.

Comment

Translation: "How dare you expose my blatant liberal hypocrisy!"

----------

"Tonight, as Greg (Gianforte) was giving a separate interview in a private office, The Guardian's Ben Jacobs entered the office without permission, aggressively shoved a recorder in Greg's face, and began asking badgering questions," Scanlon said in a statement. "Jacobs was asked to leave. After asking Jacobs to lower the recorder, Jacobs declined. Greg then attempted to grab the phone that was pushed in his face. Jacobs grabbed Greg's wrist, and spun away from Greg, pushing them both to the ground. It's unfortunate that this aggressive behavior from a liberal journalist created this scene at our campaign volunteer BBQ."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/greg-gi...n-allegations/

----------

So first of all, the reporter in question wasn't exactly innocent. And, secondly, yes, it was a relatively mild isolated incident compared to the continuing violence -- and the continuing calls for violence -- against Republicans.
                  Translation: "How dare you ask me to stay on topic and start a new thread about another topic i would like to discuss. You are preventing me from using this other topic to take focus away from what I would rather not discuss!"

And here is now your own source describes what you insist on calling "a relatively mild isolated incident "

Acuna's account continued:

"At that point, Gianforte grabbed Jacobs by the neck with both hands and slammed him into the ground behind him. Faith, Keith (Acuna's producer and crew) and I watched in disbelief as Gianforte then began punching the man, as he moved on top the reporter and began yelling something to the effect of 'I'm sick and tired of this!'

"Jacobs scrambled to his knees and said something about his glasses being broken. He asked Faith, Keith and myself for our names. In shock, we did not answer. He then said he wanted the police called and went to leave. Gianforte looked at the three of us and repeatedly apologized. At that point, I told him and Scanlon, who was now present, that we needed a moment. The men then left."
                  And here is another report on the incident:

A crew of Fox News reporters witnessed the attack on the Guardian’s correspondent in Bozeman. According to their firsthand account, Gianforte grabbed Jacobs by the neck with both hands as the reporter was posing questions to him.

The crew wrote: “He then slammed [Jacobs] into the ground behind him. [We] watched in disbelief as Gianforte then began punching the reporter.”

Jacobs was taken by ambulance to a hospital and treated for an elbow injury.

Gianforte pleaded guilty to a charge of assault and was sentenced to four days in jail as a misdemeanor. The sentence was later changed to 40 hours of community service, a fine and a compulsory anger-management course. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ian-ben-jacobs
                  And here is Fox News (also quoted above) writing about the person who you like to describe as "wasn't exactly innocent":

To be clear, at no point did any of us who witnessed this assault see Jacobs show any form of physical aggression toward Gianforte, who left the area after giving statements to local sheriff's deputies. https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gre...-slam-reporter
                  Last edited by Charles; 10-20-2018, 08:54 AM.

Comment

More from Fox News' description:

During that conversation, another man — who we now know is Ben Jacobs of The Guardian — walked into the room with a voice recorder, put it up to Gianforte's face and began asking if he had a response to the newly released Congressional Budget Office report on the American Health Care Act. Gianforte told him he would get to him later. Jacobs persisted with his question. Gianforte told him to talk to his press guy, Shane Scanlon.

At that point, Gianforte grabbed Jacobs by the neck with both hands and slammed him into the ground behind him. Faith, Keith and I watched in disbelief as Gianforte then began punching the reporter. As Gianforte moved on top of Jacobs, he began yelling something to the effect of, "I'm sick and tired of this!" https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gre...-slam-reporter

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                      More from Fox News' description:
                      There can be no possible way for Trump to praise this man's actions and it not be a bad thing. It is disgraceful for a president of the US to be found publically condoning such action. it does appear to have been a step to far even for fox. I hope it was. And I hope more of those that would normally defend Trump will be able to honestly respond to this as Rogue06 has done. Thanks Rogue.

Jim
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

As usual, the truth is likely in the middle: the reporter burst into a private office uninvited and aggressively shoved a recording device in Gianforte's face, and Gianforte overreacted by attempting to grab the recorder and in the process pushed the man to the floor.

At any rate, Trump making light of an isolated incident that happened a year ago versus continued aggression against Republicans and calls for violence from Democrats, I can't help but think the latter is significantly worse.

Comment

As usual, the truth is likely in the middle: the reporter burst into a private office uninvited and aggressively shoved a recording device in Gianforte's face, and Gianforte overreacted by attempting to grab the recorder and in the process pushed the man to the floor.

At any rate, Trump making light of an isolated incident that happened a year ago versus continued aggression against Republicans and calls for violence from Democrats, I can't help but think the latter is significantly worse.
                          And yet you spend your time on an off topic theme in this thread instead of spending your time on a new thread on what you find significantly worse. It is rather obviuos that your whataboutism is your excuse for not having to confront what Trump actually said.

To avoid responsibility by pointing to something worse is certainly not to push for higher standards. Quite the opposite. It is part of the reason the USA now has a president who praises a criminal act. Your reluctance to clearly oppose his celebration of violence is duly noted.

For all practical matters you rely on relativism. Go for higher and lasting standards.

Comment

To call Trump's lighthearted jest a "celebration of violence" is the kind of exaggerated and emotionally charged language that makes reasoned discussion impossible.

Meanwhile, liberals are quick to condemn Trump for what he says while turning a blind eye to what their own actually do. The incidences of violence perpetrated against conservatives is in the hundreds. Sad!

Comment

I'm happy for you, Charles, that you managed to find a counter-example from a year and a half ago to gleefully shove in our faces. Gianforte was wrong to snap, and Trump was wrong to voice approval of it.

I'll wait patiently for you to acknowledge that violence from Democrats is wrong, too.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment