Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump praises assault on reporter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    FIFY n/c
    The simple fact is that Charles is right. It just doesn't matter that you like his posting style or his politics, and that does not give license to dismiss his point. This was not a trivial assault. The level of bodily injury did not meet the criteria for felony assault (thankfully for the reporter), but it was not a minor assault, and from the sound of it Gianforte could easily have done much more harm than he did. IOW, he got away with a misdemeanor through no restraint on his part.

To minimize the assault, and Trump's praise of it, is wrong. Just as wrong as looking the other way when Antifa incites violence at a rally.

Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-21-2018, 10:33 PM.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
      What actions? You point to none...
      There are generally two sides to debates here, Charles. You just so happen to be consistently on the side labeled "Democrat/liberal". However you protest otherwise, it's your general stance on issues that gets you lumped in with them. Further, your noted lack of nannying those on that side reinforces that impression.
      Nope. Your line of reasoning seems to imply you think along those lines.
      I nearly think you're deliberately trying to make me angry via absurdly false accusations, Charles. My lumping you with the Democrats in general has nothing whatsoever to do with this thread.
      Why is it on topic? I never got an answer.
      Since you're talking about an instance of politically-induced violence, and MM is bringing up similar instances....
      You missed something very fundamental it seems. Trump's praise of the assult was not given in may 2017 but a few days ago. The actions back then were bad enough but the fact that Trump praises the assult and did so a few days ago obviously means that my OP is not from may 2017. I wonder how much attention you paid to any of this if you got that impression.
      I did miss that. Thank you for finally making that clear. I don't hang on Trump's every word, and I hadn't seen any news stories on it.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        There are generally two sides to debates here, Charles. You just so happen to be consistently on the side labeled "Democrat/liberal". However you protest otherwise, it's your general stance on issues that gets you lumped in with them. Further, your noted lack of nannying those on that side reinforces that impression.
        Nope. I go for what I think is morally defensable. I don't care about your traditional boxes and I have never supported Hillary or Obama or whomever. You have a very simple view on this if you think it is all about political boxes.

I nearly think you're deliberately trying to make me angry via absurdly false accusations, Charles. My lumping you with the Democrats in general has nothing whatsoever to do with this thread.
        The only false thing going on is that you try to put me in a box in which I don't belong and identify me with views I don't hold.

Since you're talking about an instance of politically-induced violence, and MM is bringing up similar instances....
        I am opposed to politically-induced violence of all sorts and encouraged MM to start a post about what he found was more important instead of being of topic in this thread that he likes to claim is less important and yet spends a lot more time on (wonder why....). This thread is about the fact that Trump (who believe it or not is actually president) praises the assault on a reporter. When the president praises the assult he is certainly not making it easier to push for higher standards in general. [/QUOTE]
        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          As usual, the truth is likely in the middle: the reporter burst into a private office uninvited and aggressively shoved a recording device in Gianforte's face, and Gianforte overreacted by attempting to grab the recorder and in the process pushed the man to the floor.
          The “truth” is quite straight forward. The episode occurred at Gianforte’s campaign headquarters in Montana and the Guardian reporter was doing what reporters are supposed to do, ask questions. According to an account published on the Fox News website “Gianforte has been charged with misdemeanor assault after he is alleged to have slammed a Guardian reporter to the floor on the eve of the state’s special election, breaking his glasses and shouting: “Get the hell out of here.”

The fact that Trump is praising this action is consistent with his history of comments encouraging violence against the media.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/back...ry?id=48415766

At any rate, Trump making light of an isolated incident that happened a year ago versus continued aggression against Republicans and calls for violence from Democrats,
          It's not an "isolated incident," this is the point. See above.

I can't help but think the latter is significantly worse.
          Of course you do.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Misdemeanor assault is what you get when you push somebody. If the media reports were true then he would have certainly been handed a felony. I'll let you figure out the rest for yourself.

Meanwhile, violence against Republicans continues to escalate with the approval and encouragement of Democrat party leaders
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

If that were accurate then Gianforte would have surely been convicted of felony assault. The fact that he wasn't, and that the reporter did not sustain serious injuries consistent with being choked and repeatly punched should make you question FOX News' description of events.
              Why would a group of Fox News reporters have any motivation to lie about the actions of a Republican Senator from Montana? Does it not strike you as a step too far when you have to start maligning one of the few 'friends' in the media Trump has to justify the actions of Donald Trump?

And just to be clear what sort of assault is required to be Felony assault. Here is the definition from New York:

Source: the Blanch Law Firm

Both levels require that a victim suffer a “physical injury” of varying severity but with felony assault, the physical injury must be severe that creates a substantial risk of death, or actually causes death, long-term disfigurement, ill health, or loss or impairment of an organ.

© Copyright Original Source

So your assumption that the actions as described by the Fox news reporters would constitute felony assault is false. A few bruises or cuts from some punches apparently do NOT rise to that level.

Jim
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                Why would a group of Fox News reporters have any motivation to lie about the actions of a Republican Senator from Montana?
                I don't know, but it seems the story has at least been exaggerated. It reminds me of the Corey Lewindowski/Michelle Fields scuffle which was wildly overblown by the media. It's not usual to see reporters "support their own" even if they happen to be on opposite sides of the political divide.

Does it not strike you as a step too far when you have to start maligning one of the few 'friends' in the media Trump has to justify the actions of Donald Trump?
                Not everybody who works for FOX is necessarily a friend of Trump.

And just to be clear what sort of assault is required to be Felony assault. Here is the definition from New York:

Source: the Blanch Law Firm

Both levels require that a victim suffer a “physical injury” of varying severity but with felony assault, the physical injury must be severe that creates a substantial risk of death, or actually causes death, long-term disfigurement, ill health, or loss or impairment of an organ.

It's not as cut and dry as that:

Source: Felony Assault in New York

There are two levels of felony assault – the lower level Class D felony of second-degree assault and the higher level Class B felony of first-degree assault. Both levels require that a victim suffer a “physical injury” of varying severity. More specifically, while second-degree assault can be charged in some cases if a victim suffers simply a “physical injury,” the higher level first-degree assault requires a more severe “serious physical injury.” Besides the requirement of injury, both levels of felony assault share other factors. For instance, both levels cover injuries caused either intentionally or recklessly. Also, both levels of felony assault encompass injuries caused by either a “deadly weapon” or “dangerous instrument.” Before turning to the specifics of each felony assault crime, let’s define some of the common factors.

Physical injury versus serious physical injury

A “physical injury” occurs when a victim suffers at least some physical – not mental – injury or pain. That is because New York law defines “physical injury” as “impairment of physical condition or substantial pain.”

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.co...d-assault-laws

If the reports are true (choking, being body slammed, repeatedly punched, injuries serious enough to require a hospital visit) then it would have been a slam dunk for second degree felonious assault.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  The “truth” is quite straight forward....
                  Why is it that whenever you lead with something like this, we know we're about to get the Tassmerized version?
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't know, but it seems the story has at least been exaggerated. It reminds me of the Corey Lewindowski/Michelle Fields scuffle which was wildly overblown by the media. It's not usual to see reporters "support their own" even if they happen to be on opposite sides of the political divide.

Not everybody who works for FOX is necessarily a friend of Trump.

It's not as cut and dry as that:

Source: Felony Assault in New York

There are two levels of felony assault – the lower level Class D felony of second-degree assault and the higher level Class B felony of first-degree assault. Both levels require that a victim suffer a “physical injury” of varying severity. More specifically, while second-degree assault can be charged in some cases if a victim suffers simply a “physical injury,” the higher level first-degree assault requires a more severe “serious physical injury.” Besides the requirement of injury, both levels of felony assault share other factors. For instance, both levels cover injuries caused either intentionally or recklessly. Also, both levels of felony assault encompass injuries caused by either a “deadly weapon” or “dangerous instrument.” Before turning to the specifics of each felony assault crime, let’s define some of the common factors.

Physical injury versus serious physical injury

A “physical injury” occurs when a victim suffers at least some physical – not mental – injury or pain. That is because New York law defines “physical injury” as “impairment of physical condition or substantial pain.”

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.co...d-assault-laws

If the reports are true (choking, being body slammed, repeatedly punched, injuries serious enough to require a hospital visit) then it would have been a slam dunk for second degree felonious assault.
                    I'm sure there are many factors mm. The point was the assumption by the the assault would necessarily rise to the level of felony assault of the reporters description was accurate is false. And it was that assumption that drove your conclusion the reporters were not telling the truth. And it was the idea the reporters might be lying that justified belittling the attack. And if the attack was not all that severe, then you can claim the shock at Trump's comments is over the top.

Jim

Comment

"House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy’s (R-CA) office in Bakersfield, CA, was vandalized by two men who threw a boulder through the window, according to McCarthy."
                      https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...-with-boulder/

But, no, let's all focus on Trump's literally harmless jest.

Comment

I'm sure there are many factors mm. The point was the assumption by the the assault would necessarily rise to the level of felony assault of the reporters description was accurate is false. And it was that assumption that drove your conclusion the reporters were not telling the truth. And it was the idea the reporters might be lying that justified belittling the attack. And if the attack was not all that severe, then you can claim the shock at Trump's comments is over the top.
                        I never said the reporters were lying, I said that their report of the incident was likely exaggerated, since what they described -- the victim grabbed by neck, slammed to the floor, and then repeatedly punched -- would not have resulted in a slap on the wrist misdemeanor.

Comment

I never said the reporters were lying, I said that their report of the incident was likely exaggerated, since what they described -- the victim grabbed by neck, slammed to the floor, and then repeatedly punched -- would not have resulted in a slap on the wrist misdemeanor.
                          Well, we just saw exactly how it could indeed result in only a misdemeanor. So your willingness to minimize what happened is unjustified.

Jim

Comment

"House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy’s (R-CA) office in Bakersfield, CA, was vandalized by two men who threw a boulder through the window, according to McCarthy."
                            https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...-with-boulder/

That would be today. There is nothing good about it - I agree with you it is bad - but it is in the same spirit as what the President has done. In fact, it is the president's penchant for chaos and discord, amplified by his base, that is tending to fuel acts like this on both sides, and I don't quite follow why you don't see that fact. It is what happens when both sides 'hit back 10 times harder'. Escalation is inevitable.

But this thread concerns an action of the president two weeks ago in the same timeframe as it was becoming clear a Washington Post journalist was killed by political/financial 'friends' of POTUS and his family, the Saudi's. What the president did was not a harmless jest. It amplifies and brings to light a serious flaw in both judgement and empathy in the man leading this country and I believe it is worthy of discussion.

Jim
                            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-23-2018, 10:08 PM.

Comment

The problem is that it is not just a "literally harmless jest". Trump's "jest" in praising this action is consistent with his long history of comments demeaning the press as "the enemy of the people" and encouraging violence against it. It's a pattern. Freedom of the press is essential in a democracy; it enables public participation in making decisions based on the free flow of information and facts. Without it, people would be unable to make informed decisions.
                              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Yes, it looks like the good ol’ US of A has tripped up and fallen face first in the gutter.
                                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment